Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social Welfare

• 06-08-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm due a visit from the social welfare because I applied for Job Seekers Allowance. I am really worried. What do they ask? I've heard stories from people that they are really mean and that they tear into you. Does anyone have any experience of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I'm due a visit from the social welfare because I applied for Job Seekers Allowance. I am really worried. What do they ask? I've heard stories from people that they are really mean and that they tear into you. Does anyone have any experience of it?

Not at all, people are just trying to scare you. They just want to make sure that you have no source of income and that you are trying to get work. Bring a few application letters, and all your bank statements and be polite and courteous and everything will be fine.

I've met three social welfare inspectors over the years. One was outright rude and accused me of lying to her ("No one can live on €50 a week!" - I have done, and on a quarter of that, and it's easy. Maybe SHE never lived on less than €50 a week.)

The other two inspectors I met were very understanding, business like and no problem to deal with. Like anything in life, you'll get the good ones and bad ones. Most of them are decent people, just trying to do their jobs properly and make sure no one's attempting to cheat the system. Have all your documents in order and be upfront about everything and you will have no trouble.

Don't stress! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If the inspector is rude then make a complaint to their Department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

If your claim is honest then you should have nothing to be worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I got one before. The only asked me for photo id then the left. No questions, no fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

I had one a while ago and he was a total pr1ck. Kept trying to catch me out, trip me up and confuse me. I wasn't hiding anything but he made me feel like I was. And he openly admitted that when he had called previously 2 days before and I wasn't there he had reached into my letterbox and took out all of the letters and wrote down the names of all the people addressed (I still get lots of letters for former occupants). That's gotta be illegal, it's inside the hall of the apartment building, he had no right to touch that. I nearly threw him out after he said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to State Benefits

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

Fiend-Foe wrote: »
    I had one a while ago and he was a total pr1ck. Kept trying to catch me out, trip me up and confuse me. I wasn't hiding anything but he made me feel like I was. And he openly admitted that when he had called previously 2 days before and I wasn't there he had reached into my letterbox and took out all of the letters and wrote down the names of all the people addressed (I still get lots of letters for former occupants). That's gotta be illegal, it's inside the hall of the apartment building, he had no right to touch that. I nearly threw him out after he said that.

Jesus Christ, thats outrageous.

My 1st home interview with welfare inspector was "ok" but a tad intimidating coz she came with a colleague, refused the offer of tea/coffee and was quite unfriendly. My advice: be honest, have a sample of job seeking correspondence/bank statements etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

Refusing tea or coffee was no reflection on you. The Inspector usually has several people notified that they are calling and they are very restricted on time so therefore could not possibly drink tea or coffee in every household. They could have to call to between 10 and 12 people in a 100 km radius so they can be under pressure. They usually send you a list of the details that they require in order to do a means assessment on your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I have been waiting for the inspector to come out for months and they have never come, never made an appointment. Then I got a letter saying that they are denying me payment because they have called round on several occassions and I haven't been there. I don't believe anyone has ever called round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

The Inspector is not obliged to notify you when calling but if they did call and you were not there they would leave a card or a note stating that the called. You could check if they have the correct address for you.

There was never any note or card left, I think they must have been going to the wrong house. I am going into them tomorrow morning to appeal the decision anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

notsobusy wrote: »
    There was never any note or card left, I think they must have been going to the wrong house. I am going into them tomorrow morning to appeal the decision anyway.

There is nothing to appeal, there was no decision made on your claim - it would have been closed as they could not meet you at your address.
    You will have to make a new claim, and request then to have to backdated to the date of your last claim as you state you were available at your address.

I was there and so was my mum and my brother and they have said that no one has ever come to the house looking for me if I wasn't there.
    Of course I have an appeal, their decision is unfair. I meet all the criteria so what's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

notsobusy wrote: »

Its gas isnt it they say you have to be out looking for a job but if they call and your not at home sitting on your ass you loose your payment !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

My claim is dated 14th June. I'm doing a thesis due next month but I'm looking for work and could work full time. I have a letter from college and all that. However, I was denied supplementary welfare because "I'm still a student" - grr...

I have managed to miss two visits. First time, I had signed back in after a holiday, and arrived back from town about an hour and a half later to find I had just missed a visit. Surely that is unreasonable, giving me so little time to get back to the house. The woman fits the description of the one who gave me my means test but she didn't actually tell my housemate she was from social welfare.

Second visit was a week and a half later, I had headed to the gym. Same housemate answered and offered to ring me to come home but the woman just said she would call again. Again no indication she was from social welfare.

Since then I've chained myself to the house all day every weekday in case I miss her again. I have had no correspondence of any type to say my claim was stopped or to give notice of a pending visit. Its been over 2 weeks, and to be quite frank, its ridiculous!! What if I had a job interview?! I can't even hand out CVs if I'm in the house from 8-6 every day waiting for the visit. And besides that I'm going insane, afraid to go for a pint of milk or a bloody walk.

What can I do? Tried ringing the day of the second visit but it just rings out. Would they definitely post something in the door if I missed them again?

HELP! :(

Advertisement