Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BHAA Grant Thornton Firhouse 10km 11/09/2010

• 06-08-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Same race as the last few years just a new organiser.

http://bhaa.ie/members/app/event/index/tag/grantthorn2010

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 13 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0% 0 votes
    4 stars (good)
    23% 3 votes
    3 stars (average)
    76% 10 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0% 0 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Will probably do this (after reshuffling my long run to midweek), it'd be a shame not to do a race where I can walk to the race headquarters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Tea and sandwiches in rainbow Kirby's after the fight team race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm only 50:50 for this fly back from Morocco the night before (don't get excited it's only with work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'm only 50:50 for this fly back from Morocco the night before (don't get excited it's only with work)

Morocco for work-who are ya -James Bond!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Can someone more savvy than me construct a table for people to use for putting their name forward as well as their estimated time? Cheers.

Slogger Jogger, 38:00

• Advertisement

This table is for those who want to enter into the Boards Team competition. Not for general speculation on your target time!
    Name|Estimated Finish Time
    Slogger Jogger|38:00
    Krusty_Clown|36:25

By the way. is the route pretty flat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

This table is for those who want to enter into the Boards Team competition. Not for general speculation on your target time!
    ecoli|36.00

There are no major hills however almost a mile (per lap) with a very subtle climb but then there a good down hill so should be a good one for PB s

Racing flats not trail shoes this time KC ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

ecoli|36.00
    gerard65|42:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Morocco for work-who are ya -James Bond!

Boringly, call center heaven hell I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great to see the interest, just to remind yous how we seeded folk last year, we used 5k/5m or 10k race times and these would be from recent races and we put them into Mcmillan to get your projected 10k finish time as some folk have not done a 10k and then it was fastest with slowest and whichever teams accumulative time was the quickest was the winner.

Not that yee have to do it that way.

Woddle wrote: »
    Great to see the interest, just to remind yous how we seeded folk last year, we used 5k/5m or 10k race times and these would be from recent races and we put them into Mcmillan to get your projected 10k finish time as some folk have not done a 10k and then it was fastest with slowest and whichever teams accumulative time was the quickest was the winner.

Not that yee have to do it that way.

You not throwing your name in being in our neck of the woods? or you gone tri exclusive these days?:D

ecoli wrote: »
    You not throwing your name in being in our neck of the woods? or you gone tri exclusive these days?:D

I'll be racing a tri in Galway, bad planning on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

ecoli|36.00
    Tunguska|33:50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Louthandproud| 43:30
    ecoli|36.00

Nothing much to base it off of but aiming to improve last years by a minute..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Will probably do this (after reshuffling my long run to midweek), it'd be a shame not to do a race where I can walk to the race headquarters :)

We must run the same routes....I'll be running by the Scholars on Tuesday wearing a long black coat, moustache, dark glasses and sporting M40 gait :cool:

Would like to do this but need to see how I can fit it in to the Marathon training....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Would like to do this but need to see how I can fit it in to the Marathon training....

Yeah, me too - plus the half marathon is a week later... decisions, decisions.

RayCun wrote: »

Yeah, starting to think I'll do the half purely as a training run, pick up my shirt and forget about the time..

digger2d2 wrote: »
    We must run the same routes....I'll be running by the Scholars on Tuesday wearing a long black coat, moustache, dark glasses and sporting M40 gait :cool:

Funny that, I do go past the Scholars quite a lot when I'm running... :pac: It's amazing just how many people on here live in the area!

I did this last year during marathon training, I just reshuffled the long run (12 miles - stepback week) to midweek - I think I did it on the Wednesday evening, and treated the 10k at the weekend as a substitute for a midweek sorta-long run. Got a big PB too, might be worth it as a confidence booster at that stage of training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

I'm on a stag weekend, so won't be around.

However, I do have the trophy from last year and it would only be appropriate for it to be awarded to the winners this year.

• Advertisement

I did this last year during marathon training, I just reshuffled the long run (12 miles - stepback week) to midweek - I think I did it on the Wednesday evening, and treated the 10k at the weekend as a substitute for a midweek sorta-long run. Got a big PB too, might be worth it as a confidence booster at that stage of training.

Having checked my 'diary' (An A4 sheet on the back of a press door) and worked out the dates I think this falls into a stepback week for me!! Haven't done a 10k before (apart from the '9k' Aware event last year) so would like to see how I can do...Maybe try break 45 mins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ecoli|36.00
    menoscemo|42:08

What are we basing our times on exactly? I am putting down my time from the 10k in Parkwest last month, but I will be running the Frank Duffy 10 miler next weekend, should I then revise based on that?

Krusty_Clown|36:50
    ecoli|36.00

Yeah, that makes sense. I've switched mine back to my last road race (also a 10k).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

RayCun wrote: »

Easy solution: Just make that day your long run. Do the race, go home, have a stretch and a bit of grub then do a 10-12mile run later. That'll give you a good quality days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

ecoli|36.00
    smmoore71|36.30

Yeah, that makes sense. I've switched mine back to my last road race (also a 10k).

Looks like a nice flat course; A little close to the marathon but might use as a tempo session..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Woddle wrote: »
    I'll be racing a tri in Galway, bad planning on my part.

You're a lost cause!

This is a great little event, I'll wait a bit to confirm my attendance but I should be good to go for it

Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli|36.00
    smmoore79|36:30
    *Note: Time should be the McMillan equivalent of a recent road race. So if you ran a 5K race recently, enter the time into McMillan and post the equivalent 10k time.

Fixed it for you smmoore79. Since when is 36:30 10k a tempo run? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli|36.00
    *Note: Time should be the McMillan equivalent of a recent road race. So if you ran a 5K race recently, enter the time into McMillan and post the equivalent 10k time.

Fixed it for you smmoore79. Since when is 36:30 10k a tempo run? :eek:
    So is this your current race time , my last race was a 10k in 54 mins or something but dont want to put that down as it woudl be a little unfair .

shels4ever wrote: »
    So is this your current race time , my last race was a 10k in 54 mins or something but dont want to put that down as it woudl be a little unfair .
    I didn't do it last year, but Woddle mentioned that it should be on your latest race performance. So for example, if your last race was 1,500m in 5:30, stick it into McMillan and you get a 10k of 42:38.

What's going on with the tables?

• Advertisement

I didn't do it last year, but Woddle mentioned that it should be on your latest race performance. So for example, if your last race was 1,500m in 5:30, stick it into McMillan and you get a 10k of 42:38.

The table probably couldn't handle the speed of your last 10k KC!

The table probably couldn't handle the speed of your last 10k KC!
    LOL. I'm one of the slowest in the table!

LOL. I'm one of the slowest in the table!

I could just add my name to the table and make everyone else look like they're going at warp speed :pac:

I could just add my name to the table and make everyone else look like they're going at warp speed :pac:
    Please. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Last race was a 54 min 10k ;)... but i'll wait until the 10 mile next week and use that time, i'd expect to befaster through 10k then my last 10k race .

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Count me in, did it last year.

My time based on last race (excluding Adidas 5m) gives me a time of 41:49.

Could somebody edit table for me please.

• Advertisement

Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli|36.00
    Ral3 |41:49

Added RAL3
    Edit, messed around with the table there but cannot get it to work. Where is Robinph The Table Man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

I got the table working over there but it doesn't want to work when I paste the same code here.

jlang wrote: »
    I got the table working over there but it doesn't want to work when I paste the same code here.

Just set up a thread on helpdesk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

What's with the table business?
    Is it only for BAC members?

Same here for me, I can walk to this - wait better clarify it starts in Cherryfield doesn't it? - so I have to sign up

I've never 10ked in a race but would hope to do in around 48...... if I can't run fast I can always run home in shame!

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    What's with the table business?
    Is it only for BAC members?

Same here for me, I can walk to this - wait better clarify it starts in Cherryfield doesn't it? - so I have to sign up

I've never 10ked in a race but would hope to do in around 48...... if I can't run fast I can always run home in shame!

Last year some boards members had a competition where people are teamed up in teams of two (based on predicted time) these were combined and team with the lowest time won. Idea is thatlowest predicted time goes with the highest to make things as fair as possible.
    This is not BAC but rather board members (i hope if not a few of us are in a predicament:D)

• Advertisement

Last year some boards members had a competition where people are teamed up in teams of two (based on predicted time) these were combined and team with the lowest time won. Idea is thatlowest predicted time goes with the highest to make things as fair as possible.
    This is not BAC but rather board members (i hope if not a few of us are in a predicament:D)
    I presume that it's a case of the more the merrier. Any of the BAC Board care to opine?

Sounds like a good idea-
    So what I'm now thinking is that I should have said I'd go around in 59.....
    Plugged my numbers into McMillan calculator and with my current 5km pb and my 5m (4.8....) from a few weeks back it predicts a 10km of 51.58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli|36.00
    Ral3 |41:49

I'm out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

here is the flyer for this 10k .
    feel free to print off and hang up at work. Remember you only need 2 others to form a team. A good ladies team could clean up!!

email inf@bhaa.ie for any other info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I've signed up to do this, I too can walk to the start line. Last 10k was Dunshaughlin, PB of 52:03, would love to beat that time (naturally :) )

I'm pretty familiar with this loop and to be honest, I do not like it atall, not sure why, I just have a mental block about certain roads and routes I train on. This is one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm pretty familiar with this loop and to be honest, I do not like it atall, not sure why, I just have a mental block about certain roads and routes I train on. This is one of them.

+ 1 on this. I'm familar with it as well and it is not as flat as it is claimed and the it always seems to be windy heading up the Firhouse Road.

.....but I'll still be there!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Can't decide whether to do this BHAA race or the one in Adamstown. If anybody ran Adamstown (it was 8k last year) and this BHAA race could they PM to let me know which they'd recommend for a fast time.
    Thanks

Doing the Adidas Dublin Half and want to do this....
    Issue is that I have only done 11 in terms of distance (this weekend) and don't have many more weekends to do the 13.1 before the half

Just wondering would it be better to do 12/13 long run or do the 10km as a blow out.
    I've never done a 10km as a race before and I could actually do a 1km warm up jog from my door to the start of the race.... Decisions decisions

I think 11 is enough for a half. 10 km should be fun but if the half is a goal race, I would just concentrate on that and leave the 10k for another day.

I'm out of this. Need to do 18 miles that weekend if I'm going to be on track for DCM. Might offer my services as a volunteer though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement