Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BHAA Grant Thornton Firhouse 10km 11/09/2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'm out of this. Need to do 18 miles that weekend if I'm going to be on track for DCM. Might offer my services as a volunteer though.

Ah that's a pity, but the LSRs are king. If you're thinking of going to the Phoenix park on Saturday, I'd be happy to give you a lift over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

How can you sign up for this online? Ive tried several times by logging on to BHAA.ie but no joy. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tunguska wrote: »
    How can you sign up for this online? Ive tried several times by logging on to BHAA.ie but no joy. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    I think you can only pre-register (i.e. put your name down. You still have to print out the form, sign it, and pay on the day). If you visit this page, then click on [Register as a Day Member for the BHAA Grant Thornton event], it'll bring you to here where you can enter your details. Not sure that there's really any point in pre-registering though. Only 16 souls have done it, with the race coming up in a week and a half, I presume most people just turn up on the day.

Anyone know if it will be accurately measured?

[QUOTE Not sure that there's really any point in pre-registering though. Only 16 souls have done it, with the race coming up in a week and a half, I presume most people just turn up on the day.

[/QUOTE]

I'm one of the 16 souls :o who signed up for this. Afterwards I was thinking 'what was the point of that'!!!??
    yeah, like it was going to be booked out or something! :D

I think you can only pre-register (i.e. put your name down. You still have to print out the form, sign it, and pay on the day). If you visit this page, then click on [Register as a Day Member for the BHAA Grant Thornton event], it'll bring you to here where you can enter your details. Not sure that there's really any point in pre-registering though. Only 16 souls have done it, with the race coming up in a week and a half, I presume most people just turn up on the day.

Anyone know if it will be accurately measured?

Thanks Krusty. I ran this last year and it was bang on 10k. I had a look at the course map and its exactly the same as last year so it should be 100% accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Not sure that there's really any point in pre-registering though.

It just means all your details are on the system when you arrive at registration and you can use the pre-registered queue, it avoids the need to fill out any paperwork on the day and the BHAA having to guess at illegible handwriting, and means your correct name and result will be guaranteed to go up after the race. We're looking at adding a paypal option to allow you to pay up front for a race for future events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Drove the course yesterday, forgot to print the map but seems to be a lot of road works on the last K, hope they are finished before the day could be a bit of a bottle neck with traffic?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Drove the course yesterday, forgot to print the map but seems to be a lot of road works on the last K, hope they are finished before the day could be a bit of a bottle neck with traffic?

Not likely, they've been at that road and roundabout forever. :rolleyes::(
    Traffic is awful over there.

emerald007 wrote: »
    It just means all your details are on the system when you arrive at registration and you can use the pre-registered queue, it avoids the need to fill out any paperwork on the day and the BHAA having to guess at illegible handwriting, and means your correct name and result will be guaranteed to go up after the race. We're looking at adding a paypal option to allow you to pay up front for a race for future events.
    the three letter search by company name is a bit wonky. It just uses that as your company name. Looks like I'm not the only one who fell into the trap! Presumably you'd hope to get more than 16 non-BHAA runners on the day?
    It'll be my first BHAA race. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

the three letter search by company name is a bit wonky. It just uses that as your company name. Looks like I'm not the only one who fell into the trap! Presumably you'd hope to get more than 16 non-BHAA runners on the day?
    It'll be my first BHAA race. Looking forward to it.

Me to signed up at the start of the year and registered but the races just wrong distance at wrong time for me most of the time so ill be making my debut next week. Better late than never i suppose:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

ecoli wrote: »
    Me to signed up at the start of the year and registered but the races just wrong distance at wrong time for me most of the time so ill be making my debut next week. Better late than never i suppose:D

Mistakenly thought the race was this Sat- so I'll get my LSR in of full 1/2 distance this weekend and will do this the week before the half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'm out of this. Easy running only for me for the next few days :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    Louthandproud| 43:30
    gerard65|42:30
    Slogger Jogger|38:00
    Krusty_Clown|36:50
    ecoli|36.00
    Tunguska|33:50
    menoscemo|42:08
    smmoore79|36:30
    Ral3 |41:49
    *Note: Time should be the McMillan equivalent of a recent road race. So if you ran a 5K race recently, enter the time into McMillan and post the equivalent 10k time.

Just 7 of us left. Is this competition going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

menoscemo wrote: »
    Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli|36.00
    Liamo123|anything under 40
    *Note: Time should be the McMillan equivalent of a recent road race. So if you ran a 5K race recently, enter the time into McMillan and post the equivalent 10k time.

Make that 8

liamo123 wrote: »
    Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli|36.00

Make that 8

Hey Liamo, to get in this comp you need to post an exact time. It is not your target time but what mcmillan projects for 10k based on you last race. The idea is to seed the runners based on their projected times and pair them (top seed with bottom seed, second top with second bottom etc.) The winners would be the team with the lowest combined time*

So Join in but stick up an exact time.

* I think this is how it works but I didn't do it last year, can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli|36.00
    figs | 40:35

Have left until now to enter this... last minute work committments may rule me out, but would hope to run this.

Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli|36.00
    shesl4ever | 53:16 based on FD 10 mile

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

Some information for intending runners:

1. The course is accurate - and certified as 10km. There is an amazing level of precision involved in measuring a course which I saw when the course was measured by a qualified measurer last weekend. Remarkably, after we picked a starting point on Ballycullen Drive, we ended up two laps later within 5 meters of that point for the finish line. There will be markers at each km.

2. The council told us many weeks ago that the contractors were due to finish the work at the old roundabout by mid-September. They were working through the night in recent weeks and we have not been overly concerned about this since then. They are still working on the QBC down Ballycullen Road but they fence that off carefully each night and the road width is not seriously affected.

3. My thanks to Krusty_Clown for his tutorials on the Garmin 405. Here is some of what I have picked up. If you want to get kilometer splits but usually use miles for AutoLap, you will need to change some settings as follows:

Menu - Settings - System - Units - Distance - (Select Metric)

Menu - Training - Options - AutoLap - By Distance (Enter 1.00 - should already show KM)

And if you usually use miles, don't forget to change it back afterwards. (I hope that this is all correct.)

4. Headphones are not permitted under BHAA rules.

Racman wrote: »
    3. My thanks to Krusty_Clown for his tutorials on the Garmin 405. Here is some of what I have picked up. If you want to get kilometer splits but usually use miles for AutoLap, you will need to change some settings as follows...
    Ha! no bother at all. One thing to note: if you have auto-lap set to 1km laps, the likeliness that these will match up with the organizers 1km markers are pretty slim. Because of GPS accuracy and a runner's tendency to not follow the racing line, these will not match up, but will be close enough.

An alternative approach would be to set the watch to lap manually, and hit the lap button as you pass each km marker. (This has turned into the Garmin thread!).

Thanks for the info Racman. Sounds like it's going to be a solid race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli|36.00
    Plodder | 43:30

Based on last race at K-club some months ago. Mainly, will be out to beat a mate of mine who's got back to running recently ...

• Advertisement

Hmm.. Mcmillan now predicts 35:50 for me.. Eek..

Hmm.. Mcmillan now predicts 35:50 for me.. Eek..

It only says that because of all the good times your putting into it ;) would love mcmillan to say something like that to me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Can anyone suggest a suitable place to park on Saturday morning ? I will be approaching via the M50 coming from the south.

huskerdu wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a suitable place to park on Saturday morning ? I will be approaching via the M50 coming from the south.

There are numerous estates that you can park up around parking shouldnt be a problem at all

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

autonumtitle=Position"
    Name|Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli|36.00
    Liamo123| 40:40 fixed..sorry about that

Based on last race at K-club some months ago. Mainly, will be out to beat a mate of mine who's got back to running recently ...[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

huskerdu wrote: »

They've used the grass at the entrance to the race HQ as an overflow car park in the past years, so i think you'll be fine.

Name | Estimated 10k Time*
    Tunguska | 33:50
    Krusty_Clown | 35:50
    ecoli | 36.00
    smmoore79 | 36:30
    Liamo123 | 40:40
    Ral3 | 41:49
    menoscemo | 42:08
    Louthandproud | 43:30
    shesl4ever | 53:16

Looks like 11 runners or 5.5 teams at the moment. can we get one more to make it 6 teams?
    Should we run the comp based fastest combined times or fastest in relation to the combined mcmillan predicted times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Name|Target time*
    TheRoadRunner | 34.20
    ecoli | 36.00

Table was doing my nut in. Not perfect but better than what was there. I'll split the difference regarding my target pace ran a 10k last Thursday in 34.50. McMillian gives me a crazy target for a recent 10 mile race. So I'll go with 34.20 as a compromise if that is ok with everybody else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

I can see this being a real battle between Tunguska and TheRoadRunner - would be a great one to watch...

The Hammer wrote: »
    I can see this being a real battle between Tunguska and TheRoadRunner - would be a great one to watch...

Going on times looks like Tunguska will be about 30 sec infront of TheRoadRunner he'll need to up his game .

• Advertisement

sohow does this work is the person at the top of the table paired with the person at the bottom of the table etc. If so I need to get LouthandProuds postal address as I've a package of EPO sweets I need couriered to him ASAP. I'm on the sweets myself and want my team mate to try them out :)

sohow does this work is the person at the top of the table paired with the person at the bottom of the table etc. If so I need to get LouthandProuds postal address as I've a package of EPO sweets I need couriered to him ASAP. I'm on the sweets myself and want my team mate to try them out :)

AFAIK, Peckham has the trophy from last year, so first off, we need to get that off him :D
    After that, yes the runners are seeded and paired, top with botom etc.
    I think that last year they added the combined race times and gave the trophy to the team with the quickest times.
    I Personally think it would be fairer to add the two Mcmillan predicted times and the winning team would be the one with the biggest difference between combined predicted time and combined actual time.Hoping a few people will agree with me, after that I don't mind organising it.

AFAIK, Peckham has the trophy from last year, so first off, we need to get that off him :D
    After that, yes the runners are seeded and paired, top with botom etc.
    I think that last year they added the combined race times and gave the trophy to the team with the quickest times.
    I Personally think it would be fairer to add the two Mcmillan predicted times and the winning team would be the one with the biggest difference between combined predicted time and combined actual time.Hoping a few people will agree with me, after that I don't mind organising it.

Yep I think your proposal is the fairest. However maybe the differences should be represented as % to help normalise all runners ?

Yep I think your proposal is the fairest. However maybe the differences should be represented as % to help normalise all runners ?

I guess you have a point. Let's leave this until tomorrow and see if anyone else joins in. Then I can make the teams and add their combined mcmillan predicted times. The winner can be the team whose combined overall result is the lowest % predicted times.
    I'll PM Peckham to see if we can get the trophy for saturday.

Name|Target time*
    TheRoadRunner | 34.20
    ecoli | 36.00

Will prob change my time on friday as I don't think its too fair, that was the mcmillan from the 10mile and i'd say i'd run a couple of mins faster without too much problem, so feel free to cut the time, but not by too much ;).

Name | Estimated 10k Time*
    ecoli | 36.00

Looks like 11 runners or 5.5 teams at the moment. can we get one more to make it 6 teams?
    Should we run the comp based fastest combined times or fastest in relation to the combined mcmillan predicted times?
    If there is only 11 by friday i'll pull out of it to make it even.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dunkelgrun

Name|Target time*
    TheRoadRunner | 34.20
    ecoli | 36.00
    dunkelgrun | 46:53 [based on chip time from FD 10mile]

Add me to the list!

shels4ever wrote: »
    If there is only 11 by friday i'll pull out of it to make it even.
    There was already 12 with the road runner!

There was already 12 with the road runner!

If there are odd numbers what we can do is have the person in the middle of the list be teamed with the average predicted time of all runners and then the average actual time. That way we are not leaving anyone out

• Advertisement

If there are odd numbers what we can do is have the person in the middle of the list be teamed with the average predicted time of all runners and then the average actual time. That way we are not leaving anyone out

If we are doing the % time calculations mentioned above we could have 1 team of 3. This would work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Name|Target time*
    TheRoadRunner | 34.20
    ecoli | 36.00
    Aimman | 48:23 from the Intel 10k

I'll make up the 14th if that helps ;-)

Name|Target time*
    TheRoadRunner | 34.20
    ecoli | 36.00

Table was doing my nut in. Not perfect but better than what was there. I'll split the difference regarding my target pace ran a 10k last Thursday in 34.50. McMillian gives me a crazy target for a recent 10 mile race. So I'll go with 34.20 as a compromise if that is ok with everybody else!

Ah here thats a modest target. I dont wanna jinx you or anything but you'd do 34:20 hopping on one leg. If Im going for 33:50 you'll be 33:20.

tunguska wrote: »
    Ah here thats a modest target. I dont wanna jinx you or anything but you'd do 34:20 hopping on one leg. If Im going for 33:50 you'll be 33:20.

Thanks but I think we are using Mcmillian calculator for predicted times. Target is a little lower allright. I've managed to pick up a bloody head cold in the last couple of days though so that might be a bit of a handicap (getting my excuses in early ;))

A bit less of the cheating please. :)
    If I have to stick in a time that I believe is completely unachievable, then so should everybody else too. Last race only; no massaging the numbers!

If I have to stick in a time that I believe is completely unachievable, then so should everybody else too. Last race only; no massaging the numbers!

My last race was pacing Dingle which has me down for a 47.00. WOOHOO:D

• Advertisement

Last race for him was actually 30 second slower (AFAIK) than he has down so i think he is being more than fair

Last race for him was actually 30 second slower (AFAIK) than he has down so i think he is being more than fair

yep last 10k race (last Thursday) was 30 seconds slower than time I have down. According to Mcmillian Frank Duffy 10 mile time has me down for 33.31. You can use that if you like but I'm getting a nose bleed just thinking about that time.

yep last 10k race (last Thursday) was 30 seconds slower than time I have down. According to Mcmillian Frank Duffy 10 mile time has me down for 33.31. You can use that if you like but I'm getting a nose bleed just thinking about that time.
    Ditto on my Frank Duffy time, but it's as good a time as any to burn out and fail. :)

Name|Target time*
    TheRoadRunner | 33.31
    ecoli | 36.00
    Aimman | 48:23 from the Intel 10k

I'm giving into peer pressure from Krusty and putting my macmillian predicted time down based on a recent 10 mile race. I'll French kiss Krusty if I get anywhere near this time.

1. TheRoadRunner | 33.31
    2. Tunguska | 33:50
    3. Krusty_Clown | 35:50
    4. ecoli | 36.00
    5. smmoore79 | 36:30
    6. figs | 40:35
    7. Liamo123 | 40:40
    8. Ral3 | 41:49
    9. menoscemo | 42:08
    10. Plodder | 43:30
    11. Louthandproud | 43:30
    12. dunkelgrun | 46:53
    13. Aimman | 48:23 f
    14. shesl4ever | 53:16

So these are the seedings as things stand. I'll do up the teams later. Unfortuately there will be no trophy on the day. i was on to Peckham and he is heading off this evening. Winning team members will be able to collect it from him at the Half Marathon next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement