Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Electrican job

Options
  • 06-08-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I'm just wondering how much it should cost to get an Electrican to fit a light and socket in an attick. My Dad reckons it should be a 5 min job and cost € 50. I paid 3 times that amount and it took 2.5 hours. Have I been ripped off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Did you want it done fast or done right?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How much work did he have to do and what way was it wired up?

If he took power from a wire which was already going through the attic, then I would expect that to take at least 30 minutes to do it correctly. Though you usually only get lucky with this, such cables aren't always available, particularly in newer houses.

If he had to run a new cable down to the lighting circuit in the main house (the correct way to do it), then 2.5 hours sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

a bit on the high side, but allowing for travelling time, its about a half days work + about €30 on materials its nothing outrageous.

Usually when looking fr a small job done, check to see if there are other things that could be done too (extra sockets, extra lights elsewhere) as the additional cost for the extra work would be quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Tootle wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how much it should cost to get an Electrican to fit a light and socket in an attick. My Dad reckons it should be a 5 min job and cost € 50. I paid 3 times that amount and it took 2.5 hours. Have I been ripped off?

Next time get your dad to do it... save you a fortune ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

. My Dad reckons it should be a 5 min job and cost € 50. I paid 3 times that amount and it took 2.5 hours. Have I been ripped off?

methinks your dad is ripping you off.

Your Dad = 5 minutes @ €50 = €600 / hour

Electrician = 2.5hrs @ €150 = €60/hour.

Your Dad is 10 times more expensive :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

Ha ha. My Dad advised me of his genius and super capabilities after the deed was done! In fairness he didn't know I was getting a light put in but as I said ge should have offered to do it for me before I thought of it!

Seamus, I think you are correct, he had to drop a wire down to the light circuit. Tbh, I didn't feel like I was ripped off til my Dad suggested. The guy was working flat out the whole time.

Thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Seamus, I think you are correct, he had to drop a wire down to the light circuit. Tbh, I didn't feel like I was ripped off til my Dad suggested. The guy was working flat out the whole time.

Is your dad a qualified and registered electrician? That's really the only question you should be asking. I suspect the answer is no, and if he's anything like my dad, he'd turn your attic into a web of wires too dangerous to even think about.

jor el wrote: »
    Is your dad a qualified and registered electrician? That's really the only question you should be asking. I suspect the answer is no, and if he's anything like my dad, he'd turn your attic into a web of wires too dangerous to even think about.
    No he's not but he reckon there'd be many young unemployed qualified electricans who'd be delighted to do the job for €50

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its always interesting (read irritating) when people who have no capabilities in the area describe a job as 'simple'. It happens over in the digital art forum when people want 'a simple little logo, take you 5 minutes'. Right. If you can't do it, don't tell the people who trained for years how easy their job is.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

Im a qualified electrician and to put a light and socket in a attic, materials normally cost €25-€30, travel, and about 2 hours work, so normally the price is €80-€100.
    Yes your dad is right you will get somebody to do it for €50 but 9 times outta 10 that person wont do a proper job, they will cut corners to save a few quid, and if you cut corners with electrical work it could cost lifes:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If it was done right, then you were not ripped off in anyway.

People who say something can be done in 5 minutes generally don't know exactly what is evolved or how to do it correctly. They take the supply from any cable nearby that has power and think its a great job. Doing it correct could safe your house going on fire, and that would cost you a lot more than €150, it could cost you your life!

looksee wrote: »
    Its always interesting (read irritating) when people who have no capabilities in the area describe a job as 'simple'. It happens over in the digital art forum when people want 'a simple little logo, take you 5 minutes'. Right. If you can't do it, don't tell the people who trained for years how easy their job is.

I agree totally with you. And I should know better than to listen to my Dad, the same man who would rather listen to the advice of someone he met down in the gym, rather than mine, when its my area of speciality!:p

Its just I hate the thought of being ripped off and as I said didn't think I was until he mentioned it. My logic was I cant do the job myself and its 2.5 hours work so I felt it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you had told him budget was a big issue, it's possible that he would have suggested only doing the light, which might have been simpler to do.

You might have gotten it done for less, but remember, as well as the actual work, your electrician may have done the following:

- showed up on time
    - had the correct materials and tools with him
    - caused minimum disruption
    - did the job in a single visit
    - followed the wiring standards
    - tested his work as he went along and at the end
    - watched out for major faults with other parts of the installation as he went along
    - left the workplace as he had found it
    - took waste materials with him
    - had correct insurance
    - was correctly qualified
    - provided or was available to provide after-sales care
    - provided a VAT receipt

All of these aspects don't make any difference to the actual operation of the installation (at the end of the day it's just a light and a socket).

However, they are all things that are worth having if you can afford them. And they do cost money to provide. So you shouldn't feel bad about paying the right price for the right service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

My logic was I cant do the job myself and its 2.5 hours work so I felt it was worth it.

Then you definitely weren't ripped off. If you feel you got value for money, then you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,405 ✭✭✭✭noodler

twitch1984 wrote: »
    Im a qualified electrician and to put a light and socket in a attic, materials normally cost €25-€30, travel, and about 2 hours work, so normally the price is €80-€100.
    Yes your dad is right you will get somebody to do it for €50 but 9 times outta 10 that person wont do a proper job, they will cut corners to save a few quid, and if you cut corners with electrical work it could cost lifes:eek:

Can you get these people prosecuted?

That sounds highly illegal.

If I agree a price with someone for a job then I expect it to be done to a certain standard - if he can't do it properly for the price agreed then he shouldn't do it.

noodler wrote: »
    Can you get these people prosecuted?

That sounds highly illegal.

If I agree a price with someone for a job then I expect it to be done to a certain standard - if he can't do it properly for the price agreed then he shouldn't do it.

It is highly illegal, that person may only be an apprentice, not qualified, not certified, not insured and your not covered if anything happens. They are also not tax compliant with revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Electrical

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Davy wrote: »
    It is highly illegal, that person may only be an apprentice, not qualified, not certified, not insured and your not covered if anything happens. They are also not tax compliant with revenue.

What are the limitations on an unqualified competent person completing electrical work?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What are the limitations on an unqualified competent person completing electrical work?
    Unqualified people regardless of how competent they are (or claim to be) can not carry out any work on any part of a mains voltage electrical installation of reward or otherwise. If they do the work that they do will make the certification of the installation invalid and this may leave them and the customer very exposed! In extream cases the ESB may disconnect and refuse to reconnect until a valid ETCI completion cert is produced. Carry out any electrical work and you are can be prosecuted for the consequences of what goes wrong with it for up to 7 years! If you are not qualified, insured and registered don't do anything beyond changing a light bulb or plug! One of the reasons that good electrical contractors charge more than unqualified people is that they:
    1) Do it safley
    2) Have insurance
    3) Provide you with a test certificate
    4) Stand over their work
    5) Provide a professional service.
    6) Have demonstrated that the required qualifications with a minimum of 4 years full time training.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cobwebs

I still think you were ripped off. A one hour visit with a Doctor will only cost €50. I simple electrical job with an electrician (entry qualifications Junior Cert) costs €150. Parts €15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is a ridiculous argument on so many levels, its hardly worth responding to. However. When did you ever get an hour of a doctor's time for €50? 15 minutes for €60 would be nearer the mark.

And entry level junior cert? It may well be, but to qualify you need to pass exams that I think would be the equivalent of a degree, including regulations, law, and other things that are not directly wiring sockets. It was possibly top end of the price range, but certainly not a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Let's be realistic here. The fact that someone is in a position to certify his installation and has secured insurance does not necessarily mean that he is a good electrician. Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

a lot of bad work was done by registered 'companies' during the boom alright

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Let's be realistic here. The fact that someone is in a position to certify his installation and has secured insurance does not necessarily mean that he is a good electrician. Just saying.
    Point taken. Sadly some electricians are not good. But to stay in business this would be about the price I would expect from my experience. It is true that only a junior cert is required by Fás but in most cases employers look for leaving cert with maths as a minimum. Remember this is only a requirement to start 4 years of full time training. Once completed electricians deserve a reasonable wage. Also factor in the fact that the materials have to be purchased once the job has been assessed. This also takes time and time is money!

For most people their home is the largest investment they will ever make. I have yet to find a good arguement against using an insured tradesman.

Lets get real here! €150 for a 2.5 hour job equals €300 per day minimum, equals €1,500 per week, equals €78,000 per year. When are craftmen going to drop their prices in line with other employees (those who are lucky to have a job). We were ripped off long enough by the building trade.

cobwebs wrote: »
    Lets get real here! €150 for a 2.5 hour job equals €300 per day minimum, equals €1,500 per week, equals €78,000 per year. When are craftmen going to drop their prices in line with other employees (those who are lucky to have a job). We were ripped off long enough by the building trade.

Your calculations has no outgoings. The OP didn't supply the materials, or pick him up from his house give him the tools, and then bring him home either.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

i think ur father like my own is best described as

"jack of all trades master of none":)

Davy wrote: »
    Your calculations has no outgoings. The OP didn't supply the materials, or pick him up from his house give him the tools, and then bring him home either.
    :mad: Okay, so allow €28,000 for outgoings and he still ends up with €50,000 per year. Anyone charging those type of prices in this day and age is taking advantage of the innocents.

looksee wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous argument on so many levels, its hardly worth responding to. However. When did you ever get an hour of a doctor's time for €50? 15 minutes for €60 would be nearer the mark.

And entry level junior cert? It may well be, but to qualify you need to pass exams that I think would be the equivalent of a degree, including regulations, law, and other things that are not directly wiring sockets. It was possibly top end of the price range, but certainly not a rip off.

The point is, the doctor will charge for the visit not the time, which can be anything from five minutes to one hour. Electricians, carpenters etc. will have to realise that the tiger is gone and people are struggling to survive. They cannot continue charging €50 per hour, those days are gone.

• Advertisement

Ha ha. My Dad advised me of his genius and super capabilities after the deed was done! In fairness he didn't know I was getting a light put in but as I said ge should have offered to do it for me before I thought of it!

Thanks for the advice!

If the guy was flat out, he must have been sleeping, if it took him 2.5 hours for to do that job. Anyway, your Dad is probably looking out for you.

Advertisement