Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Electrican job

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

yes but 5 minutes is ridiculous (as in low) I'd say it might be slightly on the high side pricewise but then again I wasn't doing the work so don't know what problems he came up against, and parts for 15 quids??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Lets get real here! €150 for a 2.5 hour job equals €300 per day minimum, equals €1,500 per week, equals €78,000 per year.
    €78,000 per year is not much for a company to earn when at a minimum most electrical contractors have to pay for is the following:
    1) insurance
    2) membership of RECI or ECSSA
    3) wages for an apprentice
    4) materials
    5) the cost of having a van on the road
    6) accountant fees

You calculation also assumes that:
    1) no holidays are taken
    2) no time is taken to assess and price the job
    3) no time is required to buy the materials
    4) the contractor will get every job he/she prices. Often contractors can loose days pricing work they never get
    5) that he/she is not called back because a bulb has blown and the customer assumes that the electrician has not done a good job
    6) you also assume that the electrician gets paid for all work carried out! I know small contractors that are owed in excess of €20,000 and they know they will never get it.
    When are craftmen going to drop their prices in line with other employees (those who are lucky to have a job). We were ripped off long enough by the building trade.
    Most electrical contractors have been forced to drop their prices. I agree that many people were ripped of during the boom. Many cowboys are now out of business.

The market dictates the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

cobwebs wrote: »
    If the guy was flat out, he must have been sleeping, if it took him 2.5 hours for to do that job. Anyway, your Dad is probably looking out for you.

Dad, Is that you? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cobwebs

Tootle wrote: »
    Dad, Is that you? :p

:mad:Well I never!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

cobwebs wrote: »
    The point is, the doctor will charge for the visit not the time, which can be anything from five minutes to one hour. Electricians, carpenters etc. will have to realise that the tiger is gone and people are struggling to survive. They cannot continue charging €50 per hour, those days are gone.

You can go to the doctor , he gives you tablets, on the next visit if the problem is not cured he charges another 60 Euro & probably refers you to a consultant ( hope you have insurance the consultant only gets 50 Euro from VHI pay the rest yourself) . Can you get 120.00 for the electrician max time so far 2 visits = 30 min .

Electrician gets paid when the job is fixed . What guarantee does the doctor give???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Correction: the electrician trys to get paid when the job is finished but is not always successful!

Advertisement