Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing love for my bike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

jman0war wrote: »
    The reason one should insist on cable replacement is because it is not uncommon for a bike shop to claim that it's the derailluer that needs replacing, or your brake levers as the case may be.
    When infact, it's the cable that is simply old or the housing is dirty.

If the cables are dirty or sticking you'll have different symptoms than if the cables have stretched and the cable length or lack of adjustment at the derailleur barrel.

What are the exact symptoms of your gear shifting problems?

A LBS in Rathmines tried that one on me, as they tried to get me to fork out somethin like 60 or 80e for new gear levers.
    Nice try, replacing a single cable solved the problem.

But did it solve the problem? The problem still seems to exist.

Waiting 4 years to replace cables imo, is too long.

It depends how you maintain your bike. I've had the same cables on my mountainbike for longer than 4 years and it shifts immaculately. Good equipment, well maintained.

You seem to be under the impression that i've gone often to the bike shop and each time demand new cables; FYI i have done so a total of 2 times.

Can you give the exact sequence of events?

You bought the bike. How long before you had shifting problems?
    How long before you bought it to the bike shop? Did they replace the cable at that stage?
    How long before it went out of adjustment? Did you have it adjusted then? How long before you hand the cable replaced again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

To turn this more into an off topic discussion I would like to raise the following points:
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    (Touch wood) But I've had my bike safely locked in town and UCD (notorious bike theft hotspot) for 2 years and I put most of that down to a good lock, locking it properly.

When I was younger I remember going past the physics building (UCD) and commenting on a rack of nice bikes. Come the next day they were all gone, apparently a Ford transit drove in and a few lads lifted the rack bikes and everything else all at once. Basically, as well as a good lock, it also depends where in an area you lock it.
    Lumen wrote: »
    Sloppy seconds just don't hold the same appeal.

Don't know about you but I find it alot easier to deal with once someone has got in before you to break it in a bit first.
    It always seems to be these newer looking, over-priced yokes with lots shiny chrome.

I seen the ones your on about in Centra for 99euro
    I take pride in my work, which is why my painted-on "rust" looks so convincing.

I started this thread hoping to get advice and ideas on what i can do to renew the pleasure of actually cycling my bike. Obviously i'm not refering to ridiculous crap like petty costmetics.

Can't speak for everyone but some of us like riding things that look pretty. Doesn't mean it has to be pretty for me to get on it.
    Interestingly, what i have found out about many posters on these forums, is that they cannot see the wood from the trees, they can't manage to respond to the actual intent of the post.

And that my fellow "cyclists" are actually a rather prat-ish bunch of spoilt D4 brats that are more concerned appearances, fickle crap like cosmetic bling and are apparently rather threatened when someone has a radically pragmatic approach to their own matieral possessions.

TBF you made a big deal out of the uglification process, instead of just saying that it looks messed up but its in good nick, you went into the process which kind of derailed it before it started. Wrote a small paragraph about it, posted a picture. Its like posting a picture of your OH with a black eye on a relationship forum, pointing out that it was a good idea because they won't get stolen from you and then telling everyone your not convinced you want to stay with her. People are always going to focus on that one MAIN point.

Also, country, born and raised, the Field is where I spent most of my days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

CramCycle wrote: »
    Don't know about you but I find it alot easier to deal with once someone has got in before you to break it in a bit first.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

-Chris- wrote: »
    If the cables are dirty or sticking you'll have different symptoms than if the cables have stretched and the cable length or lack of adjustment at the derailleur barrel.

What are the exact symptoms of your gear shifting problems?
    Currently, it won't stay in the higher gears
    But did it solve the problem? The problem still seems to exist.
    Yes it solved the problem, like the post said.
    Can you give the exact sequence of events?
    No i can't.

Its like posting a picture of your OH with a black eye on a relationship forum, pointing out that it was a good idea because they won't get stolen from you and then telling everyone your not convinced you want to stay with her. People are always going to focus on that one MAIN point.
    It is absolutely NOTHING like posting your picture of your OH with a shiner on a "relationship" forum. Physical abuse and cosmetic changes to a bicycle are not the same things, not.even.close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@jman0war,

Although you made it clear later in your original post that your "loss of love" was due to mechanical rather than cosmetic issues, documenting your cosmetic abuse in the first half of the post was predictably distracting.

Calling people "spoilt D4 brats" for discussing the cosmetics is a bit rich. If you went into the Motors forum and posted up a pic of a brand new Maserati that you'd thrown acid over to make it less of a theft-magnet, and then proceeded to grumble about the cost of clutch replacement and fuel consumption, would you expect people to talk about clutch and petrol prices or the damaged paintwork?

Yes it solved the problem, like the post said.

Currently I'm giving up my precious free time trying to help you diagnose your problems with your bike so you can regain your love of cycling.

Your attitude really sucks though, and it's making me wonder why I'm bothering.

Your attitude sucked earlier in the thread, but I decided to ignore that and move away from the "uglification" part of your post, which we can't do anything about, to the reliability & rideability issues part of your post, which we may be able to help with.

Unfortunately your attitude still sucks and I couldn't be arsed anymore. Enjoy your ruined bike.

/Chris

It is absolutely NOTHING like posting your picture of your OH with a shiner on a "relationship" forum. Physical abuse and cosmetic changes to a bicycle are not the same things, not.even.close.

I quite clearly didn't mean they were the same thing. I meant that saying something that will completely take away focus from your intended point in a post will only invite people to point out the flaws with that part of the statement and usually bring the post way off point. (Just seen Lumen made my point already)
    Currently, it won't stay in the higher gears

Then your LBS in Rathmines could have been right about your shifters, what type of shifters are they (your original picture isn't coming up anymore)

Then your LBS in Rathmines could have been right about your shifters, what type of shifters are they (your original picture isn't coming up anymore)
    It was actually on my road bike.
    The problem was one of the shifters was extremely difficult to get move.
    Commuting Soltions told me it must have "taken a knock" and tried to sell me some new shifters. I said it hadn't taken a knock and insisted they replaced the cable. This worked.

• Advertisement

@jman0war,

Although you made it clear later in your original post that your "loss of love" was due to mechanical rather than cosmetic issues, documenting your cosmetic abuse in the first half of the post was predictably distracting.

Calling people "spoilt D4 brats" for discussing the cosmetics is a bit rich. If you went into the Motors forum and posted up a pic of a brand new Maserati that you'd thrown acid over to make it less of a theft-magnet, and then proceeded to grumble about the cost of clutch replacement and fuel consumption, would you expect people to talk about clutch and petrol prices or the damaged paintwork?
    TBH i actually thought most cyclists were more pragmatic types and less fickle then their motoring counterparts. A new bicycle and a new Maserati and not quite in the same league and not quite the same things.

TBH i actually thought most cyclists were more pragmatic types and less fickle then their motoring counterparts. A new bicycle and a new Maserati and not quite in the same league and not quite the same things.

A statement like that make me think that you never had a love of cycling in the first place...

A statement like that make me think that you never had a love of cycling in the first place...
    Why?
    Do fickle things like gloss paint = love of cycling in your book?

It was actually on my road bike.
    The problem was one of the shifters was extremely difficult to get move.
    Commuting Soltions told me it must have "taken a knock" and tried to sell me some new shifters. I said it hadn't taken a knock and insisted they replaced the cable. This worked.

I use their shop quite alot and have always found them excellent, sorry to hear you disagree.

Back on point though, you said the gears for this one are Finicky, replacing the shifters may be an option, I am confused about what the problem is as I find it hard to figure out which bike is which in your posts. On the bike in the OP are the gears slipping? or they are just irritating to change.

If its the first replace the cables/cable covering/everything, clean out your derailleurs properly and get them adjusted. After a few weeks get them readjusted (don't replace the cable again). I had a similar problem which turned out to be dirt in the derailleur that was affecting the springs. If you look at the likes of bicycle tutor or sheldon Brown, these jobs aren't as big as you might think.

If its the second, then probably get different shifters.

A post explaining clearly what is "finicky" might be helpful.

It is neither "fickle" nor "brattish" to take good care of one's stuff.

You have chosen to damage your bike (albeit in a non-functional way, and for practical reasons) but it is still damage which will (for instance) affect the resale value unless you can find someone else who shares your values.

You have chosen to damage your bike (albeit in a non-functional way, and for practical reasons) but it is still damage which will (for instance) affect the resale value unless you can find someone else who shares your values.
    "resale value"?

I'm sorry, did i say anything at any point about selling this bike?
    No.
    I have no intention of selling the bike, which is why i am considering re-kitting with different components.

If i make a goal of "resale value", i will simply glossup the bike with pointless bling and sell it one of those fish that chase the shiny lure.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry

Apology accepted.

Why?
    Do fickle things like gloss paint = love of cycling in your book?

I love women and "a lick of paint" isn't necessary but in my younger days I found it helped appreciate them more but as I have grown older more practical aspects have also come into play such as keeping them clean and looking as appropriate as possible i.e. no "gloss" paint or chrome, not my cup of tea but i won't judge anyone whose cup of tea it is.

Good advice, a bit of pride in your materials is not fickle but shows that you are someone with respect for the hard earned money that it took to buy these items. On yet another off topic example, we have a lovely, clean, well maintained Massey 135 that would fetch its original price after over 25 years of service, this is not only showing respect for your property but when people come to employ my father for a job (he is a mechanic and a carpenter) they know that this is a man who takes pride in his work and will go the extra mile to get the job done right. He also has no intention of selling this tractor, it does not mean he shouldn't keep it in a respectable state. That said my favourite bike isn't the most beautiful of creatures but i still love her after 7 years.

This tractor, to the best of my knowledge has never been near D4.

Back on point though, you said the gears for this one are Finicky, replacing the shifters may be an option, I am confused about what the problem is as I find it hard to figure out which bike is which in your posts. On the bike in the OP are the gears slipping? or they are just irritating to change.
    It won't stay in the higher (tougher) gears.
    I had a similar problem which turned out to be dirt in the derailleur that was affecting the springs. If you look at the likes of bicycle tutor or sheldon Brown, these jobs aren't as big as you might think.
    Yeah, but sometimes it seems particular derailleur/shifter combinations are more finincky that others.

Gears are only part of my issues, the overal comfort of the bike is no longer desireable.
    Which is why i was considering a wider tyre and wider rims - is it possible a wider rim would make my cassette redundant?
    Probably would have to replace the brakes then.

Good advice, a bit of pride in your materials is not fickle but shows that you are someone with respect for the hard earned money that it took to buy these items. On yet another off topic example, we have a lovely, clean, well maintained Massey 135 that would fetch its original price after over 25 years of service,
    That's nice, but do you keep this Massey in the vicinity of high tractor theft?
    I doubt it, but of course not everyone has that luxury.

I'd like to add that "glossy clear coat" on an aluminium frame serves no function whatsever.
    On a steel frame? Sure, it prevents rust. But aluminium doesn't rust.

It won't stay in the higher (tougher) gears.

Then it sounds like your rear derailleur needs to be properly adjusted as when its set up properly it should naturally stay in the smallest ring i.e. if there was no tension in the cable, or just slight tension to stop it falling and getting jammed (not a mechanic so I'm pry mistaken but thats my understanding). I use friction shifters so it doesn't matter to me, so long as the smallest ring is set up properly.

Gears are only part of my issues, the overal comfort of the bike is no longer desireable.
    Anything in particular? Saddle position, reach to handlebar. The difference a good service can make to your comfort is immense. I got mine service (in Think Bike/Commuting Solutions and then re-tensioned my saddle and it's like I bought a new bike. Maybe contact Mr. Skeffington for a proper bike fit? I've been told that he is excellent at it and it could make a huge difference
    Which is why i was considering a wider tyre and wider rims - is it possible a wider rim would make my cassette redundant?
    Probably would have to replace the brakes then.

The Cassette should be fine (but again, not an expert). Your brakes should be replaced regardless, even if they are OK in your opinion, your losing contact with the rim and as well as wasting through brake pads quicker it is also likely to weaken your rims alot early than they should be weakened AFAIK because all the force is being pushed onto a smaller area on the very outermost part of the rims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

OP, there is one good option here. You could sell the bike you no longer love & use the proceeds to purchase a bike that better suits your needs...

...Oh, wait... You turned it into a ****ter, so its not worth anything & if people aren't willing to steel it they certainly won't be willing to buy it.

Well, at least its never been stolen...

That's nice, but do you keep this Massey in the vicinity of high tractor theft?
    I doubt it, but of course not everyone has that luxury.

I'd like to add that "glossy clear coat" on an aluminium frame serves no function whatsever.

Actually yes, tractor theft is quite high in Ireland AFAIK, as it is so easy to disguise older tractors and ship them northwards. Also, not to disrespect my home county, its not exactly got the lowest crime rate in Ireland. Clean or dirty, if a tractor works, its pretty useful, the only protection a tractor has is that its bigger than a bike and not as fast (well the new ones are, but they are harder to steal). Their was a piece on it on Nationwide and how the Gardaí aren't able to do much about it.

Whereas in Dublin the look of a bike has little effect on whether it will get stolen as 20 quid for smack etc. in 10seconds with a **** lock to many thieves is an easier prospect than 100quid for 2 minutes work. It would also be easier for a scumbag to pass by on a ****ty bike as people often don't look twice at them. So get aways are easier. That said I am giving the average bike thief more intellectual credit than is due. Also I presume people put alot more effort into looking for expensive bikes, adding to their unattractiveness.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    OP, there is one good option here. You could sell the bike you no longer love & use the proceeds to purchase a bike that better suits your needs...

...Oh, wait... You turned it into a ****ter, so its not worth anything & if people aren't willing to steel it they certainly won't be willing to buy it.

Well, at least its never been stolen...
    HAHAHA Bluefoam you so soo funny!
    You should be a comedian.

Oh wait, i guess you missed the part where i said i wasn't interested in selling it.

Whereas in Dublin the look of a bike has little effect on whether it will get stolen as 20 quid for smack etc. in 10seconds with a **** lock to many thieves is an easier prospect than 100quid for 2 minutes work.
    Pay attention to the "my bike was stolen" threads and you'll change your opinion.
    Besides, you're presuming all theives are addicts looking for fix, they are not.
    Infact, and addict is unlikely to get his sh*t together to even acquire a bolt cutter.
    It would also be easier for a scumbag to pass by -- a ****ty bike as people often don't look twice at them.
    ding, ding ding!
    That said I am giving the average bike thief more intellectual credit than is due. Also I presume people put alot more effort into looking for expensive bikes, adding to their unattractiveness.
    This is not very clear, are you saying it takes too much effort to find an expensive bike to steal so why bother?

Here's a few stolen bike threads:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055985365&highlight=stolen
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055986545&highlight=stolen Carrera Vengeance Ltd Disc Mountain Bike
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984405&highlight=stolen
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055983085&highlight=stolen - Specialized Langster
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055979502&highlight=stolen - Dawes Discovery 201
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055979486&highlight=stolen - several stolen, fixies?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055971340&highlight=stolen - 2010 Giant Rapid 2 (secured with Kryptonite Mini U-Lock
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055962291&highlight=stolen - Specialized Allez
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055947930&highlight=stolen - not sure what model this is
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055951104 - blinged up fixie

Oh wait, i guess you missed the part where i said i wasn't interested in selling it
    So, you turned your bike into a ****ter, you don't like it any more, but you don't want to sell it. Yet you give people **** because they respond to your original post... What's your game?
    you're presuming all theives are addicts looking for fix, they are not.
    It is my understanding that this is an entirely inaccurate statement. The only reason the Gardaí are investigating bike crime now is because they equate each bike theft to a the price of a 'hit' & believe that bike theft is directly related to the drugs trade.

It is my understanding that this is an entirely inaccurate statement. The only reason the Gardaí are investigating bike crime now is because they equate each bike theft to a the price of a 'hit' & believe that bike theft is directly related to the drugs trade.
    Oh you mean they are actually investigating bike crime now is it?
    Sure, where were you when McDowell was offering a division of the gardai devoted to bike theft about what... 7 years ago?

But i'm geniunely curious, do you have a source?

I believe there are all kinds of different bike thefts and catagories of bike thieves.

Like this:

Chancers with no monetary motive - simply spotting an unsecured easy target, and may have zero interest in the value of the bike. They might just throw it into the canal when their done, vandalise it, or cycle up to their next destination and abandon it.
    Or it is passed-on to one of their associates, including family.
    Or they may steal a particular component of your bike that is desirable. Such as robbing your wheels to put on their own bike.

Chancers with monetary motive - opportunistic thieves, looking at making a some easy quid. Druggies include.

Professionial Thieves - Rob bikes for money full stop. This includes targeting specific bikes to steal.

Keeping your bike secured with a good lock is one way to disuade all of the above, but the Professional Thief may not be deterred so easily.
    If they have selected your bike, it must be because they believe it is worth it.

http://www.dublincycling.com/node/475

Some Garda facts:

In 2009, €850,000 worth of bicycles were stolen in Dublin, so it's a serious crime.

97% of bikes reported to Gardaí have no serial number; 6.6% of bikes are returned to owners; there's a 10% detection rate.

A big increase in theft in 2009 (2,184 bikes 2009 vs. 1,888 in 2008) is partly attributed to more & better bikes being on bought under the bike-to-work scheme. Average value has increased to €389.

Most thieves only carry one tool. Bolt cutters, pliers, and snips are used 77% of the time.

It oxidises, just like iron. It goes white. The difference is that it doesn't gain (as much) size as iron when it oxidises. usually forms its own layer. Therefore the coat serves the function of not making it look less attractive, as well as to help prevent chipping of the oxidised aluminium off the frame, which "may" lower the frame strength. Although if it doesn't get chipped of it should be as strong or stronger (so I read somewhere)

HAHAHA Bluefoam you so soo funny!
    You should be a comedian.

Be fair, I thought it was hilarious
    Pay attention to the "my bike was stolen" threads and you'll change your opinion.
    Besides, you're presuming all theives are addicts looking for fix, they are not.
    Infact, and addict is unlikely to get his sh*t together to even acquire a bolt cutter.

Pay attention to people with expensive bikes will make more of an effort to get them back. I'm certain there are alot more bikes stolen than there are stolen bike threads.
    This is not very clear, are you saying it takes too much effort to find an expensive bike to steal so why bother?
    Expensive bikes are usually (not always) locked better by the average Joe in town. Not to find it but as stupid as I personally believe the average thief in Dublin to be, I think they will usually go for the easier option.
    Here's a few stolen bike threads:

Stolen from quieter areas, or because of **** locks, some unsecured in back garden, not all of them but at least half of what you posted has an explanation why it was stolen due to ease of access. Also the number of bikes that are stolen in Dublin could not be compared to the few that are shown on a dedicated cycling forum.

So, you turned your bike into a ****ter, you don't like it any more, but you don't want to sell it. Yet you give people **** because they respond to your original post... What's your game?

What are you going to do with it if you don't use it/sell it?

I'm certain there are alot more bikes stolen than there are stolen bike threads
    Obviously, but we don't know if they are rust-buckets or glossy new ones so can only leave them out of the discussion.
    I think they will usually go for the easier option.
    Depends, but i keep my bike secured as much as i can. That isn't always enough however as i have tried to illustrate.
    What are you going to do with it if you don't use it/sell it?
    Who said i wasn't using it?
    I said i was willing to take it with me when i move to the mainland.

Chancers with no monetary motive - simply spotting an unsecured easy target, and may have zero interest in the value of the bike. They might just throw it into the canal when their done, vandalise it, or cycle up to their next destination and abandon it.
    Or it is passed-on to one of their associates, including family.
    Or they may steal a particular component of your bike that is desirable. Such as robbing your wheels to put on their own bike.

Like I said easy targets because alot of people don't secure their bike properly.
    Chancers with monetary motive - opportunistic thieves, looking at making a some easy quid. Druggies include.

Same as above really.
    Professionial Thieves - Rob bikes for money full stop. This includes targeting specific bikes to steal.

Fair enough but if your bike is well secured it still makes it less of a target, I usually have three locks minimum if I'm going to an area thats not in a busy public area. A pain but i think its worth it. Probably not as much of this as you think though as many people would not leave there valuable bike in the same place for too long, well not me personally.

97% of bikes reported to Gardaí have no serial number
    Mine is stamped and also registered with my LBS who keep details of the bikes they sell to verify it for Garda if its recovered. Not sure if they still do but they used to.
    A big increase in theft in 2009 (2,184 bikes 2009 vs. 1,888 in 2008) is partly attributed to more & better bikes being on bought under the bike-to-work scheme. Average value has increased to €389.

Most thieves only carry one tool. Bolt cutters, pliers, and snips are used 77% of the time.

Basically alot of people have left more easy to steal bikes lying around. In both my jobs I have had to send round group mails to other workers who were giving out about bike theft in the area but never secured their bikes properly. All the bikes (from the B2W scheme) had been locked with those skinny cable locks.

• Advertisement

The garda figures show an increase in bike theft.
    The stated reason is ther are more and better bikes (more expensive probably) being bought.

Both of which would doubtless have glossy paint, or clear-coat and plenty of chrome.

So the gards are basically saying, there's more shiny new bikes out there, and bike theft is up as a result.

I usually have three locks minimum if I'm going to an area thats not in a busy public area. A pain but i think its worth it.
    I certainly don't intend on carrying 3 figgin locks with me.
    Nope, for me: Pragmatism trumps Appearances every time.

The garda figures show an increase in bike theft.
    The stated reason is ther are more and better bikes (more expensive probably) being bought.

Both of which would doubtless have glossy paint, or clear-coat and plenty of chrome.

So the gards are basically saying, there's more shiny new bikes out there, and bike theft is up as a result.

Theres as much weight in my argument of easier to steal bikes which aren't secured well, which there are now alot more of due to the B2W scheme. Alot of the general public are uneducated in securing their bike properly. Whereas most people who cycled to work or elsewhere for many years before the scheme may have been more careful due to knowing the risks from experience or from other cyclists stories

I certainly don't intend on carrying 3 figgin locks with me.
    Nope, for me: Pragmatism trumps Appearances every time.

I guarantee you, yours will get nicked before mine if locked side by side though, guess that makes me stupid. I only do this when I know I will be in an area more at risk of bike theft, again, from education through experience. I won't bring 3 locks to an area that I trust to be secure, as you say, for practicality.

Theres as much weight in my argument of easier to steal bikes which aren't secured well,
    If that were true, than you would be able to cite circomstantial evidence as i have with my premise: That shiny new bikes get robbed before rust-buckets.

Which tbh makes sense, as you and others have alledged: the value of the bike is increased if it has a glossy finish.
    If it's true that shiny bikes are more valueable than rusty ones (or even ones disguised as rusty ones ;)) Than it is logical to presume that shiny bikes would be targetted more for theft. Simply because they are "worth more".

I guarantee you, yours will get nicked before mine if locked side by side though, guess that makes me stupid. I only do this when I know I will be in an area more at risk of bike theft, again, from education through experience. I won't bring 3 locks to an area that I trust to be secure, as you say, for practicality.
    HOw much do you want to bet?

I have only one lock, but a goody.

If that were true, than you would be able to cite circomstantial evidence as i have with my premise: That shiny new bikes get robbed before rust-buckets.

Which tbh makes sense, as you and others have alledged: the value of the bike is increased if it has a glossy finish.
    If it's true that shiny bikes are more valueable than rusty ones (or even ones disguised as rusty ones ;)) Than it is logical to presume that shiny bikes would be targetted more for theft. Simply because they are "worth more".

I really am unsure if you read my post, your just trying to be irritating or your just unintelligent, either way, I give up. A few of my posts were joking (clearly implied by the tone) to which you got offended.

You have turned down or sneered at most of the advice given to you as if you knew better (which begs the question, why do you need help if you do indeed know better?0).

If you don't get what is being said to you at this point, than there is no point saying it to you.

New/clean bikes are generally considered to be more valuable, the free market has instilled in us these ideals for many years. No disagreement there.

Alot of thieves (not all, but most) will go for the easy option, this is circumstantial evidence, hence why I don't cite it, as I have no direct evidence to quote, just my own personal experiences.

Not empirical proof, just life lessons. Don't act stupid and statistically speaking, you won't get f*cked over. You might, no guarantees.

I've had 2 ****ty bikes stolen. One decent bike damaged because they couldn't get through the locks and 2 more good bikes not stolen. The difference between the 3 situations is where they were locked and how they were locked. Again it's not proof but its what I'll stand by.

Nowadays you see alot of "glossy" bikes improperly locked ergo I deduce that the increase in the number of more expensive stolen bikes is due to insufficient security.

Did the Garda release statistics on the effectiveness of how these bikes were secured and where they were secured and the amount of other indirect deterrents in the area (gates/CCTV etc.)

My assumptions are based on logical deduction and experience, yours are based on one ****ty looking bike that you have a "pretty" good lock for. My argument holds for your bike as you imply it is well secured, yours does not necessarily hold for mine.

Actually don't bother, it's a Monday and I no longer care.

I really am unsure if you read my post, your just trying to be irritating or your just unintelligent, either way, I give up. A few of my posts were joking (clearly implied by the tone) to which you got offended.
    To be accurate, the only times i've gotten offended is when posters came here to insult me.
    You have turned down or sneered at most of the advice given to you as if you knew better (which begs the question, why do you need help if you do indeed know better?0).
    Not true.
    Although some people have posted ridiculous things like: are you sure your brake blocks are mounted as low as they can.
    If you don't get what is being said to you at this point, than there is no point saying it to you.
    Remind me, what were you saying again? But maybe leave your tractor at home?
    Nowadays you see alot of "glossy" bikes improperly locked ergo I deduce that the increase in the number of more expensive stolen bikes is due to insufficient security.
    In part yes, but they are looked at originally because they are glossy. That's why the entirely unsecured rust buckets in my nearest communal bike shed remain.
    My assumptions are based on logical deduction and experience, yours are based on one ****ty looking bike that you have a "pretty" good lock for. My argument holds for your bike as you imply it is well secured, yours does not necessarily hold for mine.
    Actually you do not know my experience because you either haven't read the thread, or haven't asked.
    To the 2nd part: tell that to the folks at UCD whom got the entire rack of bikes lifted, including the rack itself.
    Actually don't bother, it's a Monday and I no longer care.
    Pity i was just looking at likely skanger-holes we could test your theory.
    I could leave my bike secured with my 1 lock, and you could leave yours with your 3 locks. Return after a weekend and see if one or both are still there.
    But i reckon mine would be there as i've already left it in skanger-holes.
    Have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

So why the lose of love?
    Bone Rattle: i've getz it bad.
    Finicky Gears: i hate them
    Brake issues: (the brake arms are actually too short for the rim, which results in brake-pad rubbing against sidewall of tyre = not good. So i have to pear off half the pad to insure it wont touch my tyres)

Lately i've been mulling over emigrating and possibly bringing my bike with me. Why buy a bike over yonder when i already have one?
    If i can take her with me, i intend to.

But they get Winters over there, and if i'm going to use my bike, she'll need to be able to take a more robust tyre.
    I don't know what options exist for this hybrid, but they are probably limited.

Also, Gearing.
    I've been mulling getting a Fixed Gear, but am simply not going to spend 500+€ on one.
    After hiring a 3-speed "Electra Townie" while on holidays, i must admit it felt good, damn good.
    Is it crazy to try and downgrade my cassette and groupset to something more rudimentary like 3 gears?
    My frame is not fixie-compatible.

I imagine my options for the other issues: Braking and general Bone Rattle are a bit limited to.
    At the end of the day, i'm guess i'm looking for a wider rim to take a wider tyre. But i'm probably limited there as well?

Tyres: measure the available tyre clearance, check CRC/Wiggle (or your LBS) for appropriate tyres for the new weather conditions, get them if they fit. If they don't get treaded road tyres instead. Existing rims should be fine.

Gears: get them serviced by a good LBS, plenty recommended here. Sora is a reliable groupset when adjusted and maintained correctly. Use it as a 3-speed if you want.

Brakes: change the arms to get better contact, more chance of rubbing with the new tyres anyway. Same sources as tyres.

I've no constructive comment on anything else you posted.

• Advertisement

To be accurate, the only times i've gotten offended is when posters came here to insult me.

It's defensive, you do come accross as quite insulting with your tone.
    Although some people have posted ridiculous things like: are you sure your brake blocks are mounted as low as they can.

Alot of people on boards maybe quite inexperienced/new to bicycle mechanics (myself included), i think it was a reasonable question.
    Remind me, what were you saying again? But maybe leave your tractor at home?
    Lock your bike up securely and it has alot less chance of getting knicked, I really don't think this needs to be said again.
    In part yes, but they are looked at originally because they are glossy. That's why the entirely unsecured rust buckets in my nearest communal bike shed remain.
    I know nothing about your shed, so i can't really comment, but communal bike sheds in apartment blocks/estates etc. are a place you really shouldn't lock your bike. I think its been posted before but the access to them is nearly always minimal (you said yours was a combination lock) and they provide a sheltered, unobserved place at night for people to really take their time and be picky, unlike a more open/public/observed area where many would go for the quickest/easiest bike to steal.
    Actually you do not know my experience because you either haven't read the thread, or haven't asked.
    To the 2nd part: tell that to the folks at UCD whom got the entire rack of bikes lifted, including the rack itself.
    Fair enough, I don't know your experience. As for the UCD bike rack, the reason that was stolen was because alot of the bike racks around UCD, up until recently were not secured to the ground. I put up the post, they quite literally lifted the rack with no effort, again these were decent bikes that were not properly secured, most were only locked in one place and they were all stuck to a rack that was clearly not tethered to anything.
    Pity i was just looking at likely skanger-holes we could test your theory.
    I could leave my bike secured with my 1 lock, and you could leave yours with your 3 locks. Return after a weekend and see if one or both are still there.
    But i reckon mine would be there as i've already left it in skanger-holes.
    Have you?

TBH, In Dublin you can walk a very short distance from anywhere and find an area of ill repute. In short yes. I've lived in a few of them.

My point is that if you put time into securing your bike properly, there is less chance of it being knicked. Obviously if two bikes have the same weak cable lock, the nicer looking bike will be knicked. But if you lock up your nice bike well with at least 2 decent locks beside another bike of lower quality that is swinging of the rack/post with a 10euro cable lock, then yours normally won't be the one to go.

Thats all I'm saying

My point is that if you put time into securing your bike properly, there is less chance of it being knicked. Obviously if two bikes have the same weak cable lock, the nicer looking bike will be knicked.
    Exactly.
    But if you lock up your nice bike well with at least 2 decent locks beside another bike of lower quality that is swinging of the rack/post with a 10euro cable lock, then yours normally won't be the one to go.
    Perhaps not normally, but sometimes that's exactly what happens.
    The nicer bike gets nicked because it looks like it's "worth something".
    Perhaps this reflects the difference in the type of thief.
    Opportunistic vs Professional.

I once had a Specialized Stumpjumper robbed from UCD @ sport centre.
    There were a hundred bikes that could have been taken. Mine was secured with one U-Lock around the rear wheel, frame and rack; and one thick cable lock around the front wheel, frame and rack.
    Mine was taken, while other less secured bikes were left alone.

This was the work of someone that selected my bike from a field of bikes.
    I suppose i could have carried 3 U-locks or some combination.
    But it's impractical to lug around all that unecessary weight.
    Carrying around one lock ought to be enough.
    I've found a radically pragmatic and creative solution. People (including thieves) prefer shiny bikes? Well then, I shall do the opposite and play their own preconceptions against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

The fact that so may people have tried to help the op is a testiment to the great help and support that this site provides to fellow cyclists. in any other walk of life nearly everyone would have told him where to go (the fact that we cant really, has helped, but could be worth a week in the sin bin!) if someone stopped you for directions on the street with the attitude of the op, you'd smack them or at the very least continue walking. imagine someone telling you your directions were erronous!! wtf

Op your attitide is appalling and i am surprised people are still entertaining you. but make no mistake about it, despite what you think, youve ruined the look of your bike and aparantly id doesnt run to smooth either, id say you deserve it and most (if not all) would agree it complements your personality perfectly.

however this has made great monday reading and i have enjoyed laughing at your petty attemps to best people who are only trying to help you.

personally i find my bike sexy, and couldnt have it any other way. shame on me for liking pretty things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I've found a radically pragmatic and creative solution. People (including thieves) prefer shiny bikes? Well then, I shall do the opposite and play their own preconceptions against them.

It's the principle of your actions that bothers me dude. Forget the debate on aesthetics for the moment, the fact that you've taken a decent bike and purposely made it look like a piece of ****e is like waving a white flag to the scumbags that rob bikes. Sure it's clever, I'll give you that, but at what cost? And where do you stop? Do you start dressing like a hobo so you don't get mugged walking home from a night out? Do you design your house to make it looked like a burned-out, condemned ruin to deter potential burglars? Do you replace your car's wheels with bricks when it's parked outside your house so it looks like someone has already stolen the wheels?

Why should we, as (generally) upstanding members of society, have to concede defeat to these scumbags? I've had a bike robbed before so I know how it feels, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let that affect the way I live my life. Your solution to the problem is at best survivalist, and at worst defeatist, and it's a very sad day for this country if people are willing to go to these lengths because of the actions of petty criminals.

It's almost shameful. Makes me feel a little ashamed at any rate.

I can't agree. The first thing I did when I bought a new car was to drive it into a brick wall, I then ran some shopping trolleys into the side of it, I then drank 12 pints and ran across the bonnet & over the roof - all to disuade people from steeling it. I took all the buttons off the stereo & it now only plays Joe Duffy at full volume, but no one has ever robbed it!

Moflojo wrote: »
    Why should we, as (generally) upstanding members of society, have to concede defeat to these scumbags? I've had a bike robbed before so I know how it feels, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let that affect the way I live my life. Your solution to the problem is at best survivalist, and at worst defeatist, and it's a very sad day for this country if people are willing to go to these lengths because of the actions of petty criminals..
    Huh?
    Whether the bike has shiny paint or none, effects it's performance not a bit. A defeatist attitude would be to simply not have a bike. I adapt.
    I'd like to hear you explain how removing clear coat effects the way you live your life?
    I don't want to lug around excessive security and so i don't.

I want to park my bike pretty much where i bloody well like, and so i do.
    You require CCTV, a really secure area, trudging your bike through your flat, you are the one living with restrictions, not i.

• Advertisement

Huh?

I'd like to hear you explain how removing clear coat effects the way you live your life?
    I don't want to lug around excessive security and so i don't.

How long did you spend 'manufacturing' your bike's current aesthetic?
    You're willing to go to that much effort but carrying an extra lock or two is excessive? Give it a rest lad.

Do you start dressing like a hobo so you don't get mugged walking home from a night out?
    Muggers choose their victims that fit a certain profile.
    They don't attempt to mug someone that looks like they'd fight back.
    I have never been mugged.
    I don't look like a "hobo" :rolleyes:

Do you design your house to make it looked like a burned-out, condemned ruin to deter potential burglars?
    Another poor analogy.
    A burnt out house may attract other undesireables such as homeless people or junkies. FAIL
    Do you replace your car's wheels with bricks when it's parked outside your house so it looks like someone has already stolen the wheels?
    I don't own a car, and your idea is way too manual.
    I prefer low-tech solutions that are easy to implement.

How long did you spend 'manufacturing' your bike's current aesthetic?
    You're willing to go to that much effort but carrying an extra lock or two is excessive? Give it a rest lad.
    I took about 5-10 mintues sanding.
    About 30 seconds painting the black.
    About 30 minutes painting "rust".
    Replacing saddle took about 1 minute.
    Grips about the same?

I prefer low-tech solutions that are easy to implement.

Shirley, you jest.

YOU STRIPPED THE PAINT OFF YOUR OWN BIKE, REPLACED ITS SADDLE AND HANDLEBAR GRIPS, THEN PAINTED RUST ONTO THE WHEELS!!!

What is low-tech about your solution?

I think this thread has now earned its place in the 'Pointless Bickering' department.

Shirley, you jest.

YOU STRIPPED THE PAINT OFF YOUR OWN BIKE, REPLACED ITS SADDLE AND HANDLEBAR GRIPS, THEN PAINTED RUST ONTO THE WHEELS!!!

What is low-tech about your solution?

I think this thread has now earned its place in the 'Pointless Bickering' department.

No, there was almost no paint on the bike.
    Just "glossy clear-coat".
    Sanding is low tech, so is a messy paintbrush?
    What is so high-tech about that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement