Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing love for my bike

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

jman0war wrote: »
    No, there was almost no paint on the bike.
    Just "glossy clear-coat".
    Sanding is low tech, so is a messy paintbrush?
    What is so high-tech about that?

You are a troll. You deserve your bike. Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Tell you what Moflojo, you prefer to lug around extra locks and limit yourself to specific places where you can leave your bike.
    I reckon that affects the way you live your life. As you stated before.

Me? i choose my freedom of movement over all that paranoid stuff.
    I willingly and gladly discard those pointless "asethics" that are not facilitating much function - in this case glossly clear-coat and chrome.
    This choice is not affecting the way i live my life, If anything it's enchancing it.

This give me more freedom. I park my bike pretty much anywhere. It looks like "a rust bucket", but only if you're easily fooled. The bike is lightweight, fast and is often, a better bike that most the other stuff on any given bike rack in town.

That said, why are you criticizing me for it again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The bikes you linked to say very little about how the bike was locked, which is just as important as the bike or the lock.

For example, the Giant was taken along with the lock. Why would a thief take a lock they can't use? To me it says that, more than likely, the bike was not locked properly. Either it was only locked to the bike (very common) or locked to something where it could be removed without damaging the bike or lock.

As for the maseratti comment, you have obviously no idea how much money some people put into their bikes, or how much money they can afford to put into them.

Like Chris said earlier, anyone who has actually tried to help you with your problem has been met with hostility or cliched jibes of snobbery. It's not snobbery to take care of something or wonder what reason you have for painting rust on your rims. In fairness, you have a very ordinary hybrid that doesn't really stand out, the money and time spent on uglifying it would have been better spent on a decent lock and a set of non QR skewers.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    would have been better spent on a decent lock and a set of non QR skewers.
    I have a decent lock and a set of skewers.
    The rims give too much away about the quality of bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Me? i choose my freedom of movement over all that paranoid stuff.

WTF your a true joke. paranoid, you defaced your bike because of paranoia. you life and in particular day has all been effected by your paranoia. also whats the mainland, do you live on a small island off of ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Muggers choose their victims that fit a certain profile.
    They don't attempt to mug someone that looks like they'd fight back..
    I've had kids try to mug me in town before, size has nothing to do with it. I'm 6/6'1 and not a skinny guy. Christ I had a crowd of little 15yo sh*ts surround me on Pierce st, demanding my laptop, they couldn't care less what you look like/what you'd do, they just care that they get away.
    You probably have never been mugged because they see your bike and cry a little inside for you. Ordainary Decent Criminals are everywhere :p
    Moflojo wrote: »
    I think this thread has now earned its place in the 'Pointless Bickering' department.

+1 on that

funkyjebus wrote: »
    WTF your a true joke. paranoid, you defaced your bike because of paranoia. you life and in particular day has all been effected by your paranoia. also whats the mainland, do you live on a small island off of ireland.
    Ah.
    So you are so threatened by my alternative asthetics that you attack me with insults?
    Why is that?

The mainland is Europe, it's a continent, IReland is an island off of that continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Ah.
    So you are so threatened by my alternative asthetics that you attack me with insults?
    Why is that?

The mainland is Europe, it's a continent, IReland is an island off of that continent.

quite the assumption of my own personal feelings, can you tell me what cramcycle is thinking too, id love to know?

your not alternative, just paranoid.

i dont think i was the first one trowing insults around. and in general i dont, and still would consider myslef to be insulting you. its just what view of your opnions are. they read like a joke. thats not my fault. i sure most would back me up that it was been an amusing ride with you and well all look forward to providing you with further help in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The mainland is Ireland, Europe is off of the coast of that.

Fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

OP, you came here looking for advice & generated a lot of discussion.

However, you have had a negative reaction to most of the discussion put forward to you & have accepted no advice. Your views on how to treat your bike are unusual and IMO paranoid and unnecessary.

To be fair to most posters here, they have tried to understand your point of view and offer some advice, but you seem to be single minded & have little interest in other points of view. If I'm correct in my assumption, what are you doing here?

You say you no longer love (value?) you bike, but to care for an object you must put some level of care into it. By vandalising it you are taking away from it & by not giving it the appropriate care you are making any bond difficult...

My bike is quite new and has decieved some minor scratches from use, but I would never deface it, although I have made minor cosmetic changes - yet I don't need to love it - I do think its ****ing deadly though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I want to park my bike pretty much where i bloody well like, and so i do.
    You require CCTV, a really secure area, trudging your bike through your flat, you are the one living with restrictions, not i.

No one said you need them, you just make the most of the situation when your locking a bike. These things are nice if available, if they are not, 2 decent locks are better than one. We're giving advice on a substantial amount of experience of living in Dublin/Galway/Cork and the country. You don't have to do it, it's only a suggestion. When bikes got stolen and I told people to get better locks as well as sending round links for sites that give advice, alot ignored me. When the Gardaí came round they said, no offense but it's because you can clearly see your using sh*te locks, we're surprised more haven't been stolen.
    This give me more freedom. I park my bike pretty much anywhere. It looks like "a rust bucket", but only if you're easily fooled. The bike is lightweight, fast and is often, a better bike that most the other stuff on any given bike rack in town.

People who know bikes would cop if the bikes equipment was worth stealing, including your professional bike thieves, you yourself said "if your easily fooled", which I presume your professional bike thieves would not be, so most of you points are mute there. You keep bragging about how great your bike is, but its not top of the range from what I can see, Sora, decent/reliable but my no means light or top of the range (I'm not knocking it, I have Sora on one of mine, I'm just saying its not top of the range). Maybe your bike is just average, there's no shame in it, my favourite bike is average in every respect.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    The bikes you linked to say very little about how the bike was locked, which is just as important as the bike or the lock.

For example, the Giant was taken along with the lock. Why would a thief take a lock they can't use? To me it says that, more than likely, the bike was not locked properly. Either it was only locked to the bike (very common) or locked to something where it could be removed without damaging the bike or lock.
    Other posts put up included people who admitted having cheap locks, leaving it unlocked in a garden, in a communal bike area etc.

Now i'm just going to poke fun, we are the mainland of IRELAND eg the Aran islands, Irelands eye etc

Mainland Ireland as opposed to its offshore islands, which is usually what people would mean, unless your a unionist, you may mean Britain, or if Europe was mentioned (I didn't notice it but it may have been) then you might mean the continent but only if your actually talking about Europe first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just to be clear, there is a difference between debranding and defacing your bike.

I can understand someone wanting to remove "Giant" or "Trek" from their bike in the hopes of making it less appealing to thieves who might be familiar with the names.

I can't understand painting rust graphics or wanting a saddle that has foam poking out of holes.

At any rate, take it to Joe Dalys in Dundrum (if it's near). Very good shop and you will get an honest appraisal which hopefully will sort out your gear problems.

Advertisement