Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe insulation

• 06-08-2010 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I have 1 1/4" copper pipes from my boiler in my garage to a buffer tank. I need to insulate them and i want to do the best job possible. I had some 1" pipes that I insulated with armaflex, but i am finding it impossible to get armaflex to fit the 1 1/4" pipe. Are there any other options for me? I want good stuff rather than the very basic pipe insulation that costs less than €1 per length. I paid €2.50 per meter for the 1" armaflex and am willing to pay this or more for a good performing product.

Any advice appreciated.

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What's wrong with the standard insulation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

What's wrong with the standard insulation?

My plumber told me that it does not have good enough of an insulation value in comparison to the armaflex and recommended armaflex or some other type of foil covered insulation - which I can't seem to find any of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I tried a builders providers the other day and they told me they only had 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch pipe lag.

I want to lag some gunbarrel that I think is 1 1/2 inches.

Any idea where I'll get lagging for piping that big?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Chadwicks Builders Providers sell it in 2 meter lengths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Most good plumbing suppliers should have 11/4" Armaflex, try a few different spots if there's a couple local to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 smullo

Any recommendations.... I have an external rubber pipe pushing mains cold water up to the attic. Being that we now live in Iceland and not Ireland I need to insulate this as it freezes easily. It's about 30 feet long. Do I just get that standard black insulation and tie it up or any better solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

smullo wrote: »
    Any recommendations.... I have an external rubber pipe pushing mains cold water up to the attic. Being that we now live in Iceland and not Ireland I need to insulate this as it freezes easily. It's about 30 feet long. Do I just get that standard black insulation and tie it up or any better solutions?

I have the same, about 40ft run along the attic floor. what i done is wrapped it in attic insulation and cable tie it, nicce neat job and works a treat.

smullo wrote: »

What you have is Hydradare that's used for the rising main. Find out if what size the outside diameter of the pipe is, (it'll be either inch, or 3/4) and get some armaflex insulation for it. Stick it over it, clip it up, and bobs yer uncle.

No harm to box it in too.

Follow up:

I got armaflex in the end. It had to come from the UK to a local hardware. it was expensive, but well worth it in the end!!!

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    Follow up:

I got armaflex in the end. It had to come from the UK to a local hardware. it was expensive, but well worth it in the end!!!

Where did you get it that it had to come from the UK? I can get it locally from two merchants who stock it.

Where did you get it that it had to come from the UK? I can get it locally from two merchants who stock it.

I went to several merchants and all that they could supply was 1" armaflex but not 1 1/4". It ended up that one of the merchants had to order the 1 1/4" from their supplier in the uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aquajoe

the best insulation is foil back lagging it comes in 2m lenghts and you can get it in any size
    most places wont stock it but they can have it the next day from a company in blanchardstown

aquajoe wrote: »
    the best insulation is foil back lagging it comes in 2m lenghts and you can get it in any size
    most places wont stock it but they can have it the next day from a company in blanchardstown

Is it weatherproof??

Thanks. Did that and looks good. All up about €25 covered the job and only took an hour :-)

Thanks. Did that and looks good. All up about €25 covered the job and only took an hour :-)

Advertisement