Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house insured twice

Options
  • 06-08-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

i had a home insurance policy with BOI. I did not renew it and i took a new one up with Hibernian. However BOI continued the old one and i have just noticed the direct debits going out. I have contacted them and surprise surprise there are loads of forms to fill out etc. my problem is can they continue a one year policy if i never gave them permission?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi when you pay for insurance policies by monthly direct debits unless you contact them and tell them they continue to collect by direct debit. This should have been stated on your renewal letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

astra2000 wrote: »
    Hi when you pay for insurance policies by monthly direct debits unless you contact them and tell them they continue to collect by direct debit. This should have been stated on your renewal letter.

+1

They are generally renewed by default unless you ask them not to. Did you read the renewal letter fully?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Basically speaking, if there are 2 policies in effect that cover the same perils, EACH insurer has to return a portion of the premium you paid. The % of the return from each insurer is dependant on the sum insured for each policy. If it was the same sum insured, each give you back 50% of the premium for the period of the duplication.

It's a little more complicated if the sums insured are different, but the principle is the same.Following this, you elect which policy is to remain in force and cancel the other one (with a pro-rata return to follow from the latter). Sorry if I'm not making it easy to follow

Advertisement