Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment hunting

Options
  • 06-08-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I've had a look at the recent thread about where to live, and while our circumstances are similar, my boyfriend and I are looking for pretty much the opposite from the OP. So I hope people don't mind another thread asking for suggestions!

BF is going to be doing a masters at DCU and I'm going to hopefully land a software programming job somewhere. We're hoping to find a one bedroom apartment, the newer and more modern the better. In fact I'd love to find a first letting.

My searches on daft so far include IFSC (on the off chance something pops up in our budget), Glasnevin, Smithfield, and I took the suggestions of Rathmines and Ranelagh from the other thread, even though they seem to have older buildings. I also usually just try City Centre. Thanks for any suggestions or comments, much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

You could try looking in Stoneybatter or the North Circular Road area. Slightly further away from town (but still really close) is Drumcondra. Further still but very handy for DCU is Whitehall or Beaumont (both lovely areas). I'm not sure how much luck you'll have finding a brand new apartment in those areas but sure have a look anyway. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Drumcondra or Glasnevin would be the no-brainer of a choice for me. Close to DCU, and close to town.

The IFSC is a flashy, cramped, overpriced craphole. €1200 pcm to live in an area that gets patrolled by the ERU? No, thanks.

Smithfield - too many horses, ice rinks etc. Again overpriced.

Unfortunately for you Glasnevin / Drumcondra isn't exactly over-endowed with apartments, particularly in the nicest parts of it. That's what I like though - no poorly built highrise blocks. Can you give us an idea of your budget?

Keep an eye out for apartments in the following developments:

Botanic Square, off Botanic Ave, Drumcondra.
    Glenarm Square, on Dargle Road, Drumcondra.
    Abbeyvale, off Botanic Ave.
    Chapelgate, St Alphonsus Road, Drumcondra.
    The Court, Glasnevin.

Just be aware that a lot of what can be advertised as Drumcondra or Glasnevin can be quite far North. Grace Park Road for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

cosmic wrote: »
    You could try looking in Stoneybatter or the North Circular Road area.

There are often lovely cottages for rent in Stoneybatter for reasonable rent, definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mSe265

Thanks, guys! I'm checking out Stoneybatter now, and liking what I see so that's def going on the list.

Yeah, I saw mentioned somewhere that people complain Smithfield smelled like horse poo, might take that off the list..

We've decided 800 a month as our max, seems doable at the moment.

Thanks a mill for the help, we're going up next weekend to look around, I think seeing the areas will be a great help in getting a better idea. When I was first showing my boyfriend some of the ads I'd saved, one was in Ballymun and he said, "I think I've heard of that on the news a few times.." So I said I'd better do some research!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There's a good chance you'll get a software job around East Point business Park - Fairview should be on the list too, bf could walk to Drumcondra and get a bus to DCU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

www.daft.ie/2915956 - Mobhi Road, Glasnevin

www.daft.ie/2924785 - Santry Cross, top of Ballymun Road. Close to Northwood for shops, close to bus route to town/DCU and also 103 to Clontarf stops outside.

www.daft.ie/2921886 - Santry Cross again

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Lots of new apartments in the Richmond Road area, short walk to bus in Drumcondra, longer walk to Eastpoint, but would def be the best compromise imho

Advertisement