Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Rat or a Mouse

Options
  • 06-08-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭

Is this a young rat or a mouse, I think it is a rat:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

RAT

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭diveshark

some big fecking mouse! RAT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

diveshark wrote: »
    some big fecking mouse! RAT

ALLLL Right TA:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That's a rat all right.

If posting similar 'what's this?' pictures in future, it'd be a good idea to include something else for scale; a ruler would be ideal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Rovi wrote: »
    That's a rat all right.

If posting similar 'what's this?' pictures in future, it'd be a good idea to include something else for scale; a ruler would be ideal. :D

Ya cheers for that I should have known better to use a ruler for scale, have been trained long enough to do so in my job. Caught four of these in my shed over the last few days, some guy near me has pigeons and I think it is the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

that be a rat alright,,pigeons are deadly for attracting these buggers.
    as long as the neighbour keeps pigeons rats will keep coming.
    talk to the owner of these pests,he might not be cleaning the area as often as he should and not keeping the food covered.
    I had the same problem in my shed for a while due to the kids rabbits but since then i always clean up any spilt food and keep it in a container.
    You need to do a big cleanout of the shed and get rid of anything like paper or rags,rats use these for nesting and they might have a nest in your shed or close by,if they settle they will breed like hell.
    Or get a ferret.

I've a ferret left out of my litter if you want it.:p
    Otherwise get a catch alive trap and throw the live rat over the neighbours wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Is this a young rat or a mouse, I think it is a rat:confused:

About a 6 week old RAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

my darling angel of a cat brought me in one of those this morning - ewww. You'll know they're rats by the longer than normal hind legs.

LB6 wrote: »
    my darling angel of a cat brought me in one of those this morning - ewww. You'll know they're rats by the longer than normal hind legs.

And by the fact they are diseased Fcukers

Weil’s Disease also known as Leptospirosis is an acute, infectious disease. It is caused by different types of one bacteria of which there are over 200 known strains. Weil’s Disease is spread in the urine of infected animals (wild and domestic) and in water or soil contaminated with infected urine. The bacteria thrive in wet and moist conditions and can survive for months in stagnant water or wet soil.

I know of a man who died as a rat ran up him as he was having a slash, as he was embarrassed to say a rat scratched his pee pee, he died of embarrassment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

mix some hardwall powder and bran and set it out in the shed where it will be dry for them

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

he died of embarrassment

A bit like the lad who died of a Monday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

About a 6 week old RAT!

Jasus your good!:rolleyes:

Eddie B wrote: »
    Jasus your good!:rolleyes:

my Tree hugger sister had a PET RAT when she was 16! (I was not happy until it was out of the house, and made life unbearable for all concerned until that happened
    And i have killed enough of them to know one in the flesh.

I HATE rats, with a passion.
    To know ones enemy is essential if one wants to defeat ones enemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

my Tree hugger sister had a PET RAT when she was 16! (I was not happy until it was out of the house, and made life unbearable for all concerned until that happened
    And i have killed enough of them to know one in the flesh.

I HATE rats, with a passion.
    To know ones enemy is essential if one wants to defeat ones enemy!

how do you tell the age of them?

jap gt wrote: »
    how do you tell the age of them?

Not an exact science

But here goes

http://ratgrowth.homestead.com/week4.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

And by the fact they are diseased Fcukers

Weil’s Disease also known as Leptospirosis is an acute, infectious disease. It is caused by different types of one bacteria of which there are over 200 known strains. Weil’s Disease is spread in the urine of infected animals (wild and domestic) and in water or soil contaminated with infected urine. The bacteria thrive in wet and moist conditions and can survive for months in stagnant water or wet soil.

I know of a man who died as a rat ran up him as he was having a slash, as he was embarrassed to say a rat scratched his pee pee, he died of embarrassment

just be careful if you have hunting or other dogs,,a friend of mine who keeps greyhounds had one die from weils disease as a result of rats pissing into the dogs feeding bowl.
    As previous comment suggested,,you should remove all plastic,paper,cardboard,rags etc from your shed as this is perfect nesting material. and the ferret is a great idea,rats will run for miles if they get the scent of a ferret,,even if you know someone who keeps them you could ask for some of the bedding that has urine on it then place it in a few corners in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

have to admit i never had bother or seen a rat since i started keeping ferrets. if you decide you want a ferret pm me

Advertisement