Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gonna build me a chicken coop

• 06-08-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've decided to house some chickens in the garden and therefore need a gaf for them.

I was thinking of basically two triangles joined up by three cross "joists" from each corner made of pressure treated wood.
    Half way up the 2 triangles I intend to build a platform made of marine ply touching inside the 2 triangles at 4 points where the platform meet the triangle edges. Then as a roof I intend on some more marine ply - from the apex of the tops of the triangles down to the platform. Each end will be covered by another marine ply board.

So basically - a wooden toblerone with a marine ply roof half way down it and chicken wire round the bottom.

Any comments ? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Handles to move the whole ark.
    Wheels to roll it on.
    A door to get the eggs out of, that doesn't involve lifting a whole side of the house.
    Chicken wire isn't that strong, if you suspect that predators may attempt to get your chickens use 0.5"x 0.7mm weldmesh instead of chicken wire.
    The floor will need to be emptied of ****e regularly, so make it accessible/removable.

Advertisement