Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCAM EMAILS from eircom net??

• 06-08-2010 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

A neighbour of mine is being bombarded with eamils purporting to come from Eircom net, they are with VF used to be eircom so email ends eircom.net, asking them to provide name,pw etc or the mailbox will be closed down!!

I said it was a scam and to ignore, anyone else get these emails?

gb--

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What is the reply address? It's easy to spoof a from address, but the reply will be to something else if it's a scam. If the reply to is to eircom.net, then it does make it less like a scam. In the past, people have set up mail addresses like sysadmin@hotmail.com and so on, in order to dupe people into giving info to someone they assume was an official, so it could be that someone has set up an eircom address with an official sounding name.

If they had an eircom email set up when they were paying, then maybe it's some how linked and is going to be closed now. I've not heard of this before, and eircom.net emails are free to set up (don't need to be a customer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Loads of people get them all the time

Some come with malware attachments in .zip, or directly executable as bat, cmd, exe, scr, shs etc...

You can spoof the reply address too.

You don't even need an eircom address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Really need to see the IP address it is being sent from.

Can you look at the headers in the mail.

Guide to looking at headers at http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/893/How+to+View+Email+Headers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Receive a shocking number of these. They're blatantly just phishing. A pity eircom don't seem to be making any clear attempting to catch these, knowing, of course, that it will byte some people.

How would eircom catch them?

I receive them even at non-eircom addresses :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

thanks all, that is reassuring, person thought they were the only one!!

they have moved email to gmail now and that is picking emails as SPAM!!

gb--

Instead now is a privacy issue.

I only use gmail for things that only work with gmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

watty wrote: »
    Instead now is a privacy issue.

I only use gmail for things that only work with gmail

Why is it a privacy issue? Missing Something

Advertisement