Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Good Camera?

• 06-08-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Any Android phones with a good camera? I currently have an LG Renoir and I love the camera in that, I was just thinking about getting something a little smarter on the inside. So, any Android phones with at the very least an 8MP camera and wifi? Preferably with a radio also, though that's not essential.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

U may need to hang on for next gen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I'm keeping an eye on Samsung, hoping they'll put the camera from the Tocco Ultra into an Android handset...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

The Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 has an 8.1 Mega Pixel camera but the phone itself is let down by an out of date OS (namely Donut 1.6).

But if the rumours are true then I'd hang on for this

The MP number means nothing BTW, 3 is fine for printing photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

JustinOval wrote: »
    I'm keeping an eye on Samsung, hoping they'll put the camera from the Tocco Ultra into an Android handset...

The galaxy s aka i9000 has the same camera and lens as the i8000 and the tocco afik. It was pretty reasonable as far as phone cameras go. Far better than the desire for sure. I had an i8000 for about a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

JustinOval wrote: »
    The MP number means nothing BTW, 3 is fine for printing photos.

MP is important, but it's no where near as important as the lense and given the quality of what's out there 8mp just translates into more noise and poorer pictures.

M5 wrote: »
    The galaxy s aka i9000 has the same camera and lens as the i8000 and the tocco afik. It was pretty reasonable as far as phone cameras go. Far better than the desire for sure. I had an i8000 for about a year

Some reviews suggest the camera on the Galaxy isn't quite as good as the Tocco Ultra (S8300), if it was the same I'd buy one today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

as someone said the sony x10 shoots great pictues. aparently the fact that its 1.6 android doesnt mean much. in fact with more upgrades due, then the pictures may even get better.

i've played around with the x10 its a very nice device and will be getting it in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

The x10 has a great camera yes i agree but the lack of a flash like the old cyber shot models means taking photos on a night out for examle is a waste of time in poor light.

rushnaldo wrote: »
    The x10 has a great camera yes i agree but the lack of a flash like the old cyber shot models means taking photos on a night out for examle is a waste of time in poor light.

thats a bit of a pisser alright. its the led light thing no good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

as someone said the sony x10 shoots great pictues. aparently the fact that its 1.6 android doesnt mean much. in fact with more upgrades due, then the pictures may even get better.

i've played around with the x10 its a very nice device and will be getting it in a couple of weeks.

The Xperia X10 will be getting 720p HD recording capabilities in an update due near the end of the year but as an owner of this phone I can tell you that it is really frustrating to use and miles behind the HTC devices in regards to updates.

As for the camera even though it is an 8.1MP I honestly think that the 5.0MP on my old C902 was better. I think it had more to do with the Cybershot lens and the decent LED flash but the Xperia X10 can only take decent pictures in good light conditions, if it's dark then you can forget about it as the flash is just a light and is pretty much useless.

Raekwon wrote: »
    The Xperia X10 will be getting 720p HD recording capabilities in an update due near the end of the year but as an owner of this phone I can tell you that it is really frustrating to use and miles behind the HTC devices in regards to updates.

As for the camera even though it is an 8.1MP I honestly think that the 5.0MP on my old C902 was better. I think it had more to do with the Cybershot lens and the decent LED flash but the Xperia X10 can only take decent pictures in good light conditions, if it's dark then you can forget about it as the flash is just a light and is pretty much useless.

I'll get over the updates thing to be honest. I've been humming and hawing over what phone to get for the last two months (contract is up this month) and feel that the x10 seems to be the one for me. The galaxy s build quality seems poor and the camera on that is muck anyway. The HTC camera is also muck. And the iPhone 4 is too expensive.

Photography is my hobby, or one of them, and I've been neglecting it of late so hopefully the x10 will reignite it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

led thing is a waste of time. The photos on a night out all come out black. I actually put the sim card into my old k850i cyber shot and take it if im heading away and taking pictures in poor light. But during the day and in good light the x10 is probably the best camera of any android phone. here are two pictues i took this morning in donegal for an example. photos taken on the sony erricsson xperia x10 android phone..

19054738.png

36905151130434517413113.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

Just for comparison, here are some entirely unedited shots from my c902;

picture.php?albumid=399&pictureid=4705

picture.php?albumid=399&pictureid=4706

A pano here using the built-in panorama feature:

picture.php?albumid=399&pictureid=4707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Those photos above would be pretty consistent with the Renoir. I'm just looking for something similar to that running Android. I'll probably have to wait a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Samsung Galaxy S, Wave and Jet all share the same 5 mp camera module as far as I am aware. Both the Jet and Wave have excellent cameras. I have both but don't have a Galaxy, but did find a photo taken with one on Flickr:

4788095576_23e1a4d74d_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/obecny/4788095576/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

and no flash on galaxy

always good to have options :)

HTC HD2 pretty decent camera :) it can run windows mobile and android side by side :) with android soon the 720p recording should be present soon too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Xenon flash or nothing. LEDs are a very poor substitute. Both the Jet and Wave have LED flashes as do most phones except a few that have xenon, like the SE C905. Sure you get an image rather than nothing but the quality is poor and grainy/noisy because the low flash output requires the camera to set a high ISO which is where small sensors, as you usually find in phones, do not perform well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

cnocbui wrote: »
    Xenon flash or nothing. LEDs are a very poor substitute. Both the Jet and Wave have LED flashes as do most phones except a few that have xenon, like the SE C905. Sure you get an image rather than nothing but the quality is poor and grainy/noisy because the low flash output requires the camera to set a high ISO which is where small sensors, as you usually find in phones, do not perform well.

The Motorola XT720 is a xenon-toting Android but it's not available over here :(
    Our neighbours to the East have it though.

Advertisement