Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone cycling around NCD tomorrow morning?

• 06-08-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Early early?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

normally would but heading to wicklow to play on the mountains and practice hill climbs. where do you normally start off from and what level you at?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Blakes Cross 08:30 sharp Swords Cc spin 70k 28-30kph average. We wait for punctures. Lots of turn off points if you need to get home and can carry on if you want longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I hijacked this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055990124

This is a bit of what I have been doing recently:
    Sounds ridiculous when you put it like that! But I was doing 30-35k one way, then later doing another 30-35k. Plus it was over 8/9 days. In fact, just looking at it again and I did only 480 - 500km in 8 days (no rest days) and 610k in 12 days (2 rest days). So over 12 days it's actually only an average of 50k each day, but over 8 days its an average of about 60km a day without a rest day. I should really be able to hit 100km with a couple of days rest before hand then?

I am a beginner though. Reading some of the stuff on climbing hills and I wouldn't have thought about some of the stuff on changing gears. I'd be inclined to lamp into a 'high' gear and try and power up hills for example!

RobFowl wrote: »
    Blakes Cross 08:30 sharp Swords Cc spin 70k 28-30kph average. We wait for punctures. Lots of turn off points if you need to get home and can carry on if you want longer.

What's the route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

try cycling up to drogheda via laytown and bettystown then back down the N1 and take a turn off for the Naul then head Naul to Swords. Should be bout 100k. I did my 1st 100 bout 6 weeks ago from Baldoyle up to Drogheda and back. Roads are flat and light on traffic and easy enough to turn off early and head home if needed. just pace yourself take it easy and enjoy. Use bike route toaster to plan a route and it will give you distance aswell

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What's the route?
    Here

There is also a slower leisure group starting out from Swords at 9.30 - not sure of the route of that one (Note the "All year round (once it's not raining!)" comment though)

neris wrote: »
    try cycling up to drogheda via laytown and bettystown then back down the N1 and take a turn off for the Naul then head Naul to Swords. Should be bout 100k. I did my 1st 100 bout 6 weeks ago from Baldoyle up to Drogheda and back. Roads are flat and light on traffic and easy enough to turn off early and head home if needed. just pace yourself take it easy and enjoy. Use bike route toaster to plan a route and it will give you distance aswell

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds good. Might have to adjust it slightly to make it back to Balbriggan but looks good. I'll have a look at bike route toaster as well. thanks.

Beasty wrote: »
    Here

There is also a slower leisure group starting out from Swords at 9.30 - not sure of the route of that one though

Thanks, what would you suggest I go for?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Thanks, what would you suggest I go for?

Go for the 08:30 group and see how it goes. If it's too fast back off and try the 09:30 one next week. The pace is steady and stay at the back and don't get sucked into doing turns at the front.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Go for the 08:30 group and see how it goes. If it's too fast back off and try the 09:30 one next week. The pace is steady and stay at the back and don't get sucked into doing turns at the front.
    Yeah, that 9.30 links in with the vets. You probably don't want to be seen cycling round NCD with a load of geriatrics...;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, that 9.30 links in with the vets. You probably don't want to be seen cycling round NCD with a load of geriatrics...;)

:D

I'm going to give the 8.30 a go. When you say Blakes Cross, are you talking opposite the garage, on the left hand side as if you are heading for Swords?

I've been having trouble accessing the bloody internet since earlier, in particular Google, I can't access the maps you posted earlier. If you could post up an image it would be brilliant!

From one to another beasty :rolleyes: 35-55 is the growth area in cycling......

Route goes from Blakes Cross to Lusk, heading along the Skerries Road, taking a right towards Loughshinney, then up the coast road to Skerries (getting there around 9), back along the Lusk Road then taking a right up towards Ardgillan and on to Balrothery, over to Naul, then Oldtown and down to the Airport to head back to the old N1 and Swords - those from the Skerries area head back past Blakes Cross and through Lusk

I'm guessing those coming from Swords simply head up the old N1 then take a right at Blakes Cross and set off from there

:D

I'm going to give the 8.30 a go. When you say Blakes Cross, are you talking opposite the garage, on the left hand side as if you are heading for Swords?

I've been having trouble accessing the bloody internet since earlier, in particular Google, I can't access the maps you posted earlier. If you could post up an image it would be brilliant!

Opposite the tire garage at the start of the skerries road. I'll be joining later around Milverton and will be the Chubby guy on a Ridley (not very specific in Swords CC but'll be wearing a Brittany jersey).

The touring group are a great bunch but like to go for longer (time wise) spins and stop for coffee. The Blakes cross spin gets to Swords at 10'45 Skerries at 11'10 Balbriggan at 11'20 so is good in terms of keeping the family happy...

http://www.swordscc.com/
    Look under club training spins
    0830 saturday group

BTW officially it's under the direction of Pat Halligan (he's a very fit Vet on a Raparee frame)

From one to another beasty :rolleyes: 35-55 is the growth area in cycling......
    And I am living evidence of it... - 50 is the new 40, which probably makes you 21 or so:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Whilst we are on the Swords CC vibe, I am just trying to get back into cycling, riding a hybrid, can avg @24 kph over a Swords fairly flat 30k or so on an evening ride, as a non member can I hook up with the beginners group on a Sunday unheralded and just join in?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Whilst we are on the Swords CC vibe, I am just trying to get back into cycling, riding a hybrid, can avg @24 kph over a Swords fairly flat 30k or so on an evening ride, as a non member can I hook up with the beginners group on a Sunday unheralded and just join in?

In a word Yes...

In a word Yes...

Super, thanks.

Opposite the tire garage at the start of the skerries road. I'll be joining later around Milverton and will be the Chubby guy on a Ridley (not very specific in Swords CC but'll be wearing a Brittany jersey).

The touring group are a great bunch but like to go for longer (time wise) spins and stop for coffee. The Blakes cross spin gets to Swords at 10'45 Skerries at 11'10 Balbriggan at 11'20 so is good in terms of keeping the family happy...

http://www.swordscc.com/
    Look under club training spins
    0830 saturday group

BTW officially it's under the direction of Pat Halligan (he's a very fit Vet on a Raparee frame)

When you say gets to Balbriggan at 11'20, do you mean for the (almost) second time as presumably going from Ardgillan to Naul takes you close to Balbriggan.

As it stands I'm looking at cycling from Balbriggan to Blakes cross via the N1 and following the group all the way back to Balbriggan! :D

Route goes from Blakes Cross to Lusk, heading along the Skerries Road, taking a right towards Loughshinney, then up the coast road to Skerries (getting there around 9), back along the Lusk Road then taking a right up towards Ardgillan and on to Balrothery, over to Naul, then Oldtown and down to the Airport to head back to the old N1 and Swords - those from the Skerries area head back past Blakes Cross and through Lusk

I'm guessing those coming from Swords simply head up the old N1 then take a right at Blakes Cross and set off from there

Thanks for all the detail. Can just about picture it now bar the route between ardgillan and naul.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the detail. Can just about picture it now bar the route between ardgillan and naul.
    Left at Ardgillan gates, right at T junction down to and through Balrothery, right onto Old N1/R132, first left, down dip, up hill left towards R122 out of Balbriggan, head out over M1 all the way to Naul ...

And yes, 11.20 is Rob's ETA back at Balrothery/Balbriggan, otherwise he's grounded all next week...

Left at Ardgillan gates, right at T junction down to and through Balrothery, right onto Old N1/R132, first left, down dip, up hill left towards R122 out of Balbriggan, head out over M1 all the way to Naul ...

And yes, 11.20 is Rob's ETA back at Balrothery/Balbriggan, otherwise he's grounded all next week...

Brilliant, got it now. You take one of the back roads between Balrothery and the M1. I've been up and down there loads of times. In fact the road from skerries to ardgillan is really nice. I ran it loads of times a few years back when training for the marathon.

I'll take a leisurely cycle to Blakes cross in the morning so and see how I get on from there. I think I'll be alright! :D

I'll be wearing a plain blue cycling top and black shorts for what it's worth. Please be aware that my bike is also an extremely expensive luvergimossgismo. *

*May or may not be true. May actually be a hybrid raleigh road bike with a bag/carrier. :D

I won't be riding tomorrow, as I have a vets race on Sunday. Depending on what else is on, there may only be a few at Blakes Cross, and they pick up people as they go along, (often quite a few joining in and around Skerries) with Rob not joining until Balbriggan/Balrothery.

I won't be riding tomorrow, as I have a vets race on Sunday. Depending on what else is on, there may only be a few at Blakes Cross, and they pick up people as they go along, (often quite a few joining in and around Skerries) with Rob not joining until Balbriggan/Balrothery.

Ok, presumably it's ok to just turn up and introduce myself to whoever is there then?

Ok, presumably it's ok to just turn up and introduce myself to whoever is there then?
    I'm not sure how long anyone hangs around at Blakes Cross. They may just turn up in a group and head straight off, but if anyone is hanging around just say hello and join in with them, riders normally just join on and say hello as they ride along - Rob will look after you ...

NB - they normally pick the pace up around the airport - don't worry if you get dropped there - it normally comes back together at the lights or one of the roundabouts back on the Old N1. People will be dropping off around that area also, as it heads around Swords

Well that was interesting. 30km/h + up hills was alright for the first half hour or so until I got as far as Skerries and the black hills! All in all, including the journey to Blakes cross, and the journey home I did only 42km. I'd say if I attempt this again, I need more sleep the night before and a few rest days before hand. I also very much need to do a lot of work on hills! Otherwise, it was enjoyable and a bit of an eye opener cycling with people for the first time and I very much appreciated the help and pointers from those I spoke to at the back! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Is any newbies heading to these cycles this morning ?

Preferably the slower one

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Is any newbies heading to these cycles this morning ?

Preferably the slower one

Nope, I was on the beer last night for my wifes birthday, but I hope to make the beginners spin next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Missed it myself this morning will definitely be at the beginners next Sunday to meet a few heads

• Advertisement

Actually I am away on holidays with the kids in Mount Wolesley in Carlow next weekend so I will be cycling round whatever it has to offer, be the sunday afterwards for the beginners spin for me.

Advertisement