Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend Timber Frame House

Options
  • 06-08-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I have what is currently an attached Garage to my Detached House. The Garage is 3.5 metres by 5.6 metres internally. It has a rear Window, internally it is Dry Lined and insulated. Currently there is a Radiator (working) and also there is a pipe entering the room for underfloor heating if wanted. It has a full set of working sockets and is actually wired for electricity, sound, tv and network. The Builder pretty much wanted us to convert but he was asking for a silly amount of money to do so. Anyhow, we are down the road a bit now and I was wondering how easy would it be to extend this Garage, so its maybe 5m wide by 9m long. Is this possible with a timber frame house? Would it have to be knocked and start again or can it be extended. Another option I am thinking is to have the attic converted for storage (within the extension!), and storage only, as the house is a Dormer, I am lacking in Storage Space, so a large opening with a Stira of sorts to hide away suitcases etc. Anyhow, my question is, is it possible and roughly how much would you think? The end game might be to have a Masterbedroom with Ensuite and Walk-in Wardrobe, but I'd factor pricing for that another time, but area must be plumbed obviously. Cheers for any help, again just a rough idea, thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Hi Smithy, I can only answer one question for you I'm afraid, you can extend any building with timber frame, thats the beauty of it. I used to charge around €15 a sq ft + vat for the framing. Hope this helps some bit

Advertisement