Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Galway Bay FMs Signal so Weak?

• 06-08-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭

I dont understand it, if theres buildings on both sides of the street or if you step into a shop it breaks up into static, whereas Clare FM and Midwest radio are crystal clear, also when you're walking it seems like your walking through bands of weak and strong signal every 3 or 4 feet. Its not that we're too close to the transmitter either as its the same story out in the country, every other station crystal clear but Galway fading in and out, its been like this for years. On a bus or train you practically have to hold you MP3 player over your head to get Galway, my phones radio cant find it at all even though it gets Clare no problem, very annoying.

Comments

Where are you?

GBFM broadcasts on different frequencies:

95.8 MHz (Galway city)
    97.4 MHz (Clifden & Connemara)
    96.8 MHz (County Galway)
    97.4 MHz (East Galway)
    97.2 MHz (Gort area)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What receiver have you? Brand?
    I can always get it, usually in car with small aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Well any reciever Ive ever tried, its been like that for years, car and house radios are alright but anything smaller always struggles when Clare etc are perfect.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Bring back County Sound!

I don't listen to GBFM by choice but I have noticed that whenever it's on in a shop or doctor's waiting room it's going in and out. Really irritating!

Maybe it's KF's ego causing interference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since this really is a technical question I'm moving it to Radio.
    Hopefully they'll be able to tell you why the signal is like it is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've noticed that the reception is much better out in the county than it is in Galway city.
    When I lived in the city the signal was very inconsistent and it was much easier to pick up Clare FM and SOS signals from that foreign place north of County Galway.
    Not that I listened to it much though. Tuned in for the news and sport about once a day. There are only so many Your Music Your Station jingles I can take in an hour.
    As for current affairs, I got tired of K.F. giving out about pubs not closing on time and telling the listeners how great the priests in his parish are before moving to a very important news item dealing about the situation in relation to a situation. Nothing against the man, just not my cupán tae, so I voted with the dial on my radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I listen to Galway Bay in my car all the time, i dont it going in and out of reception, which is pretty good considering i'm in west Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Well you should sell that radio to the Pentagon or the Chinese then and take early retirement because its using some kind of advanced reception technology, I used to get buses up to Athlone every weekend for college and even the bus radios used to struggle with it past Ballinasloe.

Advertisement