Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me choose a smartphone!

Options
  • 06-08-2010 4:55pm

Hi,

Looking to get a new phone.. and am absolutely clueless about whats out there, would really appreciate some help!

1. My budget is up to €200, but im open to buying stuff off ebay (i know this could up the range I could afford) Also I would be on meteor pay as you go.. but dont think this is a huge concern as I know phones are easily unlocked

2. My main concern is internet capability.. I would like to be able to check emails, book flights.. use google maps, etc. and wifi / 3G, etc. mean nothing to me.. whats best? I would like not to have to pay a ton for internt use..

3. Would rather someting that wasn't a touchscreen..

4. Very very tempted towards an iphone, purely because of the apps theres already a ton I want to get... other than that I hate apple love nokias!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Look for something with a big screen if you intend to use internet a lot from it.
    Unless you can get an much used and old iPhone there's no way it'll be less than 200. Mind I haven't looked for you.

an 8gig iphone 3G -new and unused goes for about $200 - $250 on ebay

suppose price is negotaible.. just looking for suggestions based on everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

4. Very very tempted towards an iphone,

You might be looking for something that doesn't exist yet :pac:

Are you bill or payg, or will you go bill? What network are you on? Do you like qwerty keypads?

Davy wrote: »
    You might be looking for something that doesn't exist yet :pac:

Are you bill or payg, or will you go bill? What network are you on? Do you like qwerty keypads?

I thought that might be the case :(

Meteor payg.. and I dont really mind what kind of keyboard as long as i can physically press buttons . I have a touchscreen pc and that can be a pain sometimes.. cant imagine it on a smaller scale, although im sure i get used of it!

What I listed as things I want would be my ideal phone i suppose.. would settle for a nokia iphone equivalent.. internet & app capabilities without a huge pricetag.. (although that might be a tall order as well I dont know)

I thought that might be the case :(

Meteor payg.. and I dont really mind what kind of keyboard as long as i can physically press buttons . I have a touchscreen pc and that can be a pain sometimes.. cant imagine it on a smaller scale, although im sure i get used of it!

What I listed as things I want would be my ideal phone i suppose.. would settle for a nokia iphone equivalent.. internet & app capabilities without a huge pricetag.. (although that might be a tall order as well I dont know)

Im not sure what phone to suggest to you really, the n97 is the one thats really stinking out in my mind as the best suited for what your looking for (its touchscreen but also full keyboard for email, browsing etc), but has got a lot of bad press as a handset. The price may also be a problem. Their is a 'mini' version also,, are you familiar with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

a new Nokia e63, or a used e72, both in budget and great smart phones. Both have, wifi & 3G also great internet phones.

a new Nokia e63, or a used e72, both in budget and great smart phones. Both have, wifi & 3G also great internet phones.

Were my next two in mind :). Going for the N97 still though, their is more apps for the n97 than e63 or e72, and the screen is nicer and bigger on the n97

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

wouldnt push ya towards the N97 as it will disappoint u!!

E72 by the sound of it is what you need!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

wouldnt push ya towards the N97 as it will disappoint u!!

E72 by the sound of it is what you need!
    I was in looking at the e72 the other day and it feel's great light and the key board is well spaced (i have big hands)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

i know what you mean big lad here big hands too :)

though i got a HTC HD2 with a 4.2" screen and that has really helped typing and browsing the web experience...i went into a phone shop to look around a bit and all other phones seemed to small and hard to use with their small screens and buttons ;)

• Advertisement

I was in looking at the e72 the other day and it feel's great light and the key board is well spaced (i have big hands)

Guess that answers the other thread so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

an 8gig iphone 3G -new and unused goes for about $200 - $250 on ebay

suppose price is negotaible.. just looking for suggestions based on everything else
    Any chance of a link to one of them? Can't find one at that price at all

Hi,

Looking to get a new phone.. and am absolutely clueless about whats out there, would really appreciate some help!

1. My budget is up to €200, but im open to buying stuff off ebay (i know this could up the range I could afford) Also I would be on meteor pay as you go.. but dont think this is a huge concern as I know phones are easily unlocked

2. My main concern is internet capability.. I would like to be able to check emails, book flights.. use google maps, etc. and wifi / 3G, etc. mean nothing to me.. whats best? I would like not to have to pay a ton for internt use..

4. Very very tempted towards an iphone, purely because of the apps theres already a ton I want to get... other than that I hate apple love nokias!

Thanks!
    e63 is €159.99 on the Meteor online shop so you would get the free upgrade credit (this was €139.99 a few weeks back so price may change)

thanks for the help everyone... the n97 looks awesome, but think im going to go with e63 - looks practical and perfect for me!

@CantGetNoSleep should find a few in that price range here:http://bit.ly/bA2izC

thanks for the help everyone... the n97 looks awesome, but think im going to go with e63 - looks practical and perfect for me!

@CantGetNoSleep should find a few in that price range here:http://bit.ly/bA2izC
    Thanks, I'm using an e63 at the moment, great phone I am not considering replacing it, I need two phones so just looking at what is available, even thinking of getting a second one I like it that much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

nokia 5530. its a touchscreen but the only one ive ever been able to use like a normal phone. wifi, good screen, nice looking and the cheaper of most. lots of features and on meteor payg already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Davy wrote: »
    Guess that answers the other thread so :pac:
    Yep , I think i am going to go with meteor tho 200 euro in the hand set difference plus a better monthly deal :D (only thing is 3g is a small coverage area but i am well with in it and dont expect to be going outside it )

nokia 5530. its a touchscreen but the only one ive ever been able to use like a normal phone. wifi, good screen, nice looking and the cheaper of most. lots of features and on meteor payg already

Its not a 3G handset, so would be great for the OP, with a lot of internet usage.

Yep , I think i am going to go with meteor tho 200 euro in the hand set difference plus a better monthly deal :D (only thing is 3g is a small coverage area but i am well with in it and dont expect to be going outside it )

They have EDGE too, thats a big help outside 3g zones, enjoy it

Advertisement