Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planet X SL Pro Frame Sizing Question

• 06-08-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I'm about to put in an order for a Planet X SL Pro, which seems to be the weapon of choice around here. I'm 5'10" and have a 32.5" inseam. I'm in two minds whether I should go for medium or large, can someone who is around the same height and has one please advise?!?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Am the same height (though I claim 5' 11" if asked), and went for the medium. I think I am very borderline on the medium / large question. I use a few too many spacers (35mm) with a 110mm stem and still have a 75mm drop from saddle to bars. I would like to have tried both before deciding but there y'are, the old buy online vs LBS debate again.

Yup, about my measurements, I've a medium frame and it fits me pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Thanks lads, appreciate it, I've asked the same question on bikeradar and have received similar advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Ring Planet X. They'll tell you Large. I'm 5'11", 33 inch inseam and have a large SL Pro Carbon. I really wouldn't be comfortable on anything smaller.I had the same question last year when buying, and the Planet X guys said large, and I 'm glad they did. You're more than welcome to try mine if you're around Sth Dublin/Wicklow. Don't buy a medium unless you're sure.

happygoose wrote: »
    I'm about to put in an order for a Planet X SL Pro, which seems to be the weapon of choice around here. I'm 5'10" and have a 32.5" inseam. I'm in two minds whether I should go for medium or large, can someone who is around the same height and has one please advise?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

spyderski wrote: »
    Ring Planet X. They'll tell you Large. I'm 5'11", 33 inch inseam and have a large SL Pro Carbon. I really wouldn't be comfortable on anything smaller.I had the same question last year when buying, and the Planet X guys said large, and I 'm glad they did. You're more than welcome to try mine if you're around Sth Dublin/Wicklow. Don't buy a medium unless you're sure.

Thanks Spyderski, I'll give Frank or Ian a call. Appreciate the offer too btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I'm around 5'11" and went with the medium PX. Its quite a compact frame and I think I should've gone for the large. If you can get a test spin, do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I'm 5'10 1/2", I have a large, it fits me fine, have had it 18months now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

You can make a small bike bigger, you can't make a big bike any smaller..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 savedbythebell

Im also in the same boat regarding sizing for a potential order of an Sl Pro carbon.

Im 5 foot 8.5 with an inseam of 32 inches. I currently ride a 56cm Felt F5 but i think its borderline too large, even with a 90mm stem i feel stretched out on long rides.

Im looking at a small or medium in the Sl Pro, im thinking medium as the compact geometry should fit me better also? Is the medium closer to a standard 54cm or a 56cm? Any input?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

happygoose wrote: »

If its too small you can always stretch it to fit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Im also in the same boat regarding sizing for a potential order of an Sl Pro carbon.

Im 5 foot 8.5 with an inseam of 32 inches. I currently ride a 56cm Felt F5 but i think its borderline too large, even with a 90mm stem i feel stretched out on long rides.

Im looking at a small or medium in the Sl Pro, im thinking medium as the compact geometry should fit me better also? Is the medium closer to a standard 54cm or a 56cm? Any input?

Cheers.

From memory the effective top tube on my medium PX is 545mm, I rode a 56 cm Trek before purchasing, the meduim PX is closer to a 54 cm I reckon.

G'co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 savedbythebell

Gasco, thats what I was hoping for, something closer to a 54cm with the shorter top tube should be a better fit for me, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

im 5'11 and have large size PX , if your ub sth dublin u cab check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 malachy5

ipodrocker wrote: »
    im 5'11 and have large size PX , if your ub sth dublin u cab check it out.

What stem size are you using with this? I'm thinking of getting one too but at 6'1.5" I'm borderline on L or XL. I might need the extra top tube and higher handlebars with XL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

im using 110mm stem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

To add to the sizing examples, I am 6ft, 33.75" inseam and ride a large PX with 110mm stem and 5mm layback seatpost.

Advertisement