Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non moly dilemma

Options
  • 06-08-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks,

I recently ordered some moly coated rounds online. A box arrived today and contained the same rounds, just not moly coated. With the weather I've not shot them yet. It's going back and forth in my mind that I didn't get what I ordered, and wasn't advised a different order had been shipped.

Just wondering about the difference between. I've heard in the past if you start with moly then continue on with them, that chopping and changing isn't good. Just put out because the moly ones I was shooting were doing really well.

Ever so slightly annoyed,

John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

maybe im wrong but i think moly is like a fishing fly ;)designed to catch fishermen not fish on the whole ,unless your going to send them back shoot them and see what they group like two schools of thought on things like this
    gun + bullet = hit -happy shooter
    gun+bullet +too much information= hit but unhappy shooter cos he's over analyzing the job
    the old KISS springs to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I know what you mean LK. It wasn't my intention or design to have several boxes of non moly delivered today as I ordered moly coated. Since then I see they've updated and now are out of stock of moly coated plus the price has risen +€3 per box, got to love Ireland :rolleyes: I'm annoyed as it's bad service not informing the customer you don't have what's been ordered. (Shipping was less expensive than I was charged also - going by the sticker on the box).

I'm delighted with how the moly rounds shoot from my rifle. Last two groups were 0.5" and 0.4" (I don't often shoot groups/targets).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Would you sell them on John and try and get more moly?

Depending on the rounds a lot of lads use .223 and might be happy to take them off you cost price so you're not out of pocket.

Unfortunately I have just topped up in .223 ammo (cheap AE mind but I do have 100 of them) otherwise I'd take them off you at cost if you didn't want to shoot them

I agree with keeping it simple but keeping it simple means not changing ammo. Why would you risk changing ammo when your groups are so tight

I think I'll do some ringing around tomorrow and see who has what.

By the by, what is the score with selling on ammo, person to person, or can it be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

johngalway wrote: »
    By the by, what is the score with selling on ammo, person to person, or can it be done?

Good question, I should have considered that before advising it on a public forum maybe :o

Not sure of the answer.

• Advertisement

Lol I was thinking as much. I don't know either, but I will err on the side of caution ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Vegeta wrote: »
    Would you sell them on John and try and get more moly?

Depending on the rounds a lot of lads use .223 and might be happy to take them off you cost price so you're not out of pocket.

Unfortunately I have just topped up in .223 ammo (cheap AE mind but I do have 100 of them) otherwise I'd take them off you at cost if you didn't want to shoot them

I agree with keeping it simple but keeping it simple means not changing ammo. Why would you risk changing ammo when your groups are so tight

I would not use non moly ammo after spending years getting a lovely Moly coating.

Have a ring around, I'm sure someone will be able to sort you out.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

Ever so slightly annoyed

I'd say thats an understatement John.

I'd be interested to know if it was from an Irish retailer as pretty much
    the same thing happened to me when i ordered a couple of boxes of 22lr.

Goosie wrote: »

Ever so slightly annoyed

I'd say thats an understatement John.

I'd be interested to know if it was from an Irish retailer as pretty much
    the same thing happened to me when i ordered a couple of boxes of 22lr.

I walked into a shop and was handed 200 rounds of varmint express, Not V-max Moly's

I only copped when i checked them in daylight 2 days later.

i never fired any; and returned them post haste!

varmint express

Soon as I saw that on the box :rolleyes:

Yes, it was an Irish retailer. I don't see how hard it is to fire off an email saying sorry we're currently out of stock of ammo X but we have ammo Y in stock, or we can offer a refund.

If I can nail down someone in the morning with a decent price on moly I'll send them back, if not I'll try one box and see how that goes.

• Advertisement

Soon as I saw that on the box :rolleyes:

Yes, it was an Irish retailer. I don't see how hard it is to fire off an email saying sorry we're currently out of stock of ammo X but we have ammo Y in stock, or we can offer a refund.

If I can nail down someone in the morning with a decent price on moly I'll send them back, if not I'll try one box and see how that goes.

Give me a shout if you can't get any moly, I might be able to get some Moly Coated rounds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

Yes but then they might not get a sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

are the moly coated rounds much more expensive than regular v-max.
    and what are the benefits of using them

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Vegeta wrote: »
    Good question, I should have considered that before advising it on a public forum maybe :o
    Not sure of the answer.

So long as you both have a licence for that calibre, and you don't make a profit from the sale, you're okay. (Making a profit on a sale means you have to pay VAT from what I remember). It's basicly the same as selling someone your rifle second-hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

have a google at moly coated bullets makes interesting reading
    lower velocity due to bullet leaving the barrel sooner :eek:the opposite of what i assumed

landkeeper wrote: »
    lower velocity due to bullet leaving the barrel sooner :eek:the opposite of what i assumed

Doesn't matter to me, they shoot great from my gun :)

They shoot AMAZING out of mine, I'm no World class shooter, but she makes me look good firing Moly's ;)

I'll chrono a few to see what the REAL data is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Lots of people have questioned the moly coated rounds, there was a thread here a while back with an article about them ruining barrels!

Lots of mixed opinions, don't use em but a friend does and he finds them very good.

patsat wrote: »
    Lots of people have questioned the moly coated rounds, there was a thread here a while back with an article about them ruining barrels!

Lots of mixed opinions, don't use em but a friend does and he finds them very good.

I've posted groups of my .223 moly coated rounds.

If it ain't broke........ don't fix it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

I use mostly moly coated but often use the non coated 40gr BT when the moly arnt available, don't see any issue in using them to be honest as the groups and POI are all but identical.
    I also use AE 50gr hollow Point for plinking (Fu(ked if I'm using the hornadys for that crack!)
    All that in a custom .223 with a Shelin barrell.
    Mind you, I do clean her religiously after each use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

declan1980 wrote: »
    are the moly coated rounds much more expensive than regular v-max.
    and what are the benefits of using them

Sir - moly-coated bullets were all the rage a few years back. Some are convinced believers, and continue to use them, many others, like me, tried them because we could do so easily [being able to make our own ammunition], and saw no real benefit. I even invested in a moly-coating sytem to coat ordinary bullets, a machine a bit like a case tumbler that 'beat' the moly into the jacketing.

When I saw that there was no real benefit [for me] I discarded the whole thing, but it did not leave me immediately.

It took over three weeks of daily bore-cleaning to get the moly out of the barrel.

So you either use them or you don't - there really is no half-way house to it.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Sir - moly-coated bullets were all the rage a few years back. Some are convinced believers, and continue to use them, many others, like me, tried them because we could do so easily [being able to make our own ammunition], and saw no real benefit. I even invested in a moly-coating sytem to coat ordinary bullets, a machine a bit like a case tumbler that 'beat' the moly into the jacketing.

When I saw that there was no real benefit [for me] I discarded the whole thing, but it did not leave me immediately.

It took over three weeks of daily bore-cleaning to get the moly out of the barrel.

So you either use them or you don't - there really is no half-way house to it.

tac

I'm of same opinion, either use them consistantly, or not at all. I have my .223 barrel well coated at this stage.

Something I did notice, rounds exposed to atmosphere hold up better than copper as the copper corodes and turns green if exposed.

I only use Moly in my .223 as she gets hotter than my .308

...Something I did notice, rounds exposed to atmosphere hold up better than copper as the copper corodes and turns green if exposed.

I don't usually have ammunition long enough to watch it grow green.

I've just made all the .308Win ammunition that I'll be shooting tomorrow.

tac

I don't usually have ammunition long enough to watch it grow green.

I've just made all the .308Win ammunition that I'll be shooting tomorrow.

tac

I'm awaiting ammo from Intershoot HPS for my .223 and .308.

Nice of you to brag that you can load your own in the UK or where ever you are these days! :D :-D

I'm awaiting ammo from Intershoot HPS for my .223 and .308.

Nice of you to brag that you can load your own in the UK or where ever you are these days! :D :-D

Sir - bragging was not my intention, and I'm indeed sorry to see that you took it that way. I can't alter facts to compensate for differences in your laws and those of the rest of the shooting world.

I can only try, along with my colleagues in the VCRAI, to bring to the attention of the DoJ the marked and, in MY view, unjust differences between what is permitted in the RoI and what is commonplace just about everywhere else, by judicious use of the submissions' route.

If you and the rest of the posters here would rather not know what the rest of the shooting world gets up to, then that's just dandy by me.

tac

Sir - bragging was not my intention, and I'm indeed sorry to see that you took it that way. I can't alter facts to compensate for differences in your laws and those of the rest of the shooting world.

I can only try, along with my colleagues in the VCRAI, to bring to the attention of the DoJ the marked and, in MY view, unjust differences between what is permitted in the RoI and what is commonplace just about everywhere else, by judicious use of the submissions' route.

If you and the rest of the posters here would rather not know what the rest of the shooting world gets up to, then that's just dandy by me.

tac

you must have missed the smilie face I put at the end of the message, I was joking : D =Smilie face :D = Joking

you must have missed the smilie face I put at the end of the message, I was joking : D =Smilie face :D = Joking

Sorry, as I explained before, I don't see emoticons.

In the interests of maintaining harmony and to prevent causing any ill-feelings in members of this board in any future posts I hereby undertake not to make any mention of what I do over here, or there.

I'll restrict my comments to factual information within my admittedly small area of interest.

If anybody wants to read anything else I might write, that might otherwise be contentious on this board, please go to the following boards -

www.sigforum.com
    www.swissrifles.com
    www.gunboards.com
    www.northwestfirearms.com
    www.muzzleloadingforum.com
    www.vcrai.com

Thanks.

tac

Sorry, as I explained before, I don't see emoticons.

In the interests of maintaining harmony and to prevent causing any ill-feelings in members of this board in any future posts I hereby undertake not to make any mention of what I do over here, or there.

I'll restrict my comments to factual information within my admittedly small area of interest.

If anybody wants to read anything else I might write, that might otherwise be contentious on this board, please go to the following boards -

www.sigforum.com
    www.swissrifles.com
    www.gunboards.com
    www.northwestfirearms.com
    www.muzzleloadingforum.com
    www.vcrai.com

Thanks.

tac

tac, can you not get a different keyboard (USB) type?

I have a lot of Russian and Israeli friends who have a different keyboard for corresponding with their family back home.
    Even if you use a laptop/Notebook or Ipad you should be able to get a different keyboard that can be used on an ad-hoc basis.

We all have the same interests broadly on here, sometimes jokes can be lost in cyberspace.

I has Joking about "bragging" I'm interested in Vintage rifles, I may get one down the road.

I have owned a 1910 Swedish Mauser!
    And I do like your Krico rifle with the NF scope!

I has Joking about "bragging" I'm interested in Vintage rifles, I may get one down the road. I have owned a 1910 Swedish Mauser! And I do like your Krico rifle with the NF scope!

I'd love to own ANY Swedish rifle or carbine, but my county has imposed a limit of sixteen firearms, and I already have 18.

The Krico is my only modern rifle here in UK.

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement