Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Right Hook - Friday Format

• 06-08-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

What's the story with the Right Hook on a Friday? The first hour is George Hook chatting with the same 2 guys every week about issues in the news. It's like listening to 3 guys in the pub. It seems to me that Newstalk are copying the format of RTE Radio 1 were they have a panel every Friday talking about the issues that occured during the week. Why use the same format? I purposely don't listen to the panel on RTE Radio 1 so I switch over to the other station but now Newstalk are just doing the same. It was better when they just gave us the news and discussed it with 'experts'.

It's amazing how these drivetime shows have evolved over the years. When Newstalk introduced a travel section, The Last Word and Drivetime immedicately copied. Personally I would prefer a 2 hour programme without slots featuring travel, cars, movies etc. Just give me the news!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Fair point but isn't there horses for courses? Don't RTE and Today FM tend to cover the news side a bit more than Newstalk?(Hmm. That last bit is a bit ironic?!:)) Bear in mind that there isn't a whole lot of 'juicy' news around just now as the newsmakers are on their jollies as are the main news reporters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

George is in full-on knockabout mode today, I'm enjoying it a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

mike65 wrote: »
    George is in full-on knockabout mode today, I'm enjoying it a little bit.
    I think he's the best of the Talk Show presenters on radio these days. Totally self depracating, doesn't take himself as seriously as all the others do, flirts with the women and always sticks to his guns.... And doesn't really give a sh1t! Top man!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Strange to hear Edwina Currie on giving out about Noel Dempsey.
    Perhaps Mary O'Rourke was unavailable for comment !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paulbfagan

I think he's the best of the Talk Show presenters on radio these days. Totally self depracating, doesn't take himself as seriously as all the others do, flirts with the women and always sticks to his guns.... And doesn't really give a sh1t! Top man!
    Agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Interesting, my take is that he is nothing more than a pompous old wind bag who knows very little about anything he comments on. His 4:30 - 5:00 'opinion pieces' are car crash radio at it's finest, nothing more than rabble raising before he slips off home to Ingrid in Foxrock. The irony of a man who ran more failed busineses and left debts like Anglo commenting on corrupt developers and politicians is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Rosser wrote: »
    Interesting, my take is that he is nothing more than a pompous old wind bag who knows very little about anything he comments on. His 4:30 - 5:00 'opinion pieces' are car crash radio at it's finest, nothing more than rabble raising before he slips off home to Ingrid in Foxrock. The irony of a man who ran more failed busineses and left debts like Anglo commenting on corrupt developers and politicians is wonderful.

Couldn't agree more. He failed at everything he ever did and has now resorted to whoring himself (the Sky ad being the icing on the cake) for every last euro he can grub.

Advertisement