Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woofer wanted!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Appreciate all the sound advice.
    Some very good stuff suggested for which I'm very grateful for.

I never even though about having to manage long hair on dogs although I did mention the losing of it, so thats a good point in itself alone.

My family (parents) had a King Charles before but it ended up with ear and eye problems which I'm led to believe (might be wrong?) that they are prone to?
    I know they are a lovely animal though and great with young children. The kids (4 by the way) are 6 and under so they would be growing up with the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Biggins wrote: »
    Appreciate all the sound advice.
    Some very good stuff suggested for which I'm very grateful for.

I never even though about having to manage long hair on dogs although I did mention the losing of it, so thats a good point in itself alone.

My family has a king Charles before but it ended up with ear and eye problems which I'm led to believe (might be wrong?) that they are prone to?
    I know ther are a lovely animal though and great with young children. The kids (4) by the way 6 and under so they would be growing up with the animal.

I'd avoid anything too small as kids of that age are going to end up stepping on it a lot as they run round playing.

Before going to a shelter I'd urge you to do some general 'homework' some of the other threads on this forum would be a great place to do it. Look at the ones where people have asked questions and read the answers they've been given. Of course if you go for a older pup or young adult dog you may well be able to avoid some of the toilet and house training business depending on where the dog origionated. You'll find a lot of threads on here are related to people having puppy problems ;)

<ETA>Also a good tip - anything that isn't very high shed you can avoid most of the hair problems by giving it a quick brush over twice a day so the hair ends up on the brush as opposed to everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Biggins, this is probably the most even thread we've had on bull breeds in a long time: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055969502 (and that's saying something). Thankfully no breeds are illegal in Ireland, some breeds just come with nonsensical restrictions when you have them in public.

There's no such thing as a dog or a breed which is inherently dangerous to people. Most of the older breeds were bred for a purpose and so may be more or less family-oriented depending on what their purpose was. That's not to say that the dogs will not make a good pet - all dogs are pack animals and love being part of a family - but they may be less tolerent of children and running and screaming. Collies and Spaniels for example. But they too will work fine in a family so long as the children are taught what is and is not OK around the dog. Some dogs will allow your kids to drag out of their ears and their tail will keep wagging. Other dogs will anger quickly and snap- a warning, which may include a small nip. But the incidence of serious attacks is very, very small. Less than 1 serious attack per 100,000 of population.
    So safety should be your least concern here at first. Their bike is a statistical deathtrap in comparison (and I'm a cyclist!).

So that out of the way, what's suitable for you may be dependent on your family situation, but generally it's more dependent on just two things:
    1. How much space do you have
    2. How active you are

How much space you have is obvious. A St. Bernard in a 2-up, 2-down would not be a lot of fun. Certain breeds require lots of walking, generally the larger the breed, the more walking they will need. So if you have lots of time and you enjoy getting out for an hour's powerwalk every day, then a greyhound may suit you. On the other hand, if you can only generally make 30 minutes a day to get out, then a smaller breed, such as a cavalier or a jack russell might be best. Any dog will need to be walked every day, minimum of 30 minutes - ideally twice a day.
    But I wouldn't condemn anyone for getting out for one decent walk per day and then a good long walk every weekend.

I too would recommend a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but I'm biased. I would recommend taking a trip to the DSPCA (you're in Dublin, right?). You can see the dogs there, with the kids, and the adoption consultants will know the dog's temperament and can recommend how each one will settle into your family. Most likely you will all fall in love with some dog who is a million miles away from what you intended on getting, but you won't be able to leave him/her there :D

When you get the dog, treat it as if you've just gotten a brand new 5-year-old into the house. You have to train both the dog *and* your family on how things work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The kids (4) by the way 6 and under so they would be growing up with the animal.
    Remember YOU get the choice, not them. Dont let them choose for the love of god :D

They'll pick the cutest fluffiest fecker in the bunch. They'll love whatever you pick even if its the beigest,plainest,quietest mongrel (:D selling mongrels here). Cavaliers...great dogs..but again can have predisposed genetic conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

seamus wrote: »
    ...So that out of the way, what's suitable for you may be dependent on your family situation, but generally it's more dependent on just two things:
    2. How active you are

How much space you have is obvious. A St. Bernard in a 2-up, 2-down would not be a lot of fun. Certain breeds require lots of walking, generally the larger the breed, the more walking they will need. So if you have lots of time and you enjoy getting out for an hour's powerwalk every day, then a greyhound may suit you. On the other hand, if you can only generally make 30 minutes a day to get out, then a smaller breed, such as a cavalier or a jack russell might be best. Any dog will need to be walked every day, minimum of 30 minutes - ideally twice a day.
    But I wouldn't condemn anyone for getting out for one decent walk per day and then a good long walk every weekend.

I too would recommend a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but I'm biased. I would recommend taking a trip to the DSPCA (you're in Dublin, right?). You can see the dogs there, with the kids, and the adoption consultants will know the dog's temperament and can recommend how each one will settle into your family. Most likely you will all fall in love with some dog who is a million miles away from what you intended on getting, but you won't be able to leave him/her there :D

When you get the dog, treat it as if you've just gotten a brand new 5-year-old into the house. You have to train both the dog *and* your family on how things work now.

Cheers for the extensive post. To answer some of your questions...
    Space is not a problem. Bungalow. I live outside Drogheda. Basically in the countryside. So walking is not a problem.
    I am a very active person (work/fit reasons alone).
    First port of call will be to an animal shelter in a place called Cullan (hope I've spelt that right!).

Probably will go looking for something small to medium and no, as much as I will let the kids have their say, their feelings based just on looks and cuteness, will not be the ultimate deciding factor.
    So tips on an animal that stays generally healthy, easy to train, etc are very gratefully received. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

So tips on an animal that stays generally healthy, easy to train, etc are very gratefully received. :)

From my understanding mongrels have less health problems i.e. they're not coming from such a narrow gene pool, or the mongrel dilutes the breed specific problems.
    Also from what I can gather from the dog trainer I used and owner of the shelter, most dogs are easy to train if caught young enough, although some breeds are smarter than others e.g. collies. Mind you I'm sure my fella is the smartest pup around. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

their feelings based just on looks and cuteness, will not be the ultimate deciding factor.
    It's your feelings that you need to watch out for, they might catch you off guard. :) Although the dog will be a companion for the kids, remember that you and your wife will likely be the ones who spend the most quality time with the dog, so get a dog that you're compatible with.
    Tootle wrote: »
    From my understanding mongrels have less health problems i.e. they're not coming from such a narrow gene pool, or the mongrel dilutes the breed specific problems.
    There's a whole other thread in that. It all comes down to breeding basically - a properly-bred purebreed is less likely to have health issues than a poorly-bred mongrel. The problem is that puppy farms care not for the quality of breeding, so purebreed dogs from puppy farms are likely to be inbred and rife with health issues.
    Puppy farms don't breed mongrels, which is what leads people to believe that mongrels have less health issues - the market is awash with poorly-bred purebreed dogs.

As said above, read up on various breeds - wikipedia is good. Every breed has its own specific age-related problems.
    Also from what I can gather from the dog trainer I used and owner of the shelter, most dogs are easy to train if caught young enough, although some breeds are smarter than others e.g. collies.
    Yep, pretty much. Like humans, the earlier you catch them, the quicker they will pick up stuff and get used to the family routine. You can teach old dogs new tricks, it just takes a little more work :)

I would say that you could do well with a greyhound-type breed, lurcher, etc. Lovely dogs, very sociable, short-haired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Cheers for the extensive post. To answer some of your questions...
    Space is not a problem. Bungalow. I live outside Drogheda. Basically in the countryside. So walking is not a problem.
    I am a very active person (work/fit reasons alone).
    First port of call will be to an animal shelter in a place called Cullan (hope I've spelt that right!).

Probably will go looking for something small to medium and no, as much as I will let the kids have their say, their feelings based just on looks and cuteness, will not be the ultimate deciding factor.

Going on previous posts on here and elsewhere, I wouldn't recommend Collon. Give DAR (Drogheda Animal Rescue) a call, they have a website, they'll be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Just to add a note on small breeds not needing much exercise (i've seen it twice on the thread) I have a Jack Russell who is very much on the small side (she's about 5 inches tall and has been mistaken for a rat on a lead on more than 1 occasion) and if she doesn't get at least an hour walk and about 30 minutes frisbee chasing she is a nightmare to have in the house :p

Don't think that the size of the dog dictates how much exercise they need, my Jack needs more than my Springer who is about 4 times bigger than her :D

Good Luck with your search I hope you find a brilliant new family member

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Just to add a note on small breeds not needing much exercise (i've seen it twice on the thread) I have a Jack Russell who is very much on the small side (she's about 5 inches tall and has been mistaken for a rat on a lead on more than 1 occasion) and if she doesn't get at least an hour walk and about 30 minutes frisbee chasing she is a nightmare to have in the house :p

Don't think that the size of the dog dictates how much exercise they need, my Jack needs more than my Springer who is about 4 times bigger than her :D

Have to agree with the above I've a westie and man does he like to run and run and then run some more! Another way of looking at it is a well exercised dog is a tired but calm and happy dog. Best of luck with the search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just to add a note on small breeds not needing much exercise
    <snip>
    my Jack needs more than my Springer who is about 4 times bigger than her :D

Have to agree with the above I've a westie and man does he like to run and run and then run some more! Another way of looking at it is a well exercised dog is a tired but calm and happy dog. Best of luck with the search.

Hence why most terrier breeds might not be the best option, kids will usually tire a dog out to a fair extent. My 3 month Westie needs 3 short walks a day, even with endless racing round the house and garden and a good hour of digging up the beds in the stables :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well my Westie is doing great, he's about...15 weeks old now. They are very, very headstrong though.

You've been given great advice here already, good luck on your new dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Gonna plug my dog :), a Japanese Spitz, he's been the perfect pet for me for the past 10 years and is still healthy and active. Don't let the long hair fool you a good brush once a week (bit more when they moult) and they shed v.little. They are intelligent, found mine easy to train and they have an oil free coat so it doesn't trap smells or dirt.
    Here's a rescue that deals with this breed, all their dogs are vacc'd, microchipped and neutered and all they require is €150 donation.
    http://www.japanesespitzrescue.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

definately go to the pound first see if you can find one thier,as most of the dogs will be put to sleep in a matter of days.I think legally theey have to wait 72 hours but im not sure. do know if a dog is brought in to them they dont even have to wait.:(

another plus for a cavalier is the excercise 30-60 mins a day.
    they really are very lazy dogs that will just sleep and dose for most of the day(usually on your lap)

failing not finding a suitable dog at the pound check this website,they do great work for cavlaiers throughout ireland
    http://ckcsrescue.com/rescue/homes_needed/homes_needed.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

some websites and contacts Biggins

http://www.dar.ie/index.php?page=dogs-needing-homes

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Dog-Pound/

http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Environment/DogPound-Meath/

http://www.lasthope.ie/?page_id=28

http://www.lasthope.ie/?page_id=26

http://www.carrickboardingkennels.ie/dogs-available-for-adoption.html

Bull breed rescue and advice www.egar.org (go to rescue board at the top and register)

Very best of luck

EDIT - have you seen this wee pup?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67282276&postcount=485 Pic here in this post
    Spadina wrote: »
    Hi All,

A relative of mine is looking to find a home for a puppy her dog had ASAP.

The puppy is a Jack Russell/Bichon Frise cross, 3 month old male, very friendly, very good with everyone including children, and on his way to being housetrained.

I'm waiting on a photo of him and will upload it as soon as I get it. She is based in Galway County, and looking to rehome immediately as his dad (the Bichon Frise) is taking a dislike to him

If anyone is interested please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

seamus wrote: »
    Biggins, this is probably the most even thread we've had on bull breeds in a long time: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055969502 (and that's saying something). Thankfully no breeds are illegal in Ireland, some breeds just come with nonsensical restrictions when you have them in public.

There's no such thing as a dog or a breed which is inherently dangerous to people. Most of the older breeds were bred for a purpose and so may be more or less family-oriented depending on what their purpose was. That's not to say that the dogs will not make a good pet - all dogs are pack animals and love being part of a family - but they may be less tolerent of children and running and screaming. Collies and Spaniels for example. But they too will work fine in a family so long as the children are taught what is and is not OK around the dog. Some dogs will allow your kids to drag out of their ears and their tail will keep wagging. Other dogs will anger quickly and snap- a warning, which may include a small nip. But the incidence of serious attacks is very, very small. Less than 1 serious attack per 100,000 of population.
    So safety should be your least concern here at first. Their bike is a statistical deathtrap in comparison (and I'm a cyclist!).

So that out of the way, what's suitable for you may be dependent on your family situation, but generally it's more dependent on just two things:
    2. How active you are

Informative post seamus, just one thing Id correct on it though, generally greyhounds do not need powerwalks every day, two 20 minute strolls a day and they are usually happy. Jack russels need a lot more than 30 minutes a day, this is why jrt's are often considered nippy and bark a lot, they are usually seen as small dogs so therefore only need a little exercise but it's the complete opposite, from my experience anyways they need more exercise than most large breeds to be content and well behaved dogs.

Stay away from a certain rescue you have mentioned OP, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837670
    Lots of good advice already given, all Il add is it doesn't matter what breed you get, no breed can be considered completely 100% safe with children so therefore all dogs should be supervised when around children.
    Also have the kids spent much time around dogs? If you have any friends with dogs organise a few visits to introduce the kids to them, it happens too often that a family gets a dog, everyone bonds with it, kids fall in love with it and then it turns out one of the kids is allergic to dogs so it breaks everyone's hearts if the kid is so allergic that the dog has to be re-homed. :(

Good luck with your search and keep us updated please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Calm down-Infraction issued for that comment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dark shadow.
    You havent even posted in this thread and you suddenly attack a poster without being involved.
    Consider this a warning or I will ban you from the forum.

Advertisement