Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor free mobile internet plan - keeping track of the 250MB?

Options
  • 06-08-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just got a Nokia E52, didn't have internet on my old phone and thinking of switching my plan on Meteor to the "Free internet and Meteor Texts" option.

The mobile internet is capped at 250MB/month... does anyone know is there a way of tracking your usage? Does Meteor have any log-in screen to check? When you go over the limit they charge per KB.

I'll mostly be just using it for Gmail so shouldn't be too heavy, I'll use wifi for heavier use.

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well they use *#105# for the 50mb a day payg addon, but im not sure if this works for this plan tbh, never come across it, its worth a try though.

If it doesn't, use the data counter in the handset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

Davy wrote: »
    Well they use *#105# for the 50mb a day payg addon, but im not sure if this works for this plan tbh, never come across it, its worth a try though.

If it doesn't, use the data counter in the handset
    You can use mymeteor to track your data usage.

If I might add, Bill Pay Lite €10 gives you 50 mins, 50 texts and free meteor texts. For a fiver you get 250 mb. Or 10 GB for €15, which is handy for tethering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

That's actually a much better deal for €25 (€10 + €15).... thanks for the heads up. I might just go for that.
    You can use mymeteor to track your data usage.

How do you do this? All I can see is a few small itemised kb usages... no totals...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Try texting data balance to 50104. It might only work for bill pay though.

When I log into the website I see a table that has my remaining units: minutes, international minutes, texts and data. Again might not be there on pre pay

• Registered Users Posts: 25,464 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm on a similar data plan with O2 so can't address the issue of checking the usage with Meteor but I can tell you that you would be nowhere near 250MB each month if gmail is your main usage on the mobile phone.

You can track your data traffic volumes on the phone, you'll need to know your monthly cutoff date and then on that date each month you'd need to zero the data counters, no guarantee that Meteor will agree with the numbers on the phone but it's better than guessing. On an E55 to view your usage you go to 'Log' and then 'Packet Data'. While looking at 'All Sent Data nnnMB' and 'All Received Data nnnMB', click on 'Options' and you'll see an option to 'Clear Counters'.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    You can track your data traffic volumes on the phone...
    This wouldn't have worked for me as I use the phone mostly on wifi and only connect to the network when away from the wifi connection. I can't see anywhere on the e52 that it breaks down the data count per connection type.

If I might add, Bill Pay Lite €10 gives you 50 mins, 50 texts and free meteor texts. For a fiver you get 250 mb. Or 10 GB for €15, which is handy for tethering.

Today I switched to this instead, thanks for the heads up! ;)

I'm going with the 250mb add-on for €5 for now, which can be monitored by sms (data balance to 50104) as Sam said or via mymeteor. When I run out of the 50 free non-meteor texts I'll use Cabbage to send texts via the data allowance. :p

I'm moving house in the next few weeks so if there's no internet there I'll change that to the "unlimited" (10GB) version and tether the phone to the PC.

Just copped that Cabbage is your program Sam - thanks again, works a treat on the e52! ;)

Advertisement