Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change the name of ''Soccer'' forum to Association Football

Options
  • 06-08-2010 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

Association football is the actually term for this sport and I believe it should be changed to that. Not many people in this country refer to the sport as soccer.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i've never heard it called that before. soccer or football would make more sense to me.

not sure what country you're from though?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Why not bring this up in the Soccer forum itself?

I think it would be more suited there, rather than here. Do you not agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is a thread ongoing about what people call the sport, Football appears to be winning the war over the term Soccer at the moment.

mike65 wrote: »
    There is a thread ongoing about what people call the sport, Football appears to be winning the war over the term Soccer at the moment.

Makes sense that it's there.

So, why the thread here? :)

Probably because the OP thinks the admins might interact with the prolls and then refuse to change it.

• Advertisement

Probably because the OP thinks the admins might interact with the prolls and then refuse to change it.

When you say prolls, I assume you mean polls?

Or is this yet another soccer Association Football term I am not familiar with? :o

It's not our call, it's the forum members and the mods call. Up to 20 minutes ago, I had never heard of Association Football, so it makes no difference to me.

If the regulars want the forum renamed to "Overpaid, prima-donna worship forum" well, then I can do that.

*runs for cover*

Prolls = proletariat

University educatshun wasted on Tom Dunne I fear! :pac:

Prolls = proletariat

Nice ninja edit there. You had me even more confused. :D

I studied IT, I don't need to know about these things.

Or soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Well I just thought if we were to change it to just ''football' there'd be uproar with the GAA fans. There is an ongoing thread in the forum as we speak but I thought I'd make the admins aware here.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Well I just thought if we were to change it to just ''football' there'd be uproar with the GAA fans. There is an ongoing thread in the forum as we speak but I thought I'd make the admins aware here.

Don't worry about the GAA fans. They will be fine. :D

Putting my admin hat back on, that shouldn't be a problem as to get to the forum it is Sports->Soccer->Football (or whatever). Unless somebody sees a problem with this that I am not aware of?

Whereas it's Sports->GAA. And even if they wanted a Football forum of their own, I don't see why it couldn't be Sports->GAA->Football.

So, decide amongst yourselves on the Soccer forum and come back to us with what you want. The mods can make the request in the mod forum if a name change is needed.

• Advertisement

So that would require a proper poll on the forum. Okay who's going to suggest it? (last time it got slapped down when some "crazy fool" decided to start such a thread!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

So that would require a proper poll on the forum. Okay who's going to suggest it? (last time it got slapped down when some "crazy fool" decided to start such a thread!).

Build a bridge Mike.;)

Wasn't me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Prolls = proletariat

Not quite; it's "proles".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    When you say prolls, I assume you mean polls?

Or is this yet another soccer Association Football term I am not familiar with? :o

It's not our call, it's the forum members and the mods call. Up to 20 minutes ago, I had never heard of Association Football, so it makes no difference to me.

If the regulars want the forum renamed to "Overpaid, prima-donna worship forum" well, then I can do that.

*runs for cover*
    The following is a satirical troll post.

Yeah. I bet you're a united supporter.
    The city and town supporters are far superior. Everyone knows that.
    Mind you, the Rovers supporters seem to be the only intelligent ones.

Glasgow Rangers are the only team any self respecting Irish man should support. Only scumbags support Seltic. Brits out and all that. Or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭last name ever. first name greatest

Terry wrote: »

Glasgow Rangers are the only team any self respecting Irish man should support. Only scumbags support Seltic. Brits out and all that. Or something to that effect.

LOL

Ah dear god that made me laugh a lot! :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The proletariat, Konrad. :pac:

I call it football all the time unless I'm distinguishing between real football and silage ball. I think the name of the forum is grand, but maybe that's just me.

Terry wrote: »

The following is a somewhat sarcastic, yet unequivocally satirical post. My current standing on Boards.ie prevents me from making a troll post.

That's a bit rich coming from a Hiller.
    I bet you are a Spurs supporter.

And a Celtic supporter too.

Worst ever combination.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are many types of football, what is discussed in that forum is Soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The following is a somewhat sarcastic, yet unequivocally satirical post. My current standing on Boards.ie prevents me from making a troll post.

That's a bit rich coming from a Hiller.
    I bet you are a Spurs supporter.

And a Celtic supporter too.

Worst ever combination.
    Yore dead, you mofo farend scum.
    In ghetto speak, ima hunt your ass down.

On topic, do many people really care?
    The fact that it is called the "Soccer" forum should satisfy all the pedants. It has not been called "association football" for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

:mad:

;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement