Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese rice wine? No, it's Sake for boards' sake...

• 06-08-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Anyway sorry about the silly title. I'm looking to pick up a bottle of sake somewhere, to taste. I'm in the Kildare area but would be willing to travel a little bit. Has anyone seen any anywhere? I can't say I have, to be honest. Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 spaceoddity

I have 2 bottles of sake here that an ex got for me from The Shakespeare at the top of O Connell St., opposite Fibber Magees. One is Hana Awaka, a sparkler at 7%, and the other is Bizen Omachi, still sake at 16.2%.
    Celtic Whiskey shop doesn't stock any, neither do O Briens, but Oddbins is showing one due back in stock mid-August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Asian markets in City Centre usually stock them. Sake and Korean Soju.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Got some in Kilkenny, in the Wine Centre, on a day trip. If I like it, at least I know where to get more! Thanks for the replies guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Watch out for the stuff in the Asian markets - while they stock it (wondering about the off license situation), you need to make sure you don't buy one of their cooking sakes. It would be like going into some shop in Tokyo and seeing a bottle of Chateau de Somewhere Posh beside a bottle of something which is really only fit for reducing down in some sort of dish on the cooker. They're both wines, but for totally different purposes.

I'm not saying the Asian markets don't sell good stuff - they do - you just need to know not to buy the really crap stuff. I've got stuff in the one in the basement underneath Georges Arcade and it was fine.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CFC1905_NK

Yeah I was about to say the Asian Market on the street parallel to Georges Street, around the corner from Road Records. Got a bottle there once, needed it for a recipe.

Love the thread title, by the way

• Advertisement
Advertisement