Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting wood flooring

Options
  • 06-08-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,
    I’m considering going into business as a wood floor fitter and wondered if anyone knows whether many/ any people buy flooring and then try and find a fitter or are all fitters contracted through flooring retailers?
    The idea was to develop a website and try and drum up business that way, but if everyone who buys flooring gets their fitter through the flooring retailer is there any point?
    How open are flooring retailers to taking on new fitters?
    Any info/advice appreciated , Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Hi ,
    All carpenters are or should be well qualified to fit floors and in this current climate there are plentey out there , are you a carpenter , speed and a good product is the only way you will make money , flooring is hard work , its priced on a square meterage bases and when fitting in the likes of hallways with many doorways it can be a challange to the best of carpenters to make all of the flooring lines to work out .
    All of the shops have recomended installers and they are very fast ,
    Installation rates go from 6euros to 15euro dependeing on the type of flooring ,
    Best of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'm not 100% sure but I'd doubth there'd be many retailers who'd have their own floor fitters to hand or would recommend a carpenter, for the same reason that I wouldnt like recommending people: if they do a crap job I dont want that person coming back to me and saying 'well you recommended them!!'. Maybe some of the big 'floor superstores' might, but local and mid sized hardware stores just sell the stuff. It'd be a bit of a liability on the behalf of the retailer for them to be recommending people. Kitchens are a different kettle, floors are sort of seen as a DIY job.

Are timber/laminate floors still popular? I havent been asked to do one in a long time, well over a year anyway and I used to do lots back during 2004/06, got fed up of the sight of the bloody things and trying to bust my ass making 'cheap' flooring that was bought off travellers look someway decent!! (I'm a fool I know!). I thought I heard recently that carpets were seeing a bit of a comeback? :confused:

Anyway, if you are going down that root and you are capable of fitting floors then its just a case of putting your name out there, getting a few jobs then hopefully you'll get some more via word of mouth. I find its the little things that make a job a success, like attention to detail, being neat and most importantly cleaning up good and proper after yourself, I've seen far too many dirty feckers who'd walk away after finishing a job leaving a mess behind!! You give the room you've worked in a good clean (sweep/vacuum) after you're done and it'll make the difference!! ;) )damn, I'm giving away my secrets now!! :p)

Advertisement