Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourne Sportive / Hilly 125

• 06-08-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Anybody going to county Down on Sunday to tackle the hills?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Heading that way alright. Only doing the the 125 though - just don't fancy chasing Joe Barr through the Mourne Mountains this weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

decrrrrrr wrote: »
    Heading that way alright. Only doing the the 125 though - just don't fancy chasing Joe Barr through the Mourne Mountains this weekend :)
    I think you would get one view of Joe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Pretty sure I'm doing this..still have time to sign up for the sportive before midnight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I had planned to but I have to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

Doing the sportive again this year, although in considerably less shape than last year, regretting it now but time will tell, don't think its gotten any easier though

Love this, I wont repeat what I said when I saw this last year!

MourneSportive2010.jpg

• Advertisement

I had planned to but I have to work.

Pete - don't suppose you have the actual directions of the 125 route from last year..?

decrrrrrr wrote: »
    Pete - don't suppose you have the actual directions of the 125 route from last year..?

http://www.dromaracc.co.uk/dloads/2008_maps.rar
    might be in this but i cant open it to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Just this. http://www.dromaracc.co.uk/sportive/Sportive2010/Sportive_Hilly_2010.htm

There were yellow arrows on the road at each turn last year. And always someone around to follow.

RO 06 wrote: »
    http://www.dromaracc.co.uk/dloads/2008_maps.rar
    might be in this but i cant open it to see

The .rar file contained all the routes from 2008.!

Uploaded the 125 which turns into 110 so this may be missing a few roads..

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dromara/979128119768533841

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Done the 125km yesterday, including a detour to replace a broken cleat which went on the first climb out of Dromara. Came out at the end of the day with 152km on the clock :eek:.

That is one tough route that I wouldn't want to be doing again in a hurry (well until next year :D)

Up, down, up down, up down all day long. Food stop was great. Loads of sandwiches, water, bananas, biscuits, doughnuts and I was at the tail end of things with my detour.

Beautiful weather too. I have a nice farmers tan :D

Route well marked with arrows well in advance of turns and at the turns themselves.

• Advertisement

Completed the 125km yesterday. One of the toughest days I had on a bike and the body is feeling it today. Loads of shprt, sharp hils combined to give a leg sapping 2300m of climbing in 118km

That is my 2nd event in Dromara this year and I can safely say there are no flat roads in that part of the world - the only thing it is missing is cobbles and it could be the Irish version of the Tour of Flanders..!!

21.4% grade at one point on "Corn Hill" (I think that's the name of the hill) but thankfully the road was dry. Loads of 13% to 17% grades as well.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/82330

Well organised route and congrats to Dromara CC

Thats the Cornmill.I brought 5 lads up from Dublin.Blanch Wheelies on tour.Six of us kitted out.They hadnt seen so many hills up and down and very little flat.
    I think the toughest was the Windy Gap. Now I know why I left Domara. Roads were in great condition.
    Great food and lots of it.Very well organised by Dromara CC.

Thats the Cornmill.I brought 5 lads up from Dublin.Blanch Wheelies on tour.Six of us kitted out.They hadnt seen so many hills up and down and very little flat.
    I think the toughest was the Windy Gap. Now I know why I left Domara. Roads were in great condition.
    Great food and lots of it.Very well organised by Dromara CC.

Were you all in red kit. I recall seeing that kit and I have notion that you were all stopped at the bottom of the hill out of Spa as I was coming back from detour for new cleats so was coming off a side road in the opposite direction from normal travel.

ktz84 wrote: »
    Were you all in red kit. I recall seeing that kit and I have notion that you were all stopped at the bottom of the hill out of Spa as I was coming back from detour for new cleats so was coming off a side road in the opposite direction from normal travel.
    That was us, One of the lads was fixing his cleats. I spoke to you as you were crossing the rd. where did you get cleats on a Sunday morning?

That was us, One of the lads was fixing his cleats. I spoke to you as you were crossing the rd. where did you get cleats on a Sunday morning?

I don't recall replying as I think I was too busy nosying to see what you were all at but couldn't work it out. Sorry if it appeared that I ignored you. At least they had the sense to bring a cleat.

I come from Drumaness so only down the road from Spa so meant I missed a small bit of the route however I done far more miles and more ascent than the route was for so don't feel too bad - needs must and all that :D

There's something about that event as I had a mechanical last year too which left me right off the back from near the start and on my own until the lunch stop. Never have any problems on any other events. It must be my bogey event :D

I was talking to a guy from Louth and he was saying it was the hardest event he had ever done so our hills certainly seem to challenge.

ktz84 wrote: »
    I don't recall replying as I think I was too busy nosying to see what you were all at but couldn't work it out. Sorry if it appeared that I ignored you. At least they had the sense to bring a cleat.

I come from Drumaness so only down the road from Spa so meant I missed a small bit of the route however I done far more miles and more ascent than the route was for so don't feel too bad - needs must and all that :D

There's something about that event as I had a mechanical last year too which left me right off the back from near the start and on my own until the lunch stop. Never have any problems on any other events. It must be my bogey event :D

I was talking to a guy from Louth and he was saying it was the hardest event he had ever done so our hills certainly seem to challenge.
    He was just adjusting the one on his shoe.We were last to start about 15mins after the group. Them Dubs cant seem to get organised then we were late arriving in Dromara.

He was just adjusting the one on his shoe.We were last to start about 15mins after the group. Them Dubs cant seem to get organised then we were late arriving in Dromara.

The hills will find out a dodgy cleat setup for sure. I can't say my own new cleat was setup best. I got a few twinges along the way but not enough to get me off.

As long as you got your burger then who cares :D

Advertisement