Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2010 intake

• 06-08-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Just thought i would start a new thread for members that might be starting there training this september.

I just checked my emails to find that i have a invitation to attend the Garda College on september the 3rd and 4th for phase 1 training.

If anyone else is going down for it comment and mabe we can organise something.

John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

well done jmc1546(John) and best of luck to everyone else aswell heading to Templemore in September :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 walkthisway

jmc1546 wrote: »
    Just thought i would start a new thread for members that might be starting there training this september.

I just checked my emails to find that i have a invitation to attend the Garda College on september the 3rd and 4th for phase 1 training.

John.
    ye heading down myself on the Thursday night. Im a bit confused do we have to stay the friday night aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

ye heading down myself on the Thursday night. Im a bit confused do we have to stay the friday night aswell?

Yes, phase 1 will take place on the Friday and Saturday inclusive with accommodation provided for on both nights

Just ring the college beforehand and reserve your room

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Do you have to ring and reserve a room??

I asked the same question in my reply to the email i got inviting me and they said that you can just arrive on the thursday before 12am and they will have all the names that should be arriving and they will set you up from there.

Im confused now too?

O ya congrats walkthisway. Its a long time comming but we got there in the end.Lol Should be good to get started.

Do you have to ring and reserve a room??

I asked the same question in my reply to the email i got inviting me and they said that you can just arrive on the thursday before 12am and they will have all the names that should be arriving and they will set you up from there.

Im confused now too?

O ya congrats walkthisway. Its a long time comming but we got there in the end.Lol Should be good to get started.

Ya, I'd ring if I were you. Arrive @ 12am the day before???
    That's punctuality to the extreme!! You do realise that the training will start on the Friday morning?
    If I were you, I'd ring the college, "reserve" (see what I did there!!:)) the room, and go down at your leisure

• Advertisement

Wel thats what they daid in the email that you can arrive anytime on thursday from 5pm to 12 midnight. After that you have to be there for 10am on the friday.

Ya i might just do that. Any number that i could ring?

Ps. I like what ya did there.Lol

Wel thats what they daid in the email that you can arrive anytime on thursday from 5pm to 12 midnight. After that you have to be there for 10am on the friday.

Ya i might just do that. Any number that i could ring?

Ps. I like what ya did there.Lol

Garda college 050435400

Arrive down about 9 or 10pm. There's a nice pub across the road called Pollys. Good for a few Stout! Don't go mad though, remember your time and effort to get this far.
    Above all, enjoy it. I found it great, you will make good friends and have a laugh along the way! Best of luck with it :)

Thanks for that.

Ya woundnt mind going down and meeting up with a few the night before.

Ya im excited now i cant wait to get started rely.

Thanks for all the advice. Its a great help.

Thanks for that.

Ya woundnt mind going down and meeting up with a few the night before.

Ya im excited now i cant wait to get started rely.

Thanks for all the advice. Its a great help.

Anytime!

That's the great thing about this forum, everyone is willing to help out.

Be sure to let us know how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Yeah get done in time for a pint in Pollys across the road!! Compulsory when you are there!
    Good luck to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

niceoneted wrote: »
    Yeah get done in time for a pint in Pollys across the road!! Compulsory when you are there!
    Good luck to you all.

...just remember to keep controversial opinions to yourself while your there.

shampon i will do. Weather and sport only as topics.Lol

I wounder if anyone can help. But a few months ago a member (Could of been one of the mods) put up a check list of thinks that you should bring with you to phase 1 training. At the time i saved it but my computer crashed and it was lost.

Have been searching for a few days for it but no luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

For everyone heading down, I found this post by Scouser that I think is worth a quick read on phase 1 and this thread on the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

shampon i will do. Weather and sport only as topics.Lol

I wounder if anyone can help. But a few months ago a member (Could of been one of the mods) put up a check list of thinks that you should bring with you to phase 1 training. At the time i saved it but my computer crashed and it was lost.

Have been searching for a few days for it but no luck.

I would say definitely, if possible, head down on the Thursday night. A few people in my group left it until the Friday morning to come down and got lost, stuck in traffic etc and were late, never looks good. The first morning is straight forward enough, mostly signing forms, getting orientated, meeting college staff etc. Pen and paper is necessary. Tracksuit (not shorts) and t-shirt for initial self police self defence training.

Re Polly's, would have to agree is great for bonding with your group over a few quiet pints. Would have to say in the strongest terms, do not go mad on the beer. Some of the younger members of our group hit a local nightclub and one had to leave the self defence training to be sick during it. The instructors will not allow anyone to continue with the training if they smell of alcohol the next morning. I stick to a 3-4 pint maximum with bed by 11.30 but thats not for everyone, common sense and knowledge of your tolerance is needed. The training staff have also been known to enjoy an odd drink in Polly's too so not in your best interests to get hammered in front of them!

Its a gentle enough introductory weekend and is very enjoyable, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Spartan09 wrote: »
    I would say definitely, if possible, head down on the Thursday night. A few people in my group left it until the Friday morning to come down and got lost, stuck in traffic etc and were late, never looks good. The first morning is straight forward enough, mostly signing forms, getting orientated, meeting college staff etc. Pen and paper is necessary. Tracksuit (not shorts) and t-shirt for initial self police self defence training.

Re Polly's, would have to agree is great for bonding with your group over a few quiet pints. Would have to say in the strongest terms, do not go mad on the beer. Some of the younger members of our group hit a local nightclub and one had to leave the self defence training to be sick during it. The instructors will not allow anyone to continue with the training if they smell of alcohol the next morning. I stick to a 3-4 pint maximum with bed by 11.30 but thats not for everyone, common sense and knowledge of your tolerance is needed. The training staff have also been known to enjoy an odd drink in Polly's too so not in your best interests to get hammered in front of them!

Its a gentle enough introductory weekend and is very enjoyable, best of luck with it.

This man has it spot on, if you go overboard as some have done, it will be a longer day for you...it's already long enough you dont want to make it any longer by being hungover to bits. Seen it happend all the time with my phase. Now I'm not saying that they were all raging alccoholics, but there was a few green faces during the PSD, while I was bright eyed and bushy tailed...:rolleyes:;)

Thanks for the advice guys. Think i will go down the thursday night just to be on the safe side.
    Pity there doesnt seem to be many fon here going down on this intake. Would of been good to organise a meet in polly's for a few.

Just cant wait to get started now.

shampon wrote: »
    ...just remember to keep controversial opinions to yourself while your there.

And your hands out of your pockets! :) (seriously!)

kensey wrote: »
    haha cant wait to get started on all of this now!they wont have us up for runs at 4 30 in the morning will they??:-D

haha cant wait to get started on all of this now!they wont have us up for runs at 4 30 in the morning will they??:-D

Nobody told you about that?? I'd suggest a decent pair of running shoes.
    Oh ya, and a good loud alarm clock!! :)

only a few more days now folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭starman08

kensey wrote: »
    Ha Ha yeah thats very true... and learn how to say vehicle properly

only a few more days now folks

Ya cant wait now. Im all ready and waiting.

You going down thursday night?

Ya cant wait now. Im all ready and waiting.

You going down thursday night?
    Ye I rang them yesterday we can head down on the Thursday night between 6 and 12 so Ill head down for about 9 id say. Maybe pop over to Pollys :-)

Ya i was thinking about going down around the same time.
    Is it just the two of us that are going that are on here?

Im definitely going to pollys anyway to see what all the hype is about. Lol

I have to echo that everyone who has completed phase 1 and say it was one of the best weekends I have had in the long time.

Got to meet some great like minded people and learn a lot in a very short period of time from introduction legislation, communication skills to how to protect yourself with self defence (Really good fun).
    Instructors were great and very helpful and answered any question you might have.

Cant wait to go back for phase 3 now.

John.

I have to echo that everyone who has completed phase 1 and say it was one of the best weekends I have had in the long time.

Got to meet some great like minded people and learn a lot in a very short period of time from introduction legislation, communication skills to how to protect yourself with self defence (Really good fun).
    Instructors were great and very helpful and answered any question you might have.

John.

Enjoy phase 2 also. I found it gives a great insight into how the whole system actually works.

Plus obviously it's very handy to know these things for phase 4

Best of luck with all the rest of it.

Good to hear phase 1 was enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

John.

Phase 4 is a million times better!

on phase 2 your training staff can help you with your station for phase 4.

HQ will try accomodate reserves with a station near to work/home (although not your home district)

my advice on picking your station is to pick somewhere BUSY not HANDY.

pick a rough enough area i.e. Finglas, Blanchardstown, Tallaght, Crumlin etc as opposed to Kill O the grange, Terenure etc. It will make your time as a GR more interesting and your time on phase 4 more beneficial.

It can be easy to pick a station based on a short commute, but adding that extra 20mins or few mile to get to a busier station will be well worth it in the long run.

Any questions you may have on any part of Garda Reserve training <Mod Snip...just ask in the threads, this is a discussion forum and it's going to be more or less the same for everyone>

Scouser

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HighTower88

Hi,

Hows everyone fixed for the Legal exam? Seems to be a lot in it to cover but the training sergeants say its pretty easy.
    Anybody get any official confirmation about phase 3? Is it still the weekend after next?

Wel im doing a few hours every evening now at this stage. Dont know if we should learn everything word for word but im trying to. We were told it would be handy enough too but if i aim high i can only fall so much.Lol

Notting offical about phase 3 but AFAIK its still taking place of the friday and sat the 5th and 6th of november.

Im going to ring today to say im going down the thursday night so if there is changes im guessing i will find out then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

John.

When did you sit your apptitude exam John?

Advertisement