Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless N router for UPC

Options
  • 06-08-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

as the topic says looking for router for UPC want to get the most out of the speed over wireless. just looking to see wat ppl have used and would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Before you jump on the N bandwagon a few things to consider...

They come in a few choices - 11n 2.4Ghz only, Dual band, or Simultaneous Dual Band. Basically 11n can work at 2.4Ghz (like normal wifi) or 5Ghz (like old 11a). Some routers only enable the 11n in 1 band, or allow you to select a band. Best will work in both bands at the same time (but there are gotchas)...
    Also to use 5Ghz - you need to make sure your devices are 5Ghz capable...

Your router will only work at the speed of the slowest connection.. e.g. if you still have a device that is 11g only your router (in the 2.4Ghz mode) will drop to match that speed. So to get the best of 11n - everything must be 11n.

Also to operate in 11n at 2.4Ghz the router has to have 2 channels which can be quite difficult in a busy environment. This can reduce your reception to sub 11g if your constantly being shoved between channels to get data.

Once you get over bands, etc.. Next item to consider is the number of channels supported. 11n is basically 150Mbps per stream with up to 3 stream. Hence you see roouters with 150/300/450 in their specs. The more you go the better, but you also need to consider the number of devices you will have connected, and the type of device. E.g. a single device may only be capable of a single stream, and hence have to share one of the 150Mbps streams..

As you can see - 11n isn't straight forward...
    I have moved to it - using a DGL-4500 router set in 5Ghz mode. Almost everything runs off that in the house bar 2 devices - which are served by a 2.4Ghz 11g Access Point.

Overall - IMHO to make the best use of 30Mbps+ UPC you really should consider wired.
    It sounds like a backward step, but is seriously the only reliable method of sharing such bandwidth between devices..

What I've done is for those devices that would make use of the 30Mbps I've got them attached to a Gigabit Switch. To get the data to them I've use Devolo's Ethernet over Powerline adaptors to take the ethernet from the rotuer to the switch. Maplin are doing these for €120 for the pair at the moment. These are rated as 200Mbps, and basically allow a full duplex 100Mbps link. Should be good until UPC go over the 150Mbps rates :)
    At which time I'll rethink it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 steve010

tazzzZ wrote: »
    as the topic says looking for router for UPC want to get the most out of the speed over wireless. just looking to see wat ppl have used and would recommend?

Hi,
    Using WNDR3700. It's excellent once you have the N adapter for your laptop and you upgrade the firmware. I was almost getting the full 30mb when I tested it the other day in the next room. So v happy!

Currently trialling 120mb for UPC but only tried the wired speeds so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

how did u get to test that bb???

• Registered Users Posts: 15 steve010

tazzzZ wrote: »
    how did u get to test that bb???

write to UPC and say you're interested. you might get lucky as well :D

Advertisement