Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buyin in england

• 06-08-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Im going about buying a new car on pistonheads, its a trade vehicle (not private). Just wondering does the mot stand as a nct or would i need to nct it when i bring it over the water?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The MOT doesn't mean squat over here unfortunately. I wouldn't take and MOT as any sort of guide that the car would sail through an NCT either, I bought a car a couple of years ago(for parts) from the North that had 12 months MOT and there's no way it would have gone through an MOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Onkle wrote: »
    The MOT doesn't mean squat over here unfortunately. I wouldn't take and MOT as any sort of guide that the car would sail through an NCT either, I bought a car a couple of years ago(for parts) from the North that had 12 months MOT and there's no way it would have gone through an MOT

I presume you mean it wouldn't have passed an NCT? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

sorry yeah :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

boxermad wrote: »
    Im going about buying a new car on pistonheads, its a trade vehicle (not private). Just wondering does the mot stand as a nct or would i need to nct it when i bring it over the water?

you'll need to re-register it here and put it through the NCT if it's a car or DOE if commercial... MOT's can be ok to indicate it's not about to keel over... but the standard varies, you can buy a car with full test that would have no hope of passing the NCT straight off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 drifting

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    you'll need to re-register it here and put it through the NCT if it's a car or DOE if commercial... MOT's can be ok to indicate it's not about to keel over... but the standard varies, you can buy a car with full test that would have no hope of passing the NCT straight off
    Why's that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

drifting wrote: »
    Why's that?

Why's what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

drifting wrote: »
    Why's that?

If you mean why do the standards vary, it's because you can get an MOT done in lots of garages in the UK, over here you've to go to dedicated NCT centres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

As above, the MOT is not as stringent as our NCT, they also use salt on their roads more over there, so look out for rust on sills, wheel arches etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

If you mean why do the standards vary, it's because you can get an MOT done in lots of garages in the UK, over here you've to go to dedicated NCT centres

exactly, and while the nct centres can vary little a bit here, at least they're all the one company, in the UK you can get some real dodgy operators who pass stuff that really has no right to, there's far more variation between test cantres.

Advertisement