Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAN EIRCOM INTERFERE WITH VF BROADBAND?

• 06-08-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

I have a 7mb package and line synchs at 7616 but eircom's prequal test says line is only capable of 4096 and yesterday at 9.43am my line was disconnected at 6976 and immediately reconneccted at 4096. I emailed VF and was told Eircom will on occasions test lines and as mine has a prequal of 4096 it will be reset automatically to that. VF then have to request Eircom to reset line to max speed and it can take 24 hours! Its now 20.30pm TONIGHT and line has not been reset.

What I cant figure is I have line and BB with VF but Eircom can still mess with line?? I would expect a flag to be put on each line to show if it was VF or Eircoms.

I get over 6mb regularly and now its back to 3.5 or so and upload has decreased from 684 to 384.

Can Eircom scupper me like this for evermore?

gbcullen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom own the line, and supply the broadband, Vodafone just re-sell it. eircom are the ones responsible for setting everything, and if they believe the line is not capable of the desired speed, they'll drop it back. Unfortunately, in order to avoid potential problems with disconnections, they drop the speed to quite a bit under what it is actually capable of. They don't like to run them at the edge, as it leads to them having to do some work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

thanks for reply, its hard to stomach, line runs perfect, it will sync at 7336 or higher say and with the netgear it will stay connected even if sync goes to 6636 or lower. I get no disconnections and speeds stay around 6mb and pings less than 50. All I do in the am, if I notice is reboot router to get above 7 sync. If it was disconnecting I would get it changed. I think they are migrating people and it was some kind of an auto reset.

Would my line be causing them some problems unbeknown to me??

I hope they put it back up as it was perfect. Its all new wiring as well.

I was keeping loads of records of the speeds in case they cut me back but as it was so good I stopped as I thought I had cracked it. Its galling paying for up to 7mb getting 6.5mb and then have it cut back to 3.5mb. I am waiting to see what NGB will be like with line at max.

Would I gain anything by asking for line to sync a bit lower ie below 7? I will get comreg involved again if needs be.

gbcullen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You've nothing to lose by asking anyway. Once it's syncing at any particular speed, eircom shouldn't really interfere, but in your case they have. Try get Vodafone to find out why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I did not realise that eircom could automatically reprofile a line based on a retest. I did know that profiles could be set thru some customer gateway or other up to your package max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Neither did I until now. If I was VF I would be really .....ed because a customer is getting hassle from another party that I cant control. I have asked to be put back on higher profile and will remind VF on Monday. When Eircom enabled the exchange same thing happened but on that occasion I was put back within minutes. This time I think eircom are migrating customers to NGB and a reset was done as well for some reason. I want to be on best possible speed when NGB kicks in with VF.

gbc--

• Advertisement
Advertisement