Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sig Size

Options
  • 06-08-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

In the past three days I've had my sig removed twice.

The first time I had a PSN gamertag and one line of text, I assumed the line of text was too much so took it out and put the PSN gamertag back in.

Come home tonight and it's gone again. Now I know the image is slightly over the allowed width, here it is:

Cill-.png

But can I ask why twice in the past two days I've had mine clipped considering when you go on the PS3 forum nearly every single person has one of these sigs and none of them have action taken against them?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hello! If a sig gets reported it gets actioned, I guess nobody reports sigs in the PS3 forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm fairly sure I know who it is doing the reporting, and I'm fairly sure the reason they're doing it is because I had to ban them recently.

I understand the sig laws are there for a reason but it's an auto-updating sig, they don't come any smaller so it's not a simple case of resizing it, it's stuck at 550x125.

I'm not gonna be a sad case sigpo rat and start reporting sigs in the PS3 forum but is there no leeway for allowing it considering I can't resize it?

Sorry dude, it's way over the limit, 50 pixels too wide and over twice the allowed filesize. I honestly don't think there's any malice in this being reported, it has been reported by more than one person. The fact that you post on a variety of fora is probably the reason that yours was seen over others that may only post on a select number of fora.

Incidentally, I remove loads of those gamercard signatures, the fact that you think other people don't get theirs removed could just be down to the fact that you see people with them. You don't, obviously, see people that don't have them anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have to question why these gamercard providers dont make them smaller and less obnoxious...

No friz, it weren't me

Overheal wrote: »
    I have to question why these gamercard providers dont make them smaller and less obnoxious...

No friz, it weren't me

True, it could do with being smaller alright. I'd imagine because there is very few forums out there with signature rules as stringent and well policed as boards.

And any that do have people who use these tags, the vast majority on the forum probably uses them so it's not a problem. There is other ones you can get but there not the official PSN ones and they're not all auto-updating and a lot of them, while smaller, are absolute eyesores.

• Advertisement

Btw, your new sig is still too big..

Cill.png

I'm aware.

There's no gamercards within the limits on this site so I'm trawling through different sites trying to find one, this is the smallest I've found so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I don't know the exact sig size or how much over either of those are (dimension or size).
    But they don't look too big really.

I'm not a big gamer anymore, but gamer tags look ok. Well, these two do anyway.

Can exceptions be made to the rule? This site was founded over the love of a game after all.

If I remember correctly, Flickr sigs were too big in the past and were still allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

In before a SOTS re-reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Is there any chance the sig sizes might be up for review in the future? Given more and more people are using broadband now could'nt a small increase in the sig limits be considered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Is there any chance the sig sizes might be up for review in the future? Given more and more people are using broadband now could'nt a small increase in the sig limits be considered?

Just recently reviewed and updated.

[Decision] Sig rules. - boards.ie

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What are those gamer tags about anyway? What do they do exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

El Weirdo wrote: »
    In before a SOTS re-reg.
    implied-facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

You can reseize your Xbox Gamercards at MyGamerCard, not sure if there is an equivilent site for PS.

Have you tried either of these:

http://www.playfire.com/a/create_widget

http://ps3trophycard.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

What are those gamer tags about anyway? What do they do exactly?
    They're a way of letting others know what trophies or accomplishments you've earned on PS3 or Xbox games. They don't really 'do' anything - it's all about bragging rights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

The size of the sig all depends on the game you want on it.
    For instance, FIFA for me, happens to be quite a small widget/sig, however, the fact I play the game f*ck all adds the fact there isn't many trophies collected by me.

besides that, the avatar you use could have a lot to do with it.

Hope it helped,
    Dooce.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Doocey21.png

The above sig is still overweight at 52.29kB

Current rules regarding images are
    Images totalling up to 500 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 30k in size. No animated images are allowed.

There used to be a way to check if the sig was ok, in the sigpo thread, but that thread is gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

biko wrote: »

There used to be a way to check if the sig was ok, in the sigpo thread, but that thread is gone now.

You could just start a thread in Signatures and ask the lads. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to let you know if it's acceptable or not

biko wrote: »
    The above sig is still overweight at 52.29kB

That's not the OP, that's a user that came on the thread to try and help the OP reduce the length of his sig.

There is no way for those users to adjust the kb of their sigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The problem here is that most people who would have gamertags are no doubt heavy web users with good web connections.

So a 50kB or even 100kB image is nothing to them. Stick on 40 posts per page, and suddenly 40 gamertags becomes a 4MB web page. Still nothing to someone on a 20Mb connection, but anyone running 2Mb DSL or some form of wireless BB will see their surfing speeds crawl.

Unfortunately most of the rest of the people on this site would not be hardcore gamers, so we have to apply a sitewide restriction in order to maintain some degree of usability for those of us out of range of hulking connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Telling other users to switch off sigs isn't the answer either (in case someone is thinking of that solution). This site cater to everyone and the gamers can probably find tags that suits the current rules.
    Btw, 30KB used to be 20KB but was adjusted to allow heavier sigs, admins has also increased the width from 300 to 500 pixels to be more accommodating.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is there any reason why sigs with just a line of text still take up the same screenspace as sigs with massive images?

seamus wrote: »
    So a 50kB or even 100kB image is nothing to them. Stick on 40 posts per page, and suddenly 40 gamertags becomes a 4MB web page. Still nothing to someone on a 20Mb connection, but anyone running 2Mb DSL or some form of wireless BB will see their surfing speeds crawl.

I certainly see where your coming from. But I have 3MB wireless BB and 40 posts a page and spend a lot of time in the Gaming forum where lots of people have these sigs and have to say I don't notice any discernible drop off in loading rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is there any reason why sigs with just a line of text still take up the same screenspace as sigs with massive images?

Are you talking about the post allowing for all this

<
    seamus wrote: »
    The problem here is that most people who would have gamertags are no doubt heavy web users with good web connections.

Unfortunately most of the rest of the people on this site would not be hardcore gamers, so we have to apply a sitewide restriction in order to maintain some degree of usability for those of us out of range of hulking connections.

It is unlikely that

A) everyone is at at the max limit
    B) That everyone is unique(there is bound to be repeat posters)

A decent browser will cache images meaning its not a 4mb page each time. Also 20 ppp is the default i believe, so going to 40 is a choice.

There is also alot of rules relating to size of the file but nothing about the speed it loads, a 10kb image on a really slow web server might take longer than a 100kb one a fast server.

I have no particualr desire for larger allowance, as you can see I have no image, but I'm just trying to look at it from both sides

RopeDrink wrote: »
    you may be able to have your own Sig made within the limits AND say everything you want it to say about you, however hard that may be to accomplish.

tbh no you can't. PSN/Playfire sigs etc draw straight from the PSN database so it's a case of needing to get one of the official ones to update for you.

I've no problem with the current sig limitations really, I just think that maybe a slight concession could be made for those who use gamertags considering there is not one site out there on the internet that are within 500x125 and 30kb or less.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    And why Gamertags but not other similar ones? I'm pretty sure the above mentioned tags aren't the only signiature stamps that people would love to tack on beneath their posts.

Even if there wasn't, people would still ask why X Gamertag which is Y over the limit is allowed but people with their own images are not.

Because a monkey is able to resize an image to put it in a sig. The gamertags are auto-updating so it's not just a simple case of resizing them.

Is there no code that can be written or drawn up that with automatically reduces sigs to either 500pix wide or 125 pix high, depending on their dimensions?

I'm no computer programmer (although I did write out over ten pages of HTML? in 1987 on a Commodore 64 that resulted in a man walking across a screen holding a balloon) but it would seem to me to be not that massive of a deal for something like that to be put in place.

Avatars are auto sized for instance.

Advertisement