Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless: Renew IP Address

Options
  • 06-08-2010 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

Rather than just hijack someone else's thread, I thought I'd get more replies if I start my own...

I'm trying to connect my laptop to the family computer via a Vodafone wireless modem. My screen shot would show the same proplem as this fellas

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055976420

except it says 'limited or no connectivity' at the top right instead of 'not connected.' But essentially, I'm connected but not connected.... it's v confusing.

Anyway, when I right click and repair the connection, it goes through the steps, then throws up this error message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
    Renewing your IP address

Anyone got any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's not obtaining an IP via DHCP. It could be for one of many reasons. Make sure your wireless network key is correct. If you're network key is correct, then go to your control panel - right click on your wireless card, go to properties - highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP, click properties - make sure that Obtain an IP address automatically is selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

No idea how to find any of that :o

Can't for the life of me find my wireless card to right click....

No idea how to find any of that :o

Can't for the life of me find my wireless card to right click....

What operating system are you using? (I'm assuming windows by the error)

If it's XP

Click Start --> Control Panel --> (Look for Network Connections) --> Go in there and look for Wireless Network Connection

Let me know if you find it.

Thanks a million, I found it, but Obtain IP address automatically is indeed ticked...

Ok then - it's probably just the wrong network key. Right click on Wireless Network Connection, go to View Available Wireless Networks. Highlight your one, click disconnect. Press connect again and it should ask for the key, make sure you enter it in correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

turn off mac agee or snorton the firewall is probably blocking you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

Install Linux instead :D

My network key is definatley ok....

Just had my brother try to connect with his iphone and he's having issues he never normally does, so I'm not sure the problem is with my laptop...

What router model/make is it? I'm assuming you've tried powering it off and on again? Sometimes the DHCP server on mine fecks up and it needs a restart before it will assign addresses to my systems.

Disable encryption for 2 minutes in the router's config page and see if it connects without it enabled. Let me know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

try a restart or go over the router settings, if all fails set up an IP for the laptop itself to connect that way

maybe just disable the DHCP server save it then reinable it... if its happening on 2 devices, most likely the router settings

• Advertisement
Advertisement