Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beetroot

Options
  • 06-08-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all,

I been given bag of beetroot. I love the stuff but not sure how to cook it. I dont wanna just throw it in vinegar. I would like to make a relish with it, I bought some home made relish at a Market once and I loved it.

What do I do?? Please and thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Wash and scrub them, dry, roast at 200c for 30-45 mins until there's just a bit of resistance when pierced. Cool, peel, cut into fine dice.

Sweat finely diced red onion in oil until soft. Add brown sugar, orange juice, red wine and some vinegar, and a piece or two of star anis. It should taste sweet & sour and a little aniseedy. Add the diced beetroot and cook until the mixture thickens and the sauce reduces. Season, and add some orange or lemon zest to finish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Here's a recipe I use to make chutney with my home grown beetroot. It's really nice - though someone posted a recipe for a spicier version the other day if you'd prefer that.

3 Ibs Beetroot
    1 Large Onion
    1 Large Cooking Apple
    12ozs Sugar
    2tspns Ginger
    Level tspn Salt
    1 Pint Vinegar
    Method:
    Cook Beetroot and dice into small pieces
    Peel and dice onions
    Peel and dice Apple
    Put into large pan and add sugar, salt, ginger and vinegar.
    Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, until ingredients are soft..
    If it doesn't thicken enough, you can mix a small amount of cornflour with cold water and stir it in to thicken it
    Fill jars and label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's also very nice just boiled, peeled and served plain - delicious sweet earthy taste. Mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

thanks all, yup love it plain too but been given loads so need to preserve some of it, love both recipes might try both of them. ;)
    how long roughly do you boil it for, been told you cant prod it to test so how do i check it cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

alanajane wrote: »
    thanks all, yup love it plain too but been given loads so need to preserve some of it, love both recipes might try both of them. ;)
    how long roughly do you boil it for, been told you cant prod it to test so how do i check it cooked.

Actually I tend to steam 'em like spuds, and for about the same length of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement