Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old dog with stiffness, arthritic, pains aches

Options
  • 06-08-2010 10:46pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

My dog has achy stiff joints when she gets up after lying down and I just I suppose getting old.. In the last year her mobility has gone downhill. Anyone use supplements/other that they have found helpful to improve joints, stiffness etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There's lots of supplements and stuff you can get, Glucosamine?(not sure of spelling) is one, you could try adding some fish oil or changing the food to one specifically for older dogs.
    Can you tell us more?
    What does your dog sleep on? This can make a difference.
    Is it a big or small dog? Age and breed?
    This will help people give advice, the more info the better.
    Hope someone can give you better advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

A guy I worked with has a lab. She's pushing on in years & found it a bit tough getting around.
    He brought her to the vet & got arthritis tablets for her, didn't work so thy tried a different brand, still didn't work.
    Anyway in the end he gets them from the chemist. Ones that are used for humans are suiting her down to the ground.
    I'm not saying that this is what you should do but it certainly worked for his dog, with no complications. He also started bringing her to the river to have a swim & I think this has contributed to her extra mobility.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Sorry didnt think to add more info... Shes a Shetland Collie, twelve years old, she get fed mix of burns (brown rice and chicken for sensitive skin)and leftovers, liver, chicken, odd marrow bones.

At night she sleeps on a mat in a shed nice cosy, day is different though she lies on grass, concrete, and has a kennel she uses if it raining fairly heavy.

Have tried putting a mat out on grass, she lies beside it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Make sure the area she sleeps in at night isn't drafty, if needed raise the bed a couple of inches off the ground. Maybe make her bed a little softer.
    12 for a sheltie isn't too old, they're quite tough little dogs. My friend has a 16year old thats blind and starting to get stiff, but I would never have guessed her age if I hadn't been told.
    Glucosamine(hope thats right) is supposed to be good, haven't had to use it myself, and it can be bought online and added to food. Hopefully someone with experience of this can advise more, I know there are more things but can't think at this time of night.
    If you're worried about it ask your vet next time you're in. There's meds you can get, but I'd try the supplements first.

Here's an old thread you might find some info in:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795474&highlight=arthritis+dogs

Try searching for "arthritis in dogs" in the search options, for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

You could try Pedigree Joint Care, which you can buy in Tesco and, I think, Dunnes. They're chewy sticks and you give the dog one a day. I've found them very good for my rather athritic 11 year old lab/collie cross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I found ArthiAid really good for dogs with stiffness/arthritis etc. Comes in tablet and liquid form. There is also SeniorAid, I haven't tried it but have heard it's also brilliant. Vets stock it, or it can be bought online (www.medicanimal.com). Really recommend it.

Also, bedding is really important for older, stiff dogs. There are orthopedic beds available in quite a few pet stores around Dublin (and I'm sure there are some in bigger shops around the country). They feel very firm but really do help with aching joints. Keeping the dogs bed away from cold - cold floors, drafts (as mymo already said) and generally keeping the area warm - helps quite a bit with soreness. Heat pads can help with this too. Keeping the dogs dry after a walk or just in wet weather really helps also because they get very stiff if they are left damp for any period of time.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

artieanna wrote: »
    At night she sleeps on a mat in a shed nice cosy, day is different though she lies on grass, concrete, and has a kennel she uses if it raining fairly heavy.

The single best thing you can do for an older dog, even if you do nothing else is buy her a good quality orthapaedic dog bed at least for night time, and preferably a second one for her kennel, but see how you get on with one first. I dont see how lying on a mat could be any more comfortable than just lying on the grass, either lying on a mat or on the grass is going to put a lot of stress on her joints and possibly give her sores as she's going to spend most of her time lying down from here on in.

thanks so much for all the advice....

I am reluctant to put a manmade bed under her, I have seen all sorts for sale and imo they are much too warm for a dog that is outside 99% of the time. She has a very good coat and as she is outside I don't overgroom her. I really think alot of the beds on sale for dogs are not suitable, after sleeping on them the dog would freeze outside, also she has sensitive skin.

I'm relieved to hear that twelve is not old for a shettie.

My vet has examined her thoroughly and said her joints are not bad, its just awful to see her after she gets up, shes like an old woman:(...

Will look into some of those supplements..As for the human pills I would be v reluctant (could cause bad side effects especially in the liver). She hates swimming and water but I think the dampness of our weather has alot to do with the cause of her stiffness..

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

Sorry didnt think to add more info... Shes a Shetland Collie, twelve years old, she get fed mix of burns (brown rice and chicken for sensitive skin)and leftovers, liver, chicken, odd marrow bones.

get more oil into her diet, cod liver oil or mackeril etc...will help but at 12 yrs of age its could be just age thats catching up and no amount of suppliments will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Not sure where you'd get it in Ireland (shouldn't be too hard to find) but this stuff is great http://www.ratwarehouse.co.uk/shop_detail.php?item=362&cat=11 - I give it to elderly rats all the time now when they start showing their age
    Havn't used it for dogs myself, but it is designed for dogs & cats.
    Fish oil is meant to be a good supplement for joints and such too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Flexicose is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I give my arthritic terrier a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. I get it here. It certainly has improved my dog's mobility.

I also have heard that green lipped mussel extract is great for arthritis. This site sells it.

thanks so much for all the advice....

I am reluctant to put a manmade bed under her, I have seen all sorts for sale and imo they are much too warm for a dog that is outside 99% of the time. She has a very good coat and as she is outside I don't overgroom her. I really think alot of the beds on sale for dogs are not suitable, after sleeping on them the dog would freeze outside, also she has sensitive skin.

:confused::confused: I really don't understand your logic here at all I'm afraid. We're not talking about all-sorts of beds. My dog is 14 years old and is outside 100% of the time. An orthapaedic dog bed (at least the 1 I have) is basically a piece of memory foam with a cover on it that moulds to his shape and basically just eases the stiffness on his joints and prevents sores from lying down so much. It doesn't provide central heating!

It looks something like this :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/MEMORY-FOAM-WATERPROOF-DOG-BED-MATTRESS-LARGE-5cm-THICK-/220549788474?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item3359cab33a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

This site has some natural treats that are designed for joint and mobility, they contain glucosamine, chondroitin & MSM help to promote joint health & mobility. http://www.wuffdog.com/page4.htm
    They could help your dog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

I would second the orthopedic bed - She shouldnt get too warm but it will support her joints and cushion them and in general just make her more comfortable.

I would recommend cod liver oil for her. If you are near a large agriculture shop they usually sell 5 litres of it for 15-20euro. Just put 2-3 tablespoons in her dog food once a day and it should help a bit.

I would also recommend glucosamine and chondroitin. Glucosamine has been used in humans and slows down the rate of cartilage degeneration and promotes growth and repair. Chondroitin is a major molecule in cartilage and by feeding you are providing the building blocks for new strong cartilage to be formed.

I would either buy glucosamine and chondroitin off your vet or go to a pharmacy and they should be able to buy a batch in bulk that will last you a while. Its not too expensive as far as I know. You can also buy it in some agri and pet shops for dogs but I would avoid this as they do tend to not put enough of the product in but bulk it up with other stuff to make you think your feeding enough to help your dog.

I hope this helps in some way - I know it may seem like lots of things to buy and put into her feed but I do believe prevention is better then a cure and you may aswell start treating her before she gets bad and its too late and shes on a whole heap of medicines. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Juliet

I have a young collie cross who has bad hip dysplasia and I get him a course of Cartrophen injections every few months- lso a little hydrotherapy. The injections are miraculous as they lubricate the joints and also contain an anti inflammatory whih makes the dog a lot more comfortable. The hydro also enables gentle movement without putting pressure on the joints. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I deffo recommend better bedding. This is crucial for a dog with stiffness/joint problems as it can have a huge impact on their joints if its not supporting them.

So i would highly advise you get better bedding for your dog.
    Better bedding would not be too warm for your dog and anyway, heat would be an advantage to stiff and sore joints, not a disadvantage so thinking its too warm is actually the wrong idea to be thinking.

Keeping the dog warm and comfortable should be a priority with your dog so i would def look into getting a better bed for her.

:confused::confused: I really don't understand your logic here at all I'm afraid. We're not talking about all-sorts of beds. My dog is 14 years old and is outside 100% of the time. An orthapaedic dog bed (at least the 1 I have) is basically a piece of memory foam with a cover on it that moulds to his shape and basically just eases the stiffness on his joints and prevents sores from lying down so much. It doesn't provide central heating!

It looks something like this :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/MEMORY-FOAM-WATERPROOF-DOG-BED-MATTRESS-LARGE-5cm-THICK-/220549788474?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item3359cab33a

That sounds good,
    Its just alot of the beds I have seen are really fleecy and woolly and and are really too warm for a dog thats accustomed to living outside. when they get up they would feel the cold.

That sounds good,
    Its just alot of the beds I have seen are really fleecy and woolly and and are really too warm for a dog thats accustomed to living outside. when they get up they would feel the cold.

It really would make a huge difference, it's just a bit of extra support really, slow down the process a bit as the dog gets older, make life a bit easier for her. A big soft bed which I think is what you were imagining wouldn't really give a lot of support, this one is waterproof as well so no problem leaving it out on the lawn for her during the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I've used cortiflex for horses before and have seen a definate improvement and I know they make it for dogs as well so might be worth a look into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Collie here has this kind of problem and refuses to use any bed or bedding; I have read that they prefer to lie on a hard and cold floor when their joints are inflamed?

She had one bad episode of dysplasia two years ago; the cod liver oil and glucosamine from LIDL did wonders; money is an issue here.

She is starting to go that way again so back to the tabs. ( will join her as a bad flare of RhA myself...;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

ashlingm wrote: »
    I would second the orthopedic bed - She shouldnt get too warm but it will support her joints and cushion them and in general just make her more comfortable.

I would recommend cod liver oil for her. If you are near a large agriculture shop they usually sell 5 litres of it for 15-20euro. Just put 2-3 tablespoons in her dog food once a day and it should help a bit.

I would also recommend glucosamine and chondroitin. Glucosamine has been used in humans and slows down the rate of cartilage degeneration and promotes growth and repair. Chondroitin is a major molecule in cartilage and by feeding you are providing the building blocks for new strong cartilage to be formed.

I would either buy glucosamine and chondroitin off your vet or go to a pharmacy and they should be able to buy a batch in bulk that will last you a while. Its not too expensive as far as I know. You can also buy it in some agri and pet shops for dogs but I would avoid this as they do tend to not put enough of the product in but bulk it up with other stuff to make you think your feeding enough to help your dog.

I hope this helps in some way - I know it may seem like lots of things to buy and put into her feed but I do believe prevention is better then a cure and you may aswell start treating her before she gets bad and its too late and shes on a whole heap of medicines. :)

Good post! Only thing is 2-3 tablespoons is WAY too much cod liver oil - the max they need is a teaspoon, or 1000mg, if you get it in capsule form. Some vets even say to give it every second day, rather than daily. It's full of fat-soluble vitamins A and D - if you give too much it will over-tax the liver and can even have a deleterious effect on the joints, so you have to be careful. It also thins the blood so let your vet know if your dog is on it as it may interact with other medicines/supplements. If your dog is scheduled for surgery you'd need to stop the CLO about a week before. I swear by the stuff for my two but I'm very careful with the dosage.

Thanks for all the help...

So far.... My girl has got two new beds one for the kennel and one for her bedroom :D(barn) I have to wrap a mat around it cos she always digs the ground to make her nest before lying down, she'll have it wrecked in no time its a dog thing I suppose:rolleyes:.

as regards supplements I'm thinking about the cod liver oil and the glucosamine, I need to read a bit more about the glucosamine first before I decide......

Advertisement