Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with Beagle

Options
  • 06-08-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi
    I am wondering about the different types of Beagle and what the differences are . I would want one with a big head with short legs , what type would this be ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

Ah!! thats a 'typeyoulike' beagle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bumble1

someone else said maybe a north country beagle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A beagle is the breed, not sure about other types, I think a foot beagle is the shorter stockier type, bred for hunting.
    Google Foot Beagle and see if thats what you're thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bumble1

foot beagles seem to be the most popular at the moment , i guess the best thing to do is look at the parents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yeah I think you mean a foot beagle, they are a strain developed for hunting to follow foxes into cover, they were just developed by breeding the smallest animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

go for a beagle from ikc show stock they'll have the look you want and will settle better as pets. beagles from working stock are basiclly small foxhounds and need lots of stimulation/hunting and can be deaf when on a scent,no road sense when on scent and can be little destructive in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

go for a beagle from ikc show stock they'll have the look you want and will settle better as pets. beagles from working stock are basiclly small foxhounds and need lots of stimulation/hunting and can be deaf when on a scent,no road sense when on scent and can be little destructive in the garden.

I totally agree with the above

The types you have are

IKC Show Beagle - These are definitely a lot calmer then the regular hunting type although still quite capable of following a scent. Very attractive and gentle dog.

Foot Beagle- A small hunting strain of beagle, just like a small foxhound and best avoided as a pet as have very strong hunting instincts and they have a lot of variation in type/appearance

IKC Kerry Beagle - a much larger beagle, more like a foxhound really and have a very strong hunting instinct and best not kept as pets unless they have lots and lots of exercise.

Go to one of the IKC shows and you will get talking to reputable breeders and get to meet lots of beagles.

the kerry beagle's not a beagle as such but a harrier type hound, a black n tan, like the scarteen harriers. but either way they're a hunting hound not pets.
    go for an ikc show bred beagle.

the kerry beagle's not a beagle as such but a harrier type hound, a black n tan, like the scarteen harriers. but either way they're a hunting hound not pets.
    go for an ikc show bred beagle.

That is right but I have seen people buy them as pet beagles and it didnt work out too well. For a couple of years they were actully popular in the show ring, I havent seen any being shown lately.

thank god they're not shown any more..too many breeds been ruined by the show ring and its addictive rossettes:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

I think it was the late 90's when I seen them and they became very popular for a while but people had all sorts of trouble with them when they kept them as pets and they had no job for them to do. They were actully a lovely looking dog with no exagerations that is often seen in some of the hound breeds today

hounds are for the hills,fields,bogs and woods not the show ring...

hounds:D

Advertisement