Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double parking

Options
  • 06-08-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any thoughts on the ridiculous parking going on in town lately? Don't mean to be a stick-in-the-mud but it's getting beyond a joke. People are just abandoning cars all over the place. I watched a bus trying to get down Stephen St. today - there were about five cars just stopped in the road completely blocking his way and the bus ended up blocking traffic for a good ten minutes. And this is just one example. Worst streets in my opinion are Holborn st, Stephen st and Wine st.
    I'd love to do something about this, but I don't think a complaint to the guards or traffic wardens would help as neither seem to be around at the busiest traffic times.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Meh, it's always been like that in fairness. People are idiots and until they get a ticket everytime they double park, they ain't gonna change >_<

Also, people are LAZY. I always park in the Glasshouse - I have NEVER seen it full either. There are 3 levels and you're guaranteed a space on the bottom level at pretty much any time of the day. Step out of the hotel and you're at the top of O'Connell St, 1 euro parking an hour, free if you're 20mins or less and yet thats all still too much effort for people. Gah, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

am actully amazed at the amount of disabled drivers and people loading and unloading at all times of day on o'connell street

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

While we are on the subject of parking...

Taxi drivers: Loading bays are not a taxi rank, neither are double yellow lines.

Don't know why they are not moved on.

When they park along Bridge street at night it is dangerous as you can't see drunken fools about to cross the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I remember a couple of years ago a phone number was published in the Champion that you could text to report illegal parking - I have it saved in my phone as 087-7850566. I'm really not sure if that number is still in operation though, maybe someone else might know?

Alternatively you can always ring the Borough Council at 071-9114400. I happen to know for a fact that any reports of illegal parking (e.g. double parking or parking in disabled spaces without a permit) are immediately passed on to the traffic wardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its always been the same. Loading bays - I don't think anyone in Sligo actually know what they mean. any time of the day, 9/10 times there are cars parked in them and vans can't get in to unload / load. This town is a joke for traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I have to disagree,the worst is Market Street. The bus gets blocked there very often,one day a car was double parked and it was blocked for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'd love to print out little flyers and keep them in my bag so when I spot a stupidly parked car (with its hazard lights on?!) I could put it on their windscreen. Something like this:

Unless your car has broken down,
    why are your hazard lights on?
    Your car is parked in a stupid
    thoughtless position.
    Kindly cop on and don't
    do this again.
    Use a carpark like an adult.

Do ye reckon it'd work?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

In fairness,I don't mind people stopping on a double yellow line with their hazards on for two minutes if they're just running into a shop,and aren't blocking anything.
    I don't like when they put their hazards on and leave it there for a good half hour.

Advertisement