Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raid?

Options
  • 06-08-2010 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Can i use raid with different hdd's? I have 1 now but was gone get an extra 2 750gb WD for streaming using the BMI Pro. Also what would adding a SSD do. Please explain in simple terms.

Sorry for sounding stupid but im new to all this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Just in the middle of building my first pc and as far as I know you need to of the same hard drives for raid to work e.g two WD 320GB 7200rpm hard drives if I'm wrong people please feel free to correct me. also I think having ssd drives in raid will be even better then sata drives.

Jon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wcp1200

ok so i just checked. There is 2 250gb segate hdd in there that are already in raid so if i add two more of these would that work?http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/11_HDD/07_INTHD35/productdetails/20001392/Seagate_Barracuda_7200_12_Hard_drive_1_TB_/ST31000528AS/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

(depending on the controller of course) Raid will likely work with different drive models and even sizes. however, it will only regcognize the size of the smallest drive, and speed will be throttled to that of the slower drive, making an ssd/HD raid combo no better then a less costly HD/HD combo that is likely to be more compatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wcp1200

ok so i just buy two of those in the above link. Both are 7200rpm. what about connecting them? Will wires come with the hdds or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Not meaning to hijack the thread but I have 3 hdds 2 are seagate 160gb sata2 and 1 seagate 1tb. My question is since im putting the 2 x 160 into raid0 for the OS and programs will my computer read the non raid0 drive the 1tb which I be using for backup (movies/music etc) or do I need to have it external. I like to keep all 3 hdds in the case.

My idea was to set in the bios the 160s in raid and the 1tb as single.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

wcp1200 wrote: »
    ok so i just buy two of those in the above link. Both are 7200rpm. what about connecting them? Will wires come with the hdds or what?

I've never received cables with a hard drive I bought online. They just give you the bare hard drive.
    jonon9 wrote: »
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but I have 3 hdds 2 are seagate 160gb sata2 and 1 seagate 1tb. My question is since im putting the 2 x 160 into raid0 for the OS and programs will my computer read the non raid0 drive the 1tb which I be using for backup (movies/music etc) or do I need to have it external. I like to keep all 3 hdds in the case.

My idea was to set in the bios the 160s in raid and the 1tb as single.

Yes, you can usually do that unless you have an awkward motherboard. Definitely back up what you have on the RAID array.

Advertisement