Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Givin it socks!

Options
  • 06-08-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Decided it was about time to start a log of what i've been doing, hopefully it will keep me more focused and on track in the future rather then dickin about most days and missin the gym!

My stats are:

Height: 5'7
    Weight: 70kg
    Bf% : Not sure of this, need to get tested in gym

First thing I should mention is I damaged some tendons and cartilage in my left knee last year but thats back to normal now and been cleared by physio. Used to work in construction a bit to so crap habits made a balls of my back but physio has cleared that to.

I've started starting strength but I haven't stuck to it as much as I should have. My last lifts when doing it were:

Squat: 65kg
    Deadlift: 75kg
    Bench: 50kg
    Overhead Press: 32.5kg

Haven't done any power cleans as weights section in Kingfisher gym in NUIG is to small to avoid beltin someone across the jaw with something!

I also do a lot of bodyweight exercises at home on days I don't go to the gym so hopefully they'll stand to me. My stats for these are:

Pushups: 20, 13, 11(Bodyweight)
    Ring Pullups: 5, 4, 2
    Ring Inverted Rows: 5x5 no problem, need to find a way to make harder
    Ring Dips: 3, 2, 0 :( Stayin stable on the rings is a right bastard!

Do some other exercises with them aswell but don't really measure anything, should probably start taking it more seriously!

My main goals with this are basically to just get stronger! I couldn't give a crap about size gains to be honest with you, if they happen they happen. Used to be a lot stronger and fitter at the start of college but then with exams and pissups I got lazy and useless. Now i'm back studying for a PhD so should have more then enough time when I sort everything out with it to start hitting the gym harder! Hittin the gym this Monday so will start posting up everything from then on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Ring Inverted Rows: 5x5 no problem, need to find a way to make harder

Try them elevated if you're not doing it already, makes a big difference. Also, you could try them weighted - just stick a few weights in a back pack.

Good luck with your log :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Missed the gym on Monday, got delayed at a doctors appointment so missed my lift in, not a great start to this!! Was a pretty crap session as well as I don't really have a program to stick to at home so just do whatever comes into my head. Really need to start sticking to Starting Strength and get into the gym more.

Just did a lot of bodyweight stuff with the gym rings.

Ring Support Position: Held until failure 3 times, getting much better at this compared to when I first had them!

Ring pullups/chinups: Alternated between a set of pullups and chinups to try and make it more interesting, figures were better to
    Pullups: 6, 4, 3
    Chinups: 9, 4(:(), 3 Left bicep hurt a bit so didn't force myself as much as I should have
    Inverted Rows: Put my legs up higher then my shoulders at the start position as G86 said and its really made a difference! Can barely get 3x5 now, especially after the pulls/chins
    Ring pushups: 15, 13, 10 (Hopefully when my balance starts getting better I can hammer out more of these as it really doesn't feel like the muscles that would give way when doing a normal pushup are holding me back here)
    Ring Dips: 4, 2, 2
    Airsquats: 40, 30, 27 I could have got more of these out but my god they bored the sh!t out of me doing that much volume!

Really need to put more structure into these ring workouts, pretty much just dickin about on them, I know that i'm seeing results but I think i'd see more and put more into it with a structured program.

Awful gym session today!! Just couldn't get my head into it, only for the fact that I got talking to a Polish guy in there I think I would have just f*cked off out of there after no time at all! Spent twice as long as I needed to aswell because of some dumb, brain dead cnut that decided he wanted to sit on the bench and stare at everyone and bench 2*35kg every 10 minutes without leaving the bench!

Lifts today were:

Squat:
    1*5 Empty Bar
    1*4 40kg
    1*2 50kg
    2*5 60kg
    1*5 62.5kg (Felt like a useless arse doin this, still had proper form though)

Deadlifts:

1*3 50kg
    1*5 60kg (Still feel like my form is off, goin to have to video it and post it for some feedback, only feels like i'm using the bare minimum of my glutes and hamstrings and doin everything with my back)

Pushups:
    I thought I wouldn't get the use of a bench so substituted it for these

9 (Pathetic)

Bench:

After the useless cnut decided to get off I decided to try something but was pissed and wasn't in the mood for much more so just knocked out a small number of stuff

1*5 Empty Bar
    1*5 30kg
    2*5 40kg (Usually would try more but was on my own and just wanted to get out)

Hope to god i'm not this way next time, think it was just lack of sleep and not enough to eat all day that had me in a bad way.

Good enough session last night, gym had a good few people in it that were just squatting, deadlifting and pressing :eek: Really surprised me for NUIG! Got a good nights sleep beforehand and a mountain of food in me during the earlier parts of the day so everything went well

Squat

1*5 Empty Bar
    1*3 40kg
    1*3 60kg
    3*5 67.5kg (Wrists were really sore doing this last set and left upper arm felt a bit bad, goin to have to get this looked at. Wrist pain is probably from playing guitar for years and not warming my hands up before playing)

Benchpress

1*5 Empty Bar
    1*3 40kg
    3*5 47.5kg (Left shoulder didn't feel to good, didn't phase me though, think its just a bit of tightness but goin to get the college physio just to be sure)

Pullups

Using the rings at home have really made a difference here!

8,5,4 (Couldn't believe this, big improvement over last time I was in the gym, felt so much easier just being in a constrained position!)

After doing this I wanted to check if my dips had been affected by the rings aswell...

Dips:

Yes they were!! Feels so much easier not having to control my descent as much

3*5 Bodyweight
    1*5 Bodyweight+10kg (This felt hard but man did it feel good!!)

Called it a day after this, need to book appointment with physio to look over the shoulder. Probably just tightness but don't want to take a chance with it

Was an alright session today, was in a smaller gym out near Athenry so wasn't as much facilities but still got a decent session in.

Squat:

1*5 Empty
    1*3 45kg
    3*5 70kg (Felt good today, didn't wrap thumbs around bar and wrists didn't feel tight)

Overhead Press:

1*5 20kg
    1*3 30kg
    3*5 32.5kg

Deadlift:

1*5 60kg
    1*5 65kg (Form is feeling better now, just have to stretch out the calves and hamstrings a bit more)

• Advertisement

Great session last night, kingfisher was empty so got in and out in no time

Squats:

1*5 20kg
    1*3 40kg
    3*5 72.5kgs (Bodyweight, woo!!)

Bench:

1*5 20kg
    1*3 40kg
    3*5 50kg

Deadlift:

Accidently put 80 on instead of 70 but form was perfect

1*5 60kg
    1*5 80kg

Good enough session out in Athenry today, some young lads in wife beaters from the area in there though thinkin that benching something while trashing your legs around to get it up for a rep counts! Just trained around them though, they looked at me like I had two heads when I was deadlifting!

Weight down a few kgs, better start eatin!

Squat:

1*5 20
    1*4 50
    1*3 70
    3*5 75

Deadlift:

1*5 60
    1*5 85

Bench:

1*5 20
    1*5 50
    3*5 55 (Have to fix my shoulders for this, keep thinkin they are goin to fall off by the last rep!)

Dips:

Showed my brother how to do these as well as negative pullups

3*5 Bodyweight Dips
    1*5 bw + 5kg
    1*5 bw + 10kg (Wanted to try 15kg but plates were taken and had already spent over 1 1/2 hours in there with waiting for equipment and showin friends how to use a foam roller)

Been away from this for a good while, been a lot of crap going on at home with landscaping and felling some trees around us. I think throwing logs into the back of a transport box has to count as some sort of training though! Strength has gone down a bit though, muscles have also gotten really tight, foam roller will be gettin used a huge amount over next few days.

Squat:

1*5 20
    1*5 50
    1*3 70
    3*5 75 (Felt rough doing this)

Press

1*5 15 ( I think this is what the smaller bar is supposed to weigh, like a 5ft version of the standard barbell)
    3*5 35 (Need to tighten up the core more while doing this)

Deadlift

1*5 60
    1*5 80 (Ass and hamstrings are killing me today!!)

Overall wasn't a great workout but hoping that once I get back into it i'll start getting more enjoyment out of them again.

Good session last night, got a big feed in to me about 2 hours beforehand so had a good bit of energy for it. Met a friend in there last night, hopefully stay training with him cause felt more motivated when there was someone else in there with me.

Squats:

1*5 20
    1*5 50
    1*5 70
    3*5 77.5 (Last rep was torture, some prick brushed against the bar)

Bench:

1*5 20
    1*5 40
    1*5 50
    3*5 55 (Felt good, right shoulder bit sore though)

Pullups:

These have gone down the toilet completely since I stopped training for a month!

5, 3, 2 Full reps, chest to bar
    2 negatives, took about 15-20 seconds to lower myself

Called it a day after this, was goin to try some farmers walks but forearms were fried from negative pullups!

Good enough session on Monday, really feeling the effects of Kingfisher only having one squat rack though! Always someone in it, I don't mind sharing it but i'm a short arse so resetting everything can be a bit of a pain! Was waiting a while for it cause some guy was doing 20rep squats and looked like he was about to calf so said i'd stay away until he finished! Started by checkin how many dips I could do in a row:

Dips:

19, 13, 10 (Last 10 were ridiculously painful)

Squats:

1*5 20
    1*5 40
    1*5 60
    1*3 70
    3*5 80 (Felt good, stopped worrying so much about messing up my knee and just went for it, form was perfect. Glutes and lower back completely stiff afterwards though)

Deadlifts:

1*5 60
    1*5 90 (Lack of plates around the gym, couldn't find 2*2.5s anywhere! Was a painful deadlift but felt good after it)

Got in to the gym late so had to call it a day after this

• Advertisement

Chinups : (Was waiting for squat rack)

8, 5, 3

Was goin to do negatives but seen that the rack freed up

Squats:

1*5 20
    1*5 60
    1*5 70
    2*5 80
    1*5 82.5 (Didn't think i'd be able for it as the 80's were tough)

Overhead press :

Did this with a full barbell in the rack since the place had emptied out, was much harder then what i'm used to

1*5 20
    1*5 30
    3*5 32.5 :( Was a bitch to get it any higher then this, shoulders were fecked!)

Goin to add in more core work in my next sessions, think I could benefit alot from it. Also goin to just do weighted lunges anymore if the squat rack is taken up, takes to long to wait for it at times with people doin sets of 20 or just bein general d!cks about sharing it.

Absolute w*nk of a session today, only up about 2 hours so hadn't eaten much beforehand so had no energy. Stressed as f*ck too with a demo I have to get ready for this Thursday and my house was robbed last week by some filthy prick who took both my laptop and my tv!!! :mad: On top of all that my brother has been having problems with severe depression so the last week hasn't been one bit good!

Dips :

3*5 Bodyweight

Chins

3*5 Bodyweight (Easy but just wasn't enjoying them)

Squats :

Started goin really deep with these today so numbers are down a good bit

1*5 20
    1*5 40
    1*5 60
    2*5 70
    3*5 75

Bench :

1*5 20
    1*5 30 (Some knob had all the plates gone using the smith machine)
    1*5 40
    3*5 50

Deadlift :

1*5 60
    1*4 80
    1*5 90

No engagements for the next few weeks so will be sticking to the strict 3 days a week from now on. Finally got a big demo with my company out of the way so a lot of pressure is off until Christmas.

Weight : Still around 75kg, can't fit into my old suit though :( Went in to let out the waist but tailor said it was my hips and not my waist that got much wider so thats kind of a plus!

Squats: (Still getting nice and deep with there, need to add in more core work though I think cause core feels like its at breaking point)

1*5 20
    1*5 40
    1*4 60
    1*3 70
    1*5 80
    3*5 85 (A lot more then I thought I did, wrecked after it!)

Overhead Press: (I suck at these! Numbers just wont go up! Using the proper oly barbell now for them, was a bit awkward at first)

1*5 20
    1*5 30
    1*5 35
    2*3 35 :mad:

Pull-ups: Shoulders were in bits, overall my pullups are awful lately anyways

4, 4, 3 (Absolutly pathetic)

Lat pulldowns : Thought these might help

1*5 45
    3*5 55

Just back from the gym, really took it out of me today! Wrecked after it! Think I might have to reset my squat back a bit and focus on my technique for a while :mad: Lower back being used a bit so want to focus on that for a while. Other then that it was a good session, bench and deadlifts were decent

Squat :

1*5 20
    1*5 60
    1*3 70
    1*2 80
    3*5 85 (2 or 3 turned into some semi good mornings, didn't feel good!)

Bench

1*5 20
    1*5 30
    1*3 40
    1*3 50
    3*5 55 ( Technique is spot on, watched Diesel crew and Wills videos and feel much better benching now)

Deadlift :

1*5 60 (Couldn't get over how easy these feel now, when I started this felt impossible! Shows what technique can do)

1*3 70
    1*3 80
    1*2 90
    1*5 95 (Tough! Grip feels good though, lockout was difficult though)

Stretching and foam rolling after this, goin to leave out everything that isn't in starting strength until after Christmas and see how the lifts get on

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Hey Doctor,

Maybe you are doing too many warmups so close to your set on the squats? I'm squatting 82.5 and my warmup would be 1X5 on bar, 1X5 on 60kg and then 5X5 on set.

Maybe just a thought to lower the heavy weight warmups.

Although I'm no expert so some people might say ignore what I said! :P

Had a session with Dave Gallagher from results Ireland in Galway yesterday, was great! Can't recommend him enough!! He went over my squat, bench and deadlift form and noticed a few things off about my lifts, some minor and some pretty significant like my left shoulder being pretty tight and to get it looked over by a physio. He also got me lifting some good numbers out there aswell.

Can't remember the exact figures for everything

Squat:

1*5 30
    1*5 50
    1*5 60
    1*5 70
    1*5 90 This was great!! I know its only one set but when I fixed up my form it didn't feel to bad doing this! Dave reckons I could easily squat 100 with proper form

Bench: (My bench form is actually pretty poor according to Dave :( Mainly due to my left shoulder being so arseways)

Max I lifted was 55 before Dave stopped me and corrected me

Deadlift: (Fixed my form here a lot aswell, was very loose and my shoulders were to far back form the bar)

1*5 60
    1*5 100 (Grip started to give out, goin to focus on this a bit now) aswell)

Left shoulder really startin to **** me over now with the press, have physio booked for it though and really starting to get deep with a hockey ball to try and relax it. The ball works wonders now that i'm applying a lot of pressure, did it after the gym last night and shoulder felt as good as new, still want the physio to look over it though.

Squats:

1*5 20
    1*5 60
    1*5 70
    1*3 80
    3*5 87.5 ( Didn't make the last one. I just gave up rather then failed it, felt like a right pussy doin it considering I know that I could have easily made it. )

Press:

1*5 20
    1*5 30
    1*5 40 (Couldn't do anymore of 40 so dropped down
    2*5 37.5 Thses felt really tough and left shoulder was killing me

Pullups:

5, 4, 2 Concentrating a lot more on the negative phase of them now, before I was pretty much just dropping down and as a result was overextending my elbows.

Reckon I got a great workout cycling to work this morning, damn gales doubled my commute and legs were f**ked after it!! Was to stubborn to get off the bike and walk parts of it :rolleyes:

Just had some pretty serious surgery done yesterday so going to be a while before I can get back to doing any sort of gym work :(

Just back today for a bit, took it pretty easy. Was tight as a nuns crack though! Those 2 1/2 weeks of sittin on my ass really didn't do me any favours!

Squats: As I said I took it really easy

1*5 20
    1*5 30
    3*5 50 Didn't feel good after these, decided to go and tread lightly on the treadmill to get back into things.

Was going to deadlift but since that stresses the groin area aswell I didn't want to chance it in case something bad happened and end up in hospital again!

15mins treadmill (boring!)

Stretches and mobility work

Overall, pure and utter sh!te but its nice to finally be back in the gym, stress was really startin to build up from college

Back in again after a month of physio on my left shoulder, no injury or anything but I could tell that something in it was going to go if I didn't get it looked at and carried on. Was an alright session, was wrecked after the squatting since its been so long since a decent session, almost 2 1/2 months :eek: Felt great getting back into it though!

Squats: Tested the waters with these to check how much strength I lost

1*5 20
    1*5 40
    1*5 60
    1*3 70
    3*5 75 ( Was tough, probably going to start at 70 and work up again 2.5 each time)

Deadlift: Strength gone down a lot in this, although I reckon technique could be messed up aswell

1*5 60
    1*5 80
    1*4 80 (Grip giving out, never happened before!!)

Was sickened cause was getting over 100 before my operation :(

Meant to do pullups after this but pullup station was being used by a group of lads so used the lat pulldown instead to have something.

1*5 35
    3*5 55 Wanted to do more but wrists were fried!!

I did quite a few core exercises then as recommended by the physio, need to concentrate on my form though as my shoulders are all over the place in planks.

• Advertisement

Took up swimming again as part of the physios recommendations

Today:

500m Front Crawl, thought I was going to get sick at the end of this cause technique has gone out the window since I was young!

Determined to get back to my previous talent when I was younger, almost made the Galway sharks swimming team only for problems at home that caused me to give up swimming.

21/01/11

Squats:

1*5 20
    1*5 40
    1*3 60
    1*2 70
    3*5 80 (Flew up, most have been a bad day on Wednesday)

Bench:

1*5 20
    1*4 40
    3*5 55 (Shoulder not as bad but still not 100%, physio said there is some bicep tendonitis and that its going to be a while before thats fixed :( )

Barbell Row:

1*5 20
    1*5 30
    3*5 40 (Techniques a bit arseways but wanted something different, want to build up my grip again)

Side bends:

1*5 15 (5 each side)
    3*5 20 Might start including these more often, my core is pretty piss poor!

Farmers Walk:

1*30 sec walk, 20kg dumbbell in each hand
    3*30 sec walk, 30kg dumbbell in each hand

Called it a day after this cause couldn't close my hands properly after the walks!

Pure balls of a session, lads deadlifting in front of the squat rack so no chance of using it. I did get to see how bad someone can round their back though while lifting a heavy weight!

Weighted Lunges:

1*5 20kg in each hand, 5 on one leg then 5 on the other. Can't get my right glute firing at all for these!

2*5 24kg in each hand

Dips:

3*5 Bodyweight, wasn't great at all

One armed rows:

3*5 20kg, form all over the place

All in all a pure shi** session that I hope I never have to repeat again!! Goin to be going in early to the gym anymore so I can get a good use of the squat rack!

Good session this evening! Doctor_Socks is coming back to form!

Squat rack was in use so did some mild stretching, hip mobility work and core work. Nothing to strenuous, more to pass the time then anything else.

Squat rack was still in use afterwards so went deadlifting instead

Deadlift:

1*5 60
    1*5 80
    1*5 100 (Oddly enough my grip was perfect today! :D )

Squats:

1*5 40
    1*5 60
    3*5 90 (Thought it was 80, head has been fried this week with a demo the company thats sponsors my research so didn't count properly. I'm not disappointed though!)

Gym was closing after this so called it a night, felt great getting that 100 back on the deadlift though! And the 90kg squats were the icing on the cake!

Damaged my back at the weekend, sickened over it!! Physio said its not to bad and has recommended I start pilates and a lot more swimming after the injury heals, I want to squat :(

Advertisement