Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Threw a large bet on with Boyles on Tipp -14. Surprised it's still 21/20.

Worried enough given the sum involved, but at the same time Offaly have looked so poor.

what would you consider a large bet,i think i might follow you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

what would you consider a large bet,i think i might follow you.

More than I can afford or would deem wise in this case!

My one worry would that Tipp would ease off, but if they are motivated (and would hope with some forwards competing for places they would be) then it shouldn't be an issue.

Actually f*ck it I can afford it, but I won't be betting for a while if it loses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Think limk footballers at best prices , around 7/4 to beat Sligo , my bet of weekend , unchanged team - decent bench - revenge for league game and thought Sligo poor against galway and on the wane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭shmeee

More than I can afford or would deem wise in this case!

My one worry would that Tipp would ease off, but if they are motivated (and would hope with some forwards competing for places they would be) then it shouldn't be an issue.

Actually f*ck it I can afford it, but I won't be betting for a while if it loses.

A large bet in Boyles on a market like such would be around the 600 mark anyway before they start wondering. You'd be doing well to get 2k on a 1/2 shot with them GAA wise.

Tipp will cover this handicap and more, offaly are in free fall, players not showing for training and drinking and all going on reported around the place and you'd nearly believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭shmeee

akelly02 wrote: »
    was told to back offaly minors for the leinster today before the beat Dublin tomorrow night, think they are 7/2.

9/4 to beat dublin tomorrow

Result

Dublin 6-13
    Offaly 0-6

Hmmm, as said minor level is not one to get involved with betting wise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

shmeee wrote: »
    Result

Dublin 6-13
    Offaly 0-6

Or in any other way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Threw a large bet on with Boyles on Tipp -14. Surprised it's still 21/20.

Worried enough given the sum involved, but at the same time Offaly have looked so poor.

No matter how poor Offaly are thats a big enough spread. Offaly will only be playing for pride in this one no realistic chance of winning it but to stay withing 14 might not be out of their grasp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Result

Dublin 6-13
    Offaly 0-6

correct!! was at the match they were an absolute disgrace! Luckily i only had €20 on!

A large bet in Boyles on a market like such would be around the 600 mark anyway before they start wondering. You'd be doing well to get 2k on a 1/2 shot with them GAA wise.

Tipp will cover this handicap and more, offaly are in free fall, players not showing for training and drinking and all going on reported around the place and you'd nearly believe it.

Not that large so haha.

Anchorman, I hear you, but I have convinced myself Ive not seen a worse Offaly team than this.

Its not really a tip as such in fairness, no outstanding value in it but just posted it as mh bet for the weekend really. There's surely more value to be had. Had a big win on Germany on Tuesday so that's where the money is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Not that large so haha.

Anchorman, I hear you, but I have convinced myself Ive not seen a worse Offaly team than this.

Its not really a tip as such in fairness, no outstanding value in it but just posted it as mh bet for the weekend really. There's surely more value to be had. Had a big win on Germany on Tuesday so that's where the money is coming from.

If you had a big win dont give it back to the bookie man. There are better value games on even this weekend. Argentina at 6/4 to lift the trophy is surely a much better bet.

Offaly have a couple of players like Shane Dooley Brian Carroll and Joe Bergin who on their day can score enough to get within the 14. But look your right this is a really poor Offaly team, just personally hate backing handicaps like that, Tipp could pull off half the team with 20 to go an ease to a 10 point victory.

• Advertisement

If you had a big win dont give it back to the bookie man. There are better value games on even this weekend. Argentina at 6/4 to lift the trophy is surely a much better bet.

Offaly have a couple of players like Shane Dooley Brian Carroll and Joe Bergin who on their day can score enough to get within the 14. But look your right this is a really poor Offaly team, just personally hate backing handicaps like that, Tipp could pull off half the team with 20 to go an ease to a 10 point victory.

Again, I can't argue with much of it. And Tipp easing off is the worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭salmon1

I think mayo -4 at 4/5 is a great shout.Going to do that with a treble of laois 4/6 and tyrone who should overcome armagh in a scrappy match.Treble pays 3/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Very valid , punting with hcap this large is dodgy , weather will play a part too , poor bet IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Went with a mad accumulator for the lols.

Cork
    Wexford +4
    Tyrone
    Sligo
    Roscommon
    Down

20/1 with PP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭Good loser

Not that large so haha.

What were the odds on Germany? From what Dunphy said and from my own eyes knew Germany were a good thing but didn't cross my mind to bet.

Good loser wrote: »
    What were the odds on Germany? From what Dunphy said and from my own eyes knew Germany were a good thing but didn't cross my mind to bet.

2/1

Want to defend the bet a little. Disregarding the stake, I would have been waiting for the handicaps on the Offaly game for a good while. Being honest with you, I thought it would be more in the region of 18 points since Kilkenny won by 26 and to be honest stopped hurling.

I remember being shocked when I saw Colin Fennelly had 1-5 because I didn't even feel he was playing that well to be honest. When it comes to large handicaps, this would be the second time I'd have bet on someone to cover the spread this year (guess who last time).

I don't think 15 points is half the gap in hurling as it is in football. The fact is, you can pack the defense all you want in hurling but if there's that big a difference between the teams you'll be found out. Say Kilkenny got the same amount of goals v Offaly the last day, they still would have beaten the spread (13 points on the day). That is telling, and the Offaly keeper made a number of saves when Kilkenny players took on shots for the camera.

I know what Offaly have, and what they produced in years past. Without winning, they gave Cork trouble on two occasions (though failed to push on despite Pa Cronin getting sent off one year) and where in there with Waterford for a long time last year, although they did have home advantage and a lot of confidence going in.

Just because they wear the same colours doesn't mean they are the same team. Dooley was pretty easily marshalled the last day. Bergin is far too inconsistent to be that worried about, and so really it's Brian Carroll that they have to mark. He marked an average hurler that day against Kilkenny who didn't even get on in the Leinster final I'm pretty certain, Michael Cahill would be a far different proposition.

Also what would ease my biggest concern about Tipp pulling up would be the subs they have on the bench. Lar gets his chance to start again today, as does Gearoid Ryan, but stuck on the sideline are Niall O Meara and Denis Maher. O Meara was one of Tipps best forward v Limerick before he was taken out, and Denis Maher came on that day and scored two points. Hopefully, they'll both be preferred to John O Brien.

Anyway, writing that more for myself than tempting to sway anyone. Big handicaps can be dodgy but each case on it's merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cork -3 @ 11/10 (evs with PP if like me you dont have a 365 account) looks pretty generous for tomorrow. Cork have had the benefit of 3 games over the summer to Limericks one and have scored freely in the last 2, particularly impressive v Clare. Home advantage as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

As a Clareman, I think Wexford +5 looks a great bet. 4/5 with Boyles. They have drawn with us in normal time on the last two occasions that we've met. If it wasn't for 5 or 6 wides in succession and some excellent keeping from Kelly they would have won. The draw at 12/1 could be worth a tiny stake also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,178 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MikeyGorse wrote: »
    As a Clareman, I think Wexford +5 looks a great bet. 4/5 with Boyles. They have drawn with us in normal time on the last two occasions that we've met. If it wasn't for 5 or 6 wides in succession and some excellent keeping from Kelly they would have won. The draw at 12/1 could be worth a tiny stake also.

On the one hand you are saying that Wexford + 5 looks great and then you are saying that a draw at 12/1 also looks good.

It's either one or the other. Sounds like you are having trouble making up your mind. Not the way to bet.

• Advertisement

On the one hand you are saying that Wexford + 5 looks great and then you are saying that a draw at 12/1 also looks good.

It's either one or the other. Sounds like you are having trouble making up your mind. Not the way to bet.

If it's a draw both bets win. The bet is Wexford +5 because I reckon there will be very little in it,could easily go to extra time again.

The draw was only a tiny interest stakes bet if people decided they wanted to get on it, just seems like a nice price considering it was a draw after 70 minutes in their last two meeting (and I know it was also a draw after ET the last day but that doesn't count towards 70th minute betting)

"Could be worth a tiny stake..." is what I said

Think he means the draw would be worth a chance for value.

Always need a bitta luck when betting on a draw.

We'll know after a minute or two if Clare are at the races. They will have to be at their best to win this one.

djPSB wrote: »
    Think he means the draw would be worth a chance for value.

Always need a bitta luck when betting on a draw.

We'll know after a minute or two if Clare are at the races. They will have to be at their best to win this one.

Exactly lad. All I was saying was that the bet is Wexford +5 and draw is a tiny value bet for people if they fancied it more or less.

Bet won and small interest bet at 12s won. Who said I was having trouble making up my mind? Hope a few got on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

If it's a draw both bets win. The bet is Wexford +5 because I reckon there will be very little in it,could easily go to extra time again.

The draw was only a tiny interest stakes bet if people decided they wanted to get on it, just seems like a nice price considering it was a draw after 70 minutes in their last two meeting (and I know it was also a draw after ET the last day but that doesn't count towards 70th minute betting)

"Could be worth a tiny stake..." is what I said

#winning #oracle

Bet won and small interest bet at 12s won. Who said I was having trouble making up my mind? Hope a few got on.

Hahaha fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Want to defend the bet a little. Disregarding the stake, I would have been waiting for the handicaps on the Offaly game for a good while. Being honest with you, I thought it would be more in the region of 18 points since Kilkenny won by 26 and to be honest stopped hurling.

I remember being shocked when I saw Colin Fennelly had 1-5 because I didn't even feel he was playing that well to be honest. When it comes to large handicaps, this would be the second time I'd have bet on someone to cover the spread this year (guess who last time).

I don't think 15 points is half the gap in hurling as it is in football. The fact is, you can pack the defense all you want in hurling but if there's that big a difference between the teams you'll be found out. Say Kilkenny got the same amount of goals v Offaly the last day, they still would have beaten the spread (13 points on the day). That is telling, and the Offaly keeper made a number of saves when Kilkenny players took on shots for the camera.

I know what Offaly have, and what they produced in years past. Without winning, they gave Cork trouble on two occasions (though failed to push on despite Pa Cronin getting sent off one year) and where in there with Waterford for a long time last year, although they did have home advantage and a lot of confidence going in.

Just because they wear the same colours doesn't mean they are the same team. Dooley was pretty easily marshalled the last day. Bergin is far too inconsistent to be that worried about, and so really it's Brian Carroll that they have to mark. He marked an average hurler that day against Kilkenny who didn't even get on in the Leinster final I'm pretty certain, Michael Cahill would be a far different proposition.

Also what would ease my biggest concern about Tipp pulling up would be the subs they have on the bench. Lar gets his chance to start again today, as does Gearoid Ryan, but stuck on the sideline are Niall O Meara and Denis Maher. O Meara was one of Tipps best forward v Limerick before he was taken out, and Denis Maher came on that day and scored two points. Hopefully, they'll both be preferred to John O Brien.

Anyway, writing that more for myself than tempting to sway anyone. Big handicaps can be dodgy but each case on it's merits.

You owe Seamie Callinan a pint!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

Any tips for tomorrow- nice tips today guys , thank you !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,178 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Any tips for tomorrow- nice tips today guys , thank you !!!!

Cork -3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement