Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 LetsgoGAAGAA

Is Paul Flynn 4/1 to get footballer of the year not greatest bet of all time I thought he would be 15/8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Is Paul Flynn 4/1 to get footballer of the year not greatest bet of all time I thought he would be 15/8

He's 5/2. Where you seeing 4s?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    He's 5/2. Where you seeing 4s?

Looking at oddschecker pp cut it at 11.15pm tonight 7/2 still there with Boylesports and lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mjp

Can't see how Boyles have diarmud Connolly favourite. Season hasn't really got going at all and apart from his goal last weekend hasn't been to the fore yet this season. Would have b brogan flynn and Kev Mc Menamin ahead of him for all star selection not to mention POTY. Took some of the 7/2 with Boyles on flynn as he has a massive fanclub on Sunday game and this goes a long way to influencing pundits when picking player of the year when season comes to an end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Richie McCarthy 15/8 for an all star

• Advertisement

I really do think the handicap is wrong if it's 7pts Donegal will be able to beat this if they get a clean bill of health from the weekend

Back against Dublin at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

mjp wrote: »
    Can't see how Boyles have diarmud Connolly favourite. Season hasn't really got going at all and apart from his goal last weekend hasn't been to the fore yet this season. Would have b brogan flynn and Kev Mc Menamin ahead of him for all star selection not to mention POTY. Took some of the 7/2 with Boyles on flynn as he has a massive fanclub on Sunday game and this goes a long way to influencing pundits when picking player of the year when season comes to an end

It's between Flynn and Connolly if the Dubs win alright. Connolly was awesome throughout the league and also in Vinnies run to the Club All Ireland as well.

Obviously James O'D will win it if Kerry win the whole lot and Aidan O'Shea and maybe Lee Keegan might go close if Mayo finally take Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Flynn's a class act. Oyr most consistent player and the most well rounded footballer in the country, I'd love to see him win POTY but if Connolly can put in one or two vintage performances which he's well capable of he'll steal the limelight because he's a more flashy footballer.

Odds of J McCarthy all star? He's been doing great this year and the wing back competition isnt as stiff this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Flynn's a class act. Oyr most consistent player and the most well rounded footballer in the country, I'd love to see him win POTY but if Connolly can put in one or two vintage performances which he's well capable of he'll steal the limelight because he's a more flashy footballer.

Odds of J McCarthy all star? He's been doing great this year and the wing back competition isnt as stiff this season.

Keegan gets a lot of hype for his attacking forays but I think McCarthy is the best wing back in football at the minute.

They should both get the nod this year I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Anyone think Kerry are a big price @ 9-1. Granted Dublin are hot favs and should win it but 9-1 just seems big to me. To beat Dublin, Kerry/Mayo would have to be at their peak and Dublin would need an off day but it is possible.

• Advertisement

James Mac and Lee are both #5s, they don't do the all stars position by position though do they? It'd be a pity if only one got an all star. If they just throw all the wing backs into the nominations I'd fancy both of them to pick up an award.

Keegan's the best half back in the country imo, McCarthy's fantastic though and not far behind. He quietly goes about his business unnoticed. When he builds up a bit of speed he's very hard to stop.

Just checked the odds. McCarthys 15/8. For some reason Lacey is second shortest odds at 11/10, he hasn't looked great at all this season from what I've seen. Has he been wing back or in the centre mainly again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Odhran McNialis would have to be in with a big shout for a nomination for YPOTY.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Odhran McNialis would have to be in with a big shout for a nomination for YPOTY.

Good shout. Does he qualify though?

O'Gara 8/1 all star in PP looks generous. Surely Murph can't be nominated at #14 when he's playing out the field?

Good shout. Does he qualify though?

O'Gara 8/1 all star in PP looks generous. Surely Murph can't be nominated at #14 when he's playing out the field?

Even leaving you Murphy what about James O Donoghue, Cillian O'Connor, Brogan and McManamon? Even Ciaran McManus would be ahead of him at the moment.

I backed O'gara at the start of the year to be an all star but he has disappointed. I would be shocked if he is selected.

James Mccarthy is a great shout though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mcmanus

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mjp

Odhran mc niallais is 22 and young Poty requires you to be u21. If he was eligible he would be fav for this market as he has had a brilliant year and even better than Ryan mc Hugh who's 2nd in betting. Probably one of weakest years for young Poty in good while with none of the dubs making starting 15 and all their good form being against beaten teams and tired defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mjp wrote: »
    Odhran mc niallais is 22 and young Poty requires you to be u21. If he was eligible he would be fav for this market as he has had a brilliant year and even better than Ryan mc Hugh who's 2nd in betting. Probably one of weakest years for young Poty in good while with none of the dubs making starting 15 and all their good form being against beaten teams and tired defences.

Thought he was 21. Makes more sense than the PL in England, U-23!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Even leaving you Murphy what about James O Donoghue, Cillian O'Connor, Brogan and McManamon? Even Ciaran McManus would be ahead of him at the moment.

I backed O'gara at the start of the year to be an all star but he has disappointed. I would be shocked if he is selected.

James Mccarthy is a great shout though.

You've just named a load of corner forwards. Do they simply nominate 9 guys who play 13-15 or do they split it into corner forwards/full forwards? Can't remember myself.

Even if he is competing against them I think he has a chance. O'Donoghue is a cert for sure, but Brogan hasn't been great from open play (he'll still probably get one). Kev Mac has little chance unless he ups his game further and McManus is KO'd at the QFs so its unlikely for him. I'll give you COC but he doesn't convince me as a top class forward. Fantastic free taker.

I've never been an O'Gara fan but he's improved so much this year and been great every time he's been on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

K-9 wrote: »
    Thought he was 21. Makes more sense than the PL in England, U-23!

I wouldnt be surprised if they upped the age limit for the YPOTY to U23 the way the game has gone.

It would be very interesting to see a comparison of how many players have been eligible over the last few years and especially on the top teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Some more thoughts on Dublin v Monaghan and the implications for the Donegal game and the handicap.

http://action81.com/blog/?p=7868#more-7868

• Advertisement

Cork v Tipp should be a savage game this weekend. I fancy Cork @ 1/1 though there is doubts about Pa Cronin who would be a loss but i feel they have enough against a Tipp side who have flattered to deceive the past couple of years

Warper wrote: »
    Cork v Tipp should be a savage game this weekend. I fancy Cork @ 1/1 though there is doubts about Pa Cronin who would be a loss but i feel they have enough against a Tipp side who have flattered to deceive the past couple of years

I think it would nearly suit JBM for Cronin to be injured as he is now the weak link in the cork forward line Bill Cooper and Harnedy are more than capable of winning their own ball which was why Cork depended so much on Cronin in the past and it's either JBMs style doesn't suit Cronin or he is bang out of form but not the same player in my eyes he was a couple of years. Paudie O'Sullivan will strengthen the Cork team so i agree in that sense.

To say tipp have flattered to deceive is some statement, they are definitely the best team to watch and have struggled to figure out how to win tight games.

I actually thought they were brilliant against Limerick in the Munster SHC earlier this year and it's possibly the best i had seen them play since possible the Waterford game in 2012 and they have improved every match since then. Defensively i think the have improved and for the most part in the galway game they were excellent defensively and it showed that they are maturing Padraic Maher was brilliant after he switched off Johnny Glynn and completely nullified Joe Canning in the 2nd half. If Tipp click on the day i would say they have the most talented team on paper.

In saying that i do fancy Cork as they nearly beat Clare last year after being played off the pitch and i can't see that happening this time but they are probably that little bit more efficient than tipp at present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Where could I get a market on a player not to score from play?
    Does one exist?
    Example; I decide player A has no chance of scoring from play against Kerry; can I back that anywhere?

Prices are normally available when the teams are named for this kind of market unless your looking for a defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Could you lay them on Betfair even?

No there are not many markets on bet fair what player are you thinking of I follow these markets pretty closely so I can tell you the price they will be around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

No there are not many markets on bet fair what player are you thinking of I follow these markets pretty closely so I can tell you the price they will be around

Not anyone in mind its just one I always wondered about as I just thought there might be value in these.
    Example; JOD against Mayo. Banker to get a score from play; what odds you looking at there for him not to get 1 from play?

I think it would nearly suit JBM for Cronin to be injured as he is now the weak link in the cork forward line Bill Cooper and Harnedy are more than capable of winning their own ball which was why Cork depended so much on Cronin in the past and it's either JBMs style doesn't suit Cronin or he is bang out of form but not the same player in my eyes he was a couple of years. Paudie O'Sullivan will strengthen the Cork team so i agree in that sense.

To say tipp have flattered to deceive is some statement, they are definitely the best team to watch and have struggled to figure out how to win tight games.

I actually thought they were brilliant against Limerick in the Munster SHC earlier this year and it's possibly the best i had seen them play since possible the Waterford game in 2012 and they have improved every match since then. Defensively i think the have improved and for the most part in the galway game they were excellent defensively and it showed that they are maturing Padraic Maher was brilliant after he switched off Johnny Glynn and completely nullified Joe Canning in the 2nd half. If Tipp click on the day i would say they have the most talented team on paper.

In saying that i do fancy Cork as they nearly beat Clare last year after being played off the pitch and i can't see that happening this time but they are probably that little bit more efficient than tipp at present

Tipp havn't beaten anyone of note since 2012. They were really poor last year and couldn't beat Limerick in Thurles this year. Galway and Dublin were very poor this year. I didnt think they were impressive at all against Dublin, if Dublin had scored the penalty in the second half they would only have been a few points down despite being woeful on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Warper wrote: »
    Tipp havn't beaten anyone of note since 2012. They were really poor last year and couldn't beat Limerick in Thurles this year. Galway and Dublin were very poor this year. I didnt think they were impressive at all against Dublin, if Dublin had scored the penalty in the second half they would only have been a few points down despite being woeful on the day.

Up until Sunday though Kilkenny only beat the same teams, don't think that's fair. Who is a team of note?

They did lose to Limerick twice but the only team to have knocked them out of the championship is Kilkenny since 2008. Cork have lost to Clare, Kilkenny, and Galway 3 times since then.

They weren't great last year, and had a poor start again this year but I genuinely think confidence had a lot to do with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭shmeee

Tipp going odds against slowly but surely, gonna hold out and see will go any bigger. Will have to be snapped up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement