Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Betting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I don't see anybody getting hammered at this stage of the year. The weather and pitches are in such a state that if you are anyway tactically astute you should be able to keep scores well down.

Just on the Munster games, I'd give Cratloe the nod just about on account of the strength of their forwards but The Nire are not a 2/1 shot for this game. The gaa.ie saying a potential Nire win "would be a massive shock" is ludicrous. Clare and Waterford teams have met 3 times since 2009, 2-1 to Clare on account of last year but there has never been more than 3 in it. Going back to 2005 Stradbally drew with Kilmurry before losing the replay by a point. In 2006, they Nire lost by a goal to Crokes and Ballinacourty made the final in 2007. The Nire didn't get a chance to compete in 2008 because of the all-Ireland final delaying the championship.

Point is the Munster club championship is notoriously competitive even if the record outside of Munster is poor enough in recent years. The Nire scored an impressive win against Ballylanders and have home advantage, combined with the dual factor and Id be very surprised if this isn't a close game.

The other game, and it's a case of can Ballincollig limit Donaghys impact? The fact that Stacks have had more match practice, with Ballincollig waiting about 4 weeks for a game I think, and that it was their first ever win in Cork would make Stacks justifiable favourites. But again, really can't see the Cork side are 9/4 outsiders. It's not a Gooch led Crokes they're playing.

Both tight games going to extra time.

Good call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Didn't put a bet on, not because of the tip per say but ' licence to go mad'..... Printing money.....lump ...free money....etc....all the phrases that should be banned in my opinion.

Why didnt you say that before the result? The post is up almost 24 hours. Convenient enough. Doubt you'd have mentioned it if they won.

The lad has 4 posts, anyone that backed Clontibret on the back of that post deserves to lose money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

djPSB wrote: »

Good call.

will be interesting to see what the odds are for the Nire Stacks final.

I wouldnt be surprised if the value bet is with the Nire again.

Stacks are a decent team, but they are no world-beaters.

They might win Munster but I'd be gobsmacked if they do much beyond that.

I think that Ballintubber at 9/4 is another game where the odds are out of skew.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    will be interesting to see what the odds are for the Nire Stacks final.

I wouldnt be surprised if the value bet is with the Nire again.

Stacks are a decent team, but they are no world-beaters.

They might win Munster but I'd be gobsmacked if they do much beyond that.

I think that Ballintubber at 9/4 is another game where the odds are out of skew.

Corofin have won their last 3 games by 20 points so that'll skew the odds somewhat.

Corofin haven't played a proper team in months so Ballintubber will be a good test for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Good call.

Sound yeah, would have been a loser backing anyone though. The draws are the peril for any gambler.

I reckon after today that the Nire will win Munster, as Boom Boom says they will likely be a good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The Nire 21/10 Stacks 1/2

Definitely think the Nire are worth a small punt at those odds.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The Nire 21/10 Stacks 1/2

Definitely think the Nire are worth a small punt at those odds.

Waiting for the other books to come up. How long would that take do you think?

EDIT: Just seen 5/2 with Boyles

Any thoughts on the International Rules.

I expect a win for the Aussies.

They have picked a strong squad and home advantage. The new kick out rule meaning they cannot be taken short should suit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I reckon Australia will destroy Ireland if they're taking it seriously TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

keane2097 wrote: »

I'd be shocked if they did. Very few of the Oz team will have played the sport before I'd imagine.

"Home advantage" is dubious to say the least given it allows ireland to train more professionally.

My worries would be Paul Earley comes across as uninspiring to say the least and the squad looked better last year.

• Advertisement

australia HT/FT @6/4 with Boyles seems like decent value.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if they did. Very few of the Oz team will have played the sport before I'd imagine.

I don't think that's accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

Any thoughts on the International Rules.

I expect a win for the Aussies.

They have picked a strong squad and home advantage. The new kick out rule meaning they cannot be taken short should suit them.

Also the new hand pass rule,you would imagine, would slightly benefit the home side.

razorhead wrote: »
    Also the new hand pass rule,you would imagine, would slightly benefit the home side.

What is the new hand pass rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

What is the new hand pass rule?

You now can have 6 instead of 4 before you have to play the ball

Local bookies in Galway have priced Ballintubber at 7/4. Available at 5/2 with Boyles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭CD-R 80

Local bookies in Galway have priced Ballintubber at 7/4. Available at 5/2 with Boyles.

Whys that?

Any locals got any info. "Home" advantage for BT. BT have the better group of forwards.

How will the midfield battle fare out.

Pity it's not live on the box :mad:

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

CD-R 80 wrote: »
    Whys that?

Any locals got any info. "Home" advantage for BT. BT have the better group of forwards.

How will the midfield battle fare out.

Pity it's not live on the box :mad:

don't get sucked in by those odds, Corofin will win this game. Not by a wide margin but they will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭shmeee

don't get sucked in by those odds, Corofin will win this game. Not by a wide margin but they will win it.

1-4 to 2-11 and still not over, many got sucked in at tasty odds I say.

• Advertisement

At first glance, I like the look of Omagh this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Anyone fancy the Nire against Austin Stacks?

Anyone fancy the Nire against Austin Stacks?

Yes. But then to be fair I'm not impartial.

I would certainly say the odds are very skewed. I'll give as balanced an argument as I can:

The Nire have 10 players that were involved in 2006 if I'm right. Of those 10, 7 of those have played Senior football for Waterford. Shane Walsh and Liam Lawlor intermittently as they have been on the hurling panel consistently since 2004. Brian Wall and the O Gorman twins have been mainstays on the team for a long team, with Wall having played v Tipp in the hurling in 2004. I don't think there is a player that will start that hasn't been involved in a County panel. And there is some very good young players in Barron, Shane Ryan and Gleeson.

They will have that athleticism and skill to match. Though Kerry teams have a strong record v Waterford teams win wise, most of those games have been very close since around 2005 with a few exceptions. And I do think Dr Crokes were an exceptional team thought they never won an all Ireland to back that up.

I don't know an awful lot about Stacks but from what Ive read the consensus doesn't seem to suggest they are the best team to come out of Kerry. They'll be battle hardened and this game will certainly be that kind of a battle. With a team led by a player of Donaghys class and no doubt inherent confidence, I can see why theyd be favourites. Also, there was no real talk of the Nire before the Cratloe game where a plausibly tired team came to an ambush in Dungarvan.

There is a lot more talk about the Nire now and maybe a bit more pressure. But probably not anymore than what Stacks have to contend with, especially with the big following they bring who will no doubt be expectant.

Would not surprise me if this was the 6th weekend in a row that the live game on Tg4 was a draw, but reckon all things being equal the Nire are a good value punt for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Where's it on?

Deco99 wrote: »
    Where's it on?

Pairc Ui Chaoimh

The Nire not helping themselves with the soft goals.

That was one poisonous game of ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Vincents -1 and McDonaghs in the Tipp football, just over 11/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

The reverse of aftertiming - thought Rhode were a great bet at 4/1 yesterday! :)
    Can't believe how much they flopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mjp

Football season starting back tomorrow so plenty of punting opportunities from now till next September. Can be tough to pick out teams in early pre season competitions but there is a chance to get an edge over bookies if you have good info on team selections which can be tough to find at this stage especially with the colleges involved.

Fancy galway(4/9)and ucd(8/15)tomorrow to take sligo and Carlow in respective games. Sligo and Carlow both have a lot of newcomers in named sides.

Also worth noting that st Mary's college Belfast have been punted from 9/4 yesterday in powers to even money against Antrim who have only 3 starters from last years championship in named side. Wouldn't take huge money to move this I would suspect but the students must fancy themselves.St Mary's got to ryan cup final this year where they lost to dcu in final so would be decent enough.

Be good to hear people's thoughts if they have any strong views on weekends matches

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement