Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭shmeee

mjp wrote: »
    Football season starting back tomorrow so plenty of punting opportunities from now till next September. Can be tough to pick out teams in early pre season competitions but there is a chance to get an edge over bookies if you have good info on team selections which can be tough to find at this stage especially with the colleges involved.

Fancy galway(4/9)and ucd(8/15)tomorrow to take sligo and Carlow in respective games. Sligo and Carlow both have a lot of newcomers in named sides.

Also worth noting that st Mary's college Belfast have been punted from 9/4 yesterday in powers to even money against Antrim who have only 3 starters from last years championship in named side. Wouldn't take huge money to move this I would suspect but the students must fancy themselves.St Mary's got to ryan cup final this year where they lost to dcu in final so would be decent enough.

Be good to hear people's thoughts if they have any strong views on weekends matches

Good to be back. Im following the money tomorrow and bet365 are kind to offer a market and give us some value compared to teams already punted on with other firms, 6 fold done out and pays 4 1/2 points bigger with bet365 than powers. Had a punt for value and interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Paddy power pricing on a favourite to win is fairly bad got. Same with the soccer. Not surprised they are worse priced for all but 1 of them teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Can anyone tell me the draw for next years all ire football semis ? It is always per ordained I.e this year it was munster v Connacht - what is it for 2015 ? Couldn't find it on gaa website. I know there is no guarantee that the prov champs will meet each other but the respective winners of the QFs will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Can anyone tell me the draw for next years all ire football semis ? It is always per ordained I.e this year it was munster v Connacht - what is it for 2015 ? Couldn't find it on gaa website. I know there is no guarantee that the prov champs will meet each other but the respective winners of the QFs will.

Ulster vs Munster.
    Leinster vs Connaught

shmeee wrote: »
    Good to be back. Im following the money tomorrow and bet365 are kind to offer a market and give us some value compared to teams already punted on with other firms, 6 fold done out and pays 4 1/2 points bigger with bet365 than powers. Had a punt for value and interest!

5 of the 6 win nicely bar St Mary's who went down by a point to Antrim. 1-7 to 0-9. Last minute winner. Pity now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Happy New Year. Tomorrow marks the start of former Waterford manager Michael Ryan's tenure as Westmeath boss. Not sure how successful it will prove to be but he has a good bit of experience managing teams at this stage.

They face Offaly in Mullingar who are coming off the back of a terrible year. Relegation final in the league where they had to come back from 9 points down v Kerry to win, one of the worst displays I've ever seen v Kilkenny and hammered by Tipp. The one redeeming feature was a win v Antrim. They should not be 1/3 shots for any match.

In this fixture 2 years ago in Kinnegad, Westmeath prevailed. Early season games hard to know what way they will go and how much work either side as done but bit of value for a small punt in this game I think.

Westmeath 11/4 (Paddy Power)

Happy New Year. Tomorrow marks the start of former Waterford manager Michael Ryan's tenure as Westmeath boss. Not sure how successful it will prove to be but he has a good bit of experience managing teams at this stage.

They face Offaly in Mullingar who are coming off the back of a terrible year. Relegation final in the league where they had to come back from 9 points down v Kerry to win, one of the worst displays I've ever seen v Kilkenny and hammered by Tipp. The one redeeming feature was a win v Antrim. They should not be 1/3 shots for any match.

In this fixture 2 years ago in Kinnegad, Westmeath prevailed. Early season games hard to know what way they will go and how much work either side as done but bit of value for a small punt in this game I think.

Westmeath 11/4 (Paddy Power) LOSE

No good

• Registered Users Posts: 46 LetsgoGAAGAA

Value bet Folks - I know the price has moved but i still think it's worth advising a small interest in Armagh to beat Tyrone tonight @ 11/10. There is already early season form between the pair to compare and traditionally Tyrone are very strong in the McKenna Cup which has created the value and the fact they beat armagh in the opening round.

Apart from that the price makes no sense - Reasons below

1. The bookies generally agree with my thinking that both have pretty similar chances of All Ireland Success this year.
    2. Armagh are at home
    3. Armagh have named a stronger side closer to their championship side than tyrone have.
    4. Key player from the opening round game Cathal McCarron is missing from the Tyrone line up tonight and that is key for me.
    5. Armagh looked to be on top in the opening game up until their 2nd sending off
    6. Kieran McGeeney takes these competitions just a seriously as Mickey Harte (kildare winning 2 of the last 3 O'Byrnes under McGeeney)

Everything points to armagh being overpriced and i'm very surprised that they are not at least 8/11 looking at all the information that is available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

It's early days for the league yet but I think Dublin at 5/6 to beat Cork looks to be decent value at this stage, even though Cork are at home on Sunday week. I'd be very surprised if that price doesn't move a bit as the game gets nearer.

Also Cork to be relegated at 15/8 looks like a possibility, especially as they have 4 away trips up north this year.

There's been lots of mutterings of discontent about Cuthbert and his selectors and while Cork look to have forwards, their midfield options are very limited and their defence is very suspect looking imo.

Another possible fancy for this weekend is UCC at 13/8 versus Waterford in the McGrath Cup - the one thing I'd be a bit wary of is that the McGrath cup might not be the main focus for UCC but they have a very decent looking squad of footballers and Billy Morgan over them. I'd say smaller stakes as an interest in this game.

Anyone else with any fancies as the league approaches?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Totally agree with the above!

Waterford may have beat Cork last week but we are totally in a mess at the moment - Cuthbert is so out of his depth its not funny!! UCC have some very capable footballers and a man in charge who knows how to win!

UCC to win 13/8 is a very nice price I think.

Cork to be relegated is also a distinct possibility and I might have a very serious bet on Dublin to come down and beat us, 5/6, We really are all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Geaney not playing for UCC I believe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

keane2097 wrote: »
    Geaney not playing for UCC I believe.

Sub apparently, but I would be shocked if he doesn't come on and cause some damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mjp

Powers originally priced up UCC @11/4 when they opened prices yesterday at lunchtime but was gone to 13/8 within an hour. Obviously didn't fancy UCC or weren't expecting a strong team from them with 1st round of sigerson on tuesday

Waterford were 2 up at ht, won by 9 in the end.
    Lots of changes to the college line up and geaney wasn't played. I would have liked to see a full strength team looking to win as I'm sure they could have. Sigerson game in a few days obviously took precedent for them.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Waterford were 2 up at ht, won by 9 in the end.
    Lots of changes to the college line up and geaney wasn't played. I would have liked to see a full strength team looking to win as I'm sure they could have. Sigerson game in a few days obviously took precedent for them.

UCC had 1 starter from the team that started against ITT last week and he was taken off at half-time. UCC pretty much threw their hand in from the get-go with an eye on the Sigerson game on Tuesday.

UCC are 4/11 to beat CIT on Tuesday and while it's pretty miserable odds in a two-horse race, I'd have a lot of faith in them to get the result once they have their first team out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Waterford footballers 7/1(PP) for the Division 4 football league. Going well already this year; beat Cork ,won McGrath cup and a new manager who got Cahir from nowhere to a Tipp county final last year. Think that price is too big in a fairly open division.

maximo31 wrote: »
    Waterford footballers 7/1(PP) for the Division 4 football league. Going well already this year; beat Cork ,won McGrath cup and a new manager who got Cahir from nowhere to a Tipp county final last year. Think that price is too big in a fairly open division.

12/1 betfair

12/1 betfair

That does look fairy tasty for a side that are motoring well, especially when you consider the opposition and the lack of a standout favourite. They had a nice spread of scorers in the UCC game with 10 different players getting on the scoreboard which is always a good sign.

However I'd be a bit wary about lumping on massively due to the fact that Waterford have only 3 home games in the league - their win last night over a much-weakened UCC team and the win over Cork were both home games. Offaly, Longford, London and Leitrim arent exactly the easiest places in the world to head to.

Also does anyone know what sort of state London are in ? I'd be wary of what a couple of transfers could do to their squad and they could be tricky depending on what the prevailing attitude in the camp is like.

I have heard that the Carlow setup is in a far better shape than last year with a fair few of their better footballers who werent involved last season, back in action.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    That does look fairy tasty for a side that are motoring well, especially when you consider the opposition and the lack of a standout favourite. They had a nice spread of scorers in the UCC game with 10 different players getting on the scoreboard which is always a good sign.

However I'd be a bit wary about lumping on massively due to the fact that Waterford have only 3 home games in the league - their win last night over a much-weakened UCC team and the win over Cork were both home games. Offaly, Longford, London and Leitrim arent exactly the easiest places in the world to head to.

Also does anyone know what sort of state London are in ? I'd be wary of what a couple of transfers could do to their squad and they could be tricky depending on what the prevailing attitude in the camp is like.

I have heard that the Carlow setup is in a far better shape than last year with a fair few of their better footballers who werent involved last season, back in action.

Positives for Waterford in Joey Veale and Podge Hurney committing this year and also getting Liam Lawlor from the hurlers. Paul Whyte is the best forward we have and he didn't play against Cork or UCC due to a hamstring. Leitrim won the FBD league two years in a row and couldn't go up, and Kerry being hammered by ITT says what you need to know about the pre season leagues.

But Waterford are a confidence team, and despite starting well have had one defeat rock them all top often. There is a precident for promotion though, and they were unlucky to come back down having won two games the following year against their closest rivals. Better leadership qualities this year too.

If the bet was to finish top of the division Id be more wary, but they can finish second and then win the final so at 12/1 would think it is a nice price alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Seems like the 12's are gone now from what i can see. 7's on Betfair now.
    Some great replies there lads. Cheers for that. Money is down now anyway so no turning back!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Any thoughts on tomorrows Sigerson games lads ?

14:00 GMIT v DIT

15:30 Trinity College Dublin v Athlone IT

19:00 Queens v Sligo IT

UCC had 1 starter from the team that started against ITT last week and he was taken off at half-time. UCC pretty much threw their hand in from the get-go with an eye on the Sigerson game on Tuesday.

UCC are 4/11 to beat CIT on Tuesday and while it's pretty miserable odds in a two-horse race, I'd have a lot of faith in them to get the result once they have their first team out again.

No surprise that UCC did the job with their first team back in action.

They'll be playing either Queens or Sigo IT on Feb 11 and UCC could well be worth backing again in that, especially after the game between Queens v Sligo which is tomorrow night is over. Neither have been all that impressive in the pre-season games so far [Queens did beat Derry but it was a very weakened looking Derry side] - Wouldnt like to pick a winner but I would guess it will be a low-scoring enough affair with Sligo IT having struggling a lot to get scores.

No surprise that UCC did the job with their first team back in action.

They'll be playing either Queens or Sigo IT on Feb 11 and UCC could well be worth backing again in that, especially after the game between Queens v Sligo which is tomorrow night is over. Neither have been all that impressive in the pre-season games so far [Queens did beat Derry but it was a very weakened looking Derry side] - Wouldnt like to pick a winner but I would guess it will be a low-scoring enough affair with Sligo IT having struggling a lot to get scores.

Sligo got the win here after extra-time 1-9 to 0-8

Lots of snow - I fancy UCC in the next round but will want to check the various lineups before committing to a bet.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2801152233-sigerson-cup-sligo-it-beat-queens-/

UL today @ 2/5? -3 @ 10/11

Anyone any info on teams or conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gavster1982

Tyrone 4/7
    Fermanagh 1/2

Looks a good double for Saturday night.

Tyrone 4/7
    Fermanagh 1/2

Looks a good double for Saturday night.

Jeez wait until the teams are named first lad and probably wait a bit to see the weather conditions as well - could easily have a bearing on some of the games.

Like the look of the Dublin team. Cork have a keeper who can't kick the ball well, a defence with a few players in the wrong position, a midfield that will not win enough ball for the forwards to do what some of them do very well.
    Add to that Cork have an absolute clueless manager and we look like we are going to struggle this year.

I'm on Dublin win 10/11 , -2 17/10 and a bit on -4 3/1

Delighted the season is upon us!
    Good luck all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

I like that Dublin bet and thought Clare to beat wex at home was worth an interest , did well in challenge last week against Kerry

I like that Dublin bet and thought Clare to beat wex at home was worth an interest , did well in challenge last week against Kerry

Clare beat UL and Austin Stacks in challenge games recently as well.

Looking at the odds Waterford at 10/11 at home to get the result looks worth a smallish punt as well, given their recent form.

• Advertisement

Clare beat UL and Austin Stacks in challenge games recently as well.

Looking at the odds Waterford at 10/11 at home to get the result looks worth a smallish punt as well, given their recent form.

The last time they played was quite funny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement