Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    It's very rare that a defender wins the award but at that price it's worth a small bet for sure.

Tommy Walsh the last defender to win it back in 2009 but it was won three times in a row by defenders from 2003 -- 2005 with JJ Delaney, Sean Óg and John Gardiner picking up the acolades.

I agree it's more likely to be a forward but with no one lighting it up this year, a defender could be the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Tommy Walsh the last defender to win it back in 2009 but it was won three times in a row by defenders from 2003 -- 2005 with JJ Delaney, Sean Óg and John Gardiner picking up the acolades.

I agree it's more likely to be a forward but with no one lighting it up this year, a defender could be the way to go.

Tj Reid would be the favourite in my opinion so far with Bubbles behind him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Worth noting too that if Kerry win the All-Ireland, David Moran is pretty much nailed on for the POTY award. They won't give it to James 2 years in a row and Moran has been getting almost too much praise in the media lately, especially after being overlooked for MOTM against Cork last time out.

Not sure about Kerry winning the AI, but I wasn't sure last year either. They'll more than definitely make it to the final at least. Moran can be got at 10/1 with Boyles

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

FatRat wrote: »
    Worth noting too that if Kerry win the All-Ireland, David Moran is pretty much nailed on for the POTY award. They won't give it to James 2 years in a row and Moran has been getting almost too much praise in the media lately, especially after being overlooked for MOTM against Cork last time out.

Not sure about Kerry winning the AI, but I wasn't sure last year either. They'll more than definitely make it to the final at least. Moran can be got at 10/1 with Boyles

Cheers, will have a bit of this. Still think the winner will come from the Dub v Mayo semi but Kerry have a chance and he is a great shout if they do win it.

Out of interest, does the FOTY award go to a player from a team that doesn't win it outright much?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Cheers, will have a bit of this. Still think the winner will come from the Dub v Mayo semi but Kerry have a chance and he is a great shout if they do win it.

Out of interest, does the FOTY award go to a player from a team that doesn't win it outright much?

B. Brogan got it in 2010 but that's the only one I can think off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

jjdonegal wrote: »
    B. Brogan got it in 2010 but that's the only one I can think off.

From 1995 to 2014 only 2 players from non AI winners have won POTY in either code. McDonnell in 2003 and Brogan 2010. In hurling Browne 08 and Shanahan 07.

hupskip wrote: »
    Donegal to beat Galway at 1/2 ... surely a lump job?

From a Galway POV anyway Donegal look underpriced.

That's not to say they shouldn't be favourites but I wouldn't go lower than 4/6.

Some of the arguments used against Galway aren't solid.

Lack of Croker experience isn't justified, played two games over the past two years and loads of them won an U21 there in 2011.

Croker experience isn't really a factor bar final day as it doesn't sell out and these lads have played in packed grounds against Mayo, so there's nothing to fear in a half empty Croker.

Granted we stayed in D2 but we could have won every game from another POV. Had dreadful halves in three games which cost wins and only one more win would have seen promotion.

Alan Mulholland leaving is another positive, he let his players man mark in defence which is suicide in todays game. Still achieved a certain amount with this obvious flaw.

Donegal should obviously win but they're no Dublin and Galway are no 2/1 shots against them.

I'll have a straight bet on Galway myself at those odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Dublin over 1.5 goals vs. Fermanagh @ 8/15 worth a lump....??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

From a Galway POV anyway Donegal look underpriced.

That's not to say they shouldn't be favourites but I wouldn't go lower than 4/6.

Some of the arguments used against Galway aren't solid.

Lack of Croker experience isn't justified, played two games over the past two years and loads of them won an U21 there in 2011.

Croker experience isn't really a factor bar final day as it doesn't sell out and these lads have played in packed grounds against Mayo, so there's nothing to fear in a half empty Croker.

Granted we stayed in D2 but we could have won every game from another POV. Had dreadful halves in three games which cost wins and only one more win would have seen promotion.

Alan Mulholland leaving is another positive, he let his players man mark in defence which is suicide in todays game. Still achieved a certain amount with this obvious flaw.

Donegal should obviously win but they're no Dublin and Galway are no 2/1 shots against them.

I'll have a straight bet on Galway myself at those odds.

Galway have shown nothing this year to say they should be anything other than big under dogs in this one.

While I think Galway will put in a decent performance I cant see past a comfortable Donegal win myself. I just think Donegal will be too physical for Galeway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

FatRat wrote: »

I hope Martin Carney has no in say in it or Moran is ****ed.Still can't believe he didn't give MOTM to Moran vs Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Tyrone -8 @ evens looks the best bet of the weekend for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Warper wrote: »
    Tyrone -8 @ evens looks the best bet of the weekend for me

If Tyrone were scoring goals I would agree with you but it looks just about right for me based on the two scoring points only. Sligo wont go out and try to play this time. I think the bands represent more value 7-9 is 7/2 and that looks a decent value bet.

Tyrone -6 is now 8-11 with PP and -7 is 10-11.

That -6 is pretty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

David Moran at 9's for MOTM on Sunday is an interesting one. A good performance and it wouldn't be a surprise to see RTE give it to him, given the flack received for not giving it to him against Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Same As wrote: »
    David Moran at 9's for MOTM on Sunday is an interesting one. A good performance and it wouldn't be a surprise to see RTE give it to him, given the flack received for not giving it to him against Cork.

He's 8's with pp. And 15/2 for player of the year! Love to know how they worked that one out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

dedaw wrote: »
    He's 8's with pp. And 15/2 for player of the year! Love to know how they worked that one out!

9's for MOTM available with Boyles since this evening anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

On UTV Sport tonight, Brendan Devaney just said that Michael Murphy will not play for Donegal tomorrow. That has to change things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

80s Child wrote: »
    On UTV Sport tonight, Brendan Devaney just said that Michael Murphy will not play for Donegal tomorrow. That has to change things.

Galway have given up a lot of frees in the championship - not having Murphy on the field has to be worth a few points to Galway. If he's out the focus for Galway is stopping McBrearty - do that and they have a serious chance. If Murphy is out and McBrearty is held, the odds of Galway winning jump significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

I think galway half time donegal full time at 11 to 2 is worth a small bet .khst think donegal might be a little cute for this young galway team on the end

Murphy confirmed 100% out for today's game. That has to be at least a 1 point swing in the hcap. Murphy is so key to Donegal's overall game that it might even be worth more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

On Galway now with MM out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Galway 2/1 on PP. Lacey and Murphy most likely missing from Donegal. This is the third Ulster team in a row for the tribesmen :D Heading up to it myself later!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Slattsy wrote: »
    On Galway now with MM out.

galway best price 5/2 with bookies, and 3.6 on betfair which is not better after commission, but I use an exchange called matchbook too and Galway are 3.7 on there so had a bit of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,499 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Galway @3.5 (5/2) on bet365...I'm a Donegal man and going to the game but head ruling the heart I cannot leave that price...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sboyle01

With Murphy out going to take the Under 29.5 in Donegal v Galway game. Should be a cagey enough game and Donegal now missing their long free kicker. evens on boyles.

Also taking the under 35.5 on the first game at 4/5 on Boyle's. Tyrone games are usually low scoring and hopefully Sligo will try to get some pride back after the last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Michael Lundy over 0.5 points EVS with PP.

Must be a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If Tyrone were scoring goals I would agree with you but it looks just about right for me based on the two scoring points only. Sligo wont go out and try to play this time. I think the bands represent more value 7-9 is 7/2 and that looks a decent value bet.

Well called sir, hope you took the bet...

That Sligo number 2 won't be getting any Christmas cards from the Tyrone -8 as he blocked both those goal bound efforts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Going for a draw in donegal match.

• Advertisement

skippymac6 wrote: »
    That Sligo number 2 won't be getting any Christmas cards from the Tyrone -8 as he blocked both those goal bound efforts!

Agreed, thankfully I went pretty big into the minus six @ 8-11 with pp as well. I was going mental watching that second half, the free at the end I thought the bet was screwed massive phew there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement