Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Strong team named by tipp with Callanan back and with Waterford missing shanahan the - 1 @ 10/11 on 365 looks good value.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Strong team named by tipp with Callanan back and with Waterford missing shanahan the - 1 @ 10/11 on 365 looks good value.

Heard Liam McGrath will start as Callanan not ready yet.

Was leaning towards Tipp this week, Shanahan a big loss. But theres no value in Tipp with Forde and Callanan out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

Galway -2 at 11/10 is a good bet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

fyi matchbook are starting to market the big gaa matches for example kerry v donegal today, liquidity with plenty 3.1+ on offer for donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Heard Liam McGrath will start as Callanan not ready yet.

Was leaning towards Tipp this week, Shanahan a big loss. But theres no value in Tipp with Forde and Callanan out.

Yeah Callanan pulled out this morning big lose.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭laoisman11

keane2097 wrote: »
    Like, there's a case there where you have a home favourite that the bookies are making an underdog at match odds - that has to be a bet.

Thanks for the suggestions - I've had a look in detail and it's actually worse than I thought. Basically, with the limit of 3 points difference that I've set, I've had 1 winner from 6 (1/2 cover the spread; 0/4 beat the spread). If I extend this to 2 points difference, I get a total of 9/22 (6/14 cover the spread; 3/8 beat the spread). At 1 point difference between the prediction and the spread, I'm at 24/46 (13/29 cover the spread; 11/17 beat the spread).

For info, 3 out of 5 home underdogs came through, as in the prediction model output was closer to the actual result than the bookies spread.

I'm particularly pissed off because it was going fairly well during the championship and was a small gold mine towards the end of last year's league (I was even putting on accumulators which is very unusual for me).

I'll put up this weekend's predictions, but I've lost faith in the output. Just Antrim to cover the spread against Waterford.

Team A|Team B|Model output|PP spread
    Down | Dublin |
    Fermanagh | Cavan |
    Limerick | Westmeath |
    Cork | Monaghan |
    Mayo | Kerry |
    Donegal | Roscommon |
    Laois | Derry |
    Meath | Tyrone |
    Armagh | Galway |
    Kildare | Sligo |
    Longford | Tipperary |
    Offaly | Clare |
    London | Leitrim |
    Antrim | Waterford |
    Carlow | Louth |
    Wexford | Wicklow |

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Tipp hurlers 11/1 with Ladbrokes for Sunday, any point backing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    At 11/1 I'd certainly throw a tenner on it

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

11/1 for what? It's not 11/1 to beat Galway.

Probs 11/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

It was online last night but quickly changed to 5/4. They wouldn't pay out on the 11/1 anyway.

It was online last night but quickly changed to 5/4. They wouldn't pay out on the 11/1 anyway.
    You'd be surprised. PP made a mistake on odds for a bet on a club match I did years ago. 10/1 instead of 1/10. I stuck £30 on it for ****s and giggles and they paid out. Mind you the bastards only won by a point!

laoisman11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions - I've had a look in detail and it's actually worse than I thought. Basically, with the limit of 3 points difference that I've set, I've had 1 winner from 6 (1/2 cover the spread; 0/4 beat the spread). If I extend this to 2 points difference, I get a total of 9/22 (6/14 cover the spread; 3/8 beat the spread). At 1 point difference between the prediction and the spread, I'm at 24/46 (13/29 cover the spread; 11/17 beat the spread).

For info, 3 out of 5 home underdogs came through, as in the prediction model output was closer to the actual result than the bookies spread.

I'm particularly pissed off because it was going fairly well during the championship and was a small gold mine towards the end of last year's league (I was even putting on accumulators which is very unusual for me).

I'll put up this weekend's predictions, but I've lost faith in the output. Just Antrim to cover the spread against Waterford.

Down | Dublin |
    Fermanagh | Cavan |
    Limerick | Westmeath |
    Cork | Monaghan |
    Mayo | Kerry |
    Donegal | Roscommon |
    Laois | Derry |
    Meath | Tyrone |
    Armagh | Galway |
    Kildare | Sligo |
    Longford | Tipperary |
    Offaly | Clare |
    London | Leitrim |
    Antrim | Waterford |
    Carlow | Louth |
    Wexford | Wicklow |

its a system your going run into some bad runs even on good ones

Down are pretty awful if its as dry and calm up in DOwn, Dublin should run riot any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

laoisman11 wrote: »

Down | Dublin |
    Fermanagh | Cavan |
    Limerick | Westmeath |
    Cork | Monaghan |
    Mayo | Kerry |
    Donegal | Roscommon |
    Laois | Derry |
    Meath | Tyrone |
    Armagh | Galway |
    Kildare | Sligo |
    Longford | Tipperary |
    Offaly | Clare |
    London | Leitrim |
    Antrim | Waterford |
    Carlow | Louth |
    Wexford | Wicklow |

When you say cover vs beat the spread?

I wouldn't be so disheartened with those results fwiw, as I said you only need to be just above 50% to be a winner and you might find over a larger sample you're OK.

The fact that you're very close to the bookie line on so many matches means the model is quite close. Stick with it, a small adjustment might be all you need.

What's your home advantage number at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Also of huge importance with gaa betting is that lines vary a lot between books. If you adjusted your results to best price rather than PP price you could easily be miles ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

manafana wrote: »
    fyi matchbook are starting to market the big gaa matches for example kerry v donegal today, liquidity with plenty 3.1+ on offer for donegal.

Just saw this too, looks like they are covering Top divisions for both codes only, some good prices too

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭laoisman11

keane2097 wrote: »
    When you say cover vs beat the spread?

I wouldn't be so disheartened with those results fwiw, as I said you only need to be just above 50% to be a winner and you might find over a larger sample you're OK.

The fact that you're very close to the bookie line on so many matches means the model is quite close. Stick with it, a small adjustment might be all you need.

What's your home advantage number at the moment?

Cover the spread = favourites win by more than expected; beat the spread = underdogs lose by less than expected.

Yeah, I'll have to take some time and try to fine tune this a bit. Home advantage didn't have any effect on the model so it is not included (I use a different calculation for the ranking output in the GAA thread which does take into account home advantage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Any thoughts on the club football final chaps? Was looking at a Ballyboden 1-3 pts win @ 19/4

Any thoughts on the club football final chaps? Was looking at a Ballyboden 1-3 pts win @ 19/4
    I'll be in a minor state of shock if BBSE win tbh

• Advertisement

armaghlad wrote: »

I don't know a whole lot about club football, but as a Mayoman I can never be confident about any of our sides winning in Croker...

I don't know a whole lot about club football, but as a Mayoman I can never be confident about any of our sides winning in Croker...
    Yous are a superstitious bunch ill give yas that much... I'm basing it on the fact BBSE have squeezed through games they should have been beaten in, not through their own resolve but the other tea f*cking it up. Castlebar have been here before and lost. I think they'll have learned something from that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

1/3 is shocking odds on a Mayo team in an All-Ireland final. Aside from that, Boden are a solid if unspectacular outfit and IMO have a far better chance than 11/4 against a team that shat the course in last years All-Ireland. Will be having a bit of BBSE +3.

Gone with a small bit on Castlebar/draw HT/FT. Expecting a close one...

armaghlad wrote: »
    Armaghlad as we speak:
    tumblr_inline_mzb8xnvnuY1riyuc2.gif

One thing I've learned following Mayo team for 30-odd years is you can never have too little confidence in their big-match prospects...

I've just recovered from my shock... ;)

Make no bones about it BBSE were full value for their 12 point win. But jesus CM were SH1TE! They just didn't turn up. I hadn't realised the Mayo curse extended to their club teams but seemingly it has manifested itself there now as well. I think even the Boden players whether they admit it or not know that was the easiest game they had all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,577 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Value spot. A Kilkenny and Galway double Sunday in the hurling is just over evs (PP). However KK to top 1A is 9/4, which is effectively the same outcome.

Galway looking to avoid a relegation play off and against a Waterford team with a lot of changes who are already through to the QF. kk and Dublin both through but KK at home there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mjp

Don't know where your seeing KK Galway double at Evs with powers as they 2/5 and 5/6 which pays just under 7/4 the double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,577 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

mjp wrote: »
    Don't know where your seeing KK Galway double at Evs with powers as they 2/5 and 5/6 which pays just under 7/4 the double.

2/5 and 4/7 now. Galway price went right in quickly after the Waterford team was named

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mjp

KevIRL wrote:
    2/5 and 4/7 now. Galway price went right in quickly after the Waterford team was named

Sorry didn't realise that. Still 11/10 with Boyles with double paying over 2's

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement