Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

People have any opinions on rhode v st vins . Am tempted by rhode plus 5 .

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

spurshero wrote: »
    People have any opinions on rhode v st vins . Am tempted by rhode plus 5 .

Not saying because I am an Offaly and I have no affiliation to Rhode GAA club,

But I 100% think they will win on Sunday. I think 4/1 is an insult to them IMO.

Obviously St Vincents are a top side but Rhode are a different animal this year.
    They lost the County Final to their rivals Edenderry in 2015, but since Pascal has taken them on this year they have a different steel about them.

Pascal has an unbelievable track record after wining a Leinster JFC & IFC With 2 different clubs as a manager.

Rhode's defending and tackling has improved big time this year and the forwards are linking up very intelligently.

They might be minus 2 of their starters due to been away with the Army but the Rhode bench is one that is full of lads with county medals in their pockets.

If they lose, well then thats sport, but I honestly 100% think they will win on Sunday and finally bring closure to the hurt of previous 4 final losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

biffo2014 wrote: »
    Not saying because I am an Offaly and I have no affiliation to Rhode GAA club,

But I 100% think they will win on Sunday. I think 4/1 is an insult to them IMO.

Obviously St Vincents are a top side but Rhode are a different animal this year.
    They lost the County Final to their rivals Edenderry in 2015, but since Pascal has taken them on this year they have a different steel about them.

Pascal has an unbelievable track record after wining a Leinster JFC & IFC With 2 different clubs as a manager.

Rhode's defending and tackling has improved big time this year and the forwards are linking up very intelligently.

They might be minus 2 of their starters due to been away with the Army but the Rhode bench is one that is full of lads with county medals in their pockets.

If they lose, well then thats sport, but I honestly 100% think they will win on Sunday and finally bring closure to the hurt of previous 4 final losses.

Rhode are good value at 4/1 if you want a speculative bet ,but unless Vincents have slipped back a good bit, I can see Rhode being bet.
    Who are the two players on army duty? As far as I know they are two key players and Rhode will need all their players to help them overcome Vincents.

Having said that, you never know and at 4/1 , they are worth 20e. I dont know if vincents are that good but they should be able for Rhode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Conditions could play a big part in this. If the weather is poor and wet, which it may well be, it could be very hard to beat Rhode by more than 4 points. You would think +5 at 10/11 is a decent bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

robbiezero wrote: »
    Conditions could play a big part in this. If the weather is poor and wet, which it may well be, it could be very hard to beat Rhode by more than 4 points. You would think +5 at 10/11 is a decent bet.

Rhode forwards are small enough so wet weather won't suit them, I would give them a better chance of beating Vincent's with a dry day. Saw Vincent's play in earlier rounds a they certainly did not look like world beaters. That said don't thing they have been out of 3rd gear yet and have won there games fairly comfortable if not spectacularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Yeah especially since Vincents haven't exactly been blowing away teams this year, more doing enough to get over the line.

Rhode forwards are small enough so wet weather won't suit them, I would give them a better chance of beating Vincent's with a dry day. Saw Vincent's play in earlier rounds a they certainly did not look like world beaters. That said don't thing they have been out of 3rd gear yet and have won there games fairly comfortable if not spectacularly

I think a dry day would suit both teams, Vincents like to kick the ball where possible especially early into their forward line, but if it is a very wet day, you could be looking at a scoreline of something like 11-9 etc, whereas on a dry day it is very hard to call it. Rhode could win it, Connolly could run amuck, Vincents could hammer em etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

Max bet Powers are laying online across all markets in the Slaughtneill vs St Kiernans game today is 10 quid it seems.:o

Happy to have a punt on Rhode the +5 handicap at 10/11 with Ladbrokes, and maybe a small double with Kiernans +9

I think a dry day would suit both teams, Vincents like to kick the ball where possible especially early into their forward line, but if it is a very wet day, you could be looking at a scoreline of something like 11-9 etc, whereas on a dry day it is very hard to call it. Rhode could win it, Connolly could run amuck, Vincents could hammer em etc.

Vincents comfortably the better side. Great game of football. Connolly different gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Vincents comfortably the better side. Great game of football. Connolly different gravy.

I would agree Vincents were the better side wouldn't say comfortably, Rhode held a lot of possession but gifted Vincents too many easy scores especially the goal which was a terrible mistake. Connolly was great scored a couple of brilliant points , I thought Varley was actually better on the day, was key in the goal and took some lovely scores. The missed penalty was a key moment in the game. The bookies fairly spot on with the line though -5.

Rhode probably not able to cope with losing two starters, hard for any team to cope with that but a small rural club even harder. Especially when both are county players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

Congrats to Vincents, super team and in Diarmuid Connolly they have one of the most natural forwards in recent times.

Rhode I felt played this one into vincents hands. Niall McNamee is brilliant at winning his own ball and finishing but yet Rhode decided to play a hand passing game!

1-4 of Vincents first half scores came from Turnovers. I cant fanthom when teams are down by 3+ points with a few minutes to go they still decide play a hand passing game? Kick the ball into the square - as the saying goes "your not gonna score with the ball in the midfield area"

The penalty was a deciding factor but the kepper did superb in saving it and been able to gather it and clear his lines. Rhode could of been 1 point down at HT but instead found themselves 5 points down.

It must be gut wrenching losing 5 provincial finals in fairness. Feel sorry a lot of them who were on all 5 losing teams.

Also - Anton is a county player but Jake has never played inter county Senior for Offaly (Minor & u21 alright)

biffo2014 wrote: »
    Congrats to Vincents, super team and in Diarmuid Connolly they have one of the most natural forwards in recent times.

Rhode I felt played this one into vincents hands. Niall McNamee is brilliant at winning his own ball and finishing but yet Rhode decided to play a hand passing game!

1-4 of Vincents first half scores came from Turnovers. I cant fanthom when teams are down by 3+ points with a few minutes to go they still decide play a hand passing game? Kick the ball into the square - as the saying goes "your not gonna score with the ball in the midfield area"

The penalty was a deciding factor but the kepper did superb in saving it and been able to gather it and clear his lines. Rhode could of been 1 point down at HT but instead found themselves 5 points down.

It must be gut wrenching losing 5 provincial finals in fairness. Feel sorry a lot of them who were on all 5 losing teams.

Also - Anton is a county player but Jake has never played inter county Senior for Offaly (Minor & u21 alright)

I didn't think it was to be honest. I thought Vincents controlled the match and never really looked in any danger. They took their 5 point lead out to 8 and spent the last 10 minutes just seeing out the game. I thought they could have pushed on at any stage had the need arisen. Had Rhode scored the penalty, they might have beaten the handicap, but I couldn't see them going on to win the game against a superior outfit. Rhode made crucial mistakes, but a lot of that was down to the workrate of Vincents, in particular their forwards tackled very effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I didn't think it was to be honest. I thought Vincents controlled the match and never really looked in any danger. They took their 5 point lead out to 8 and spent the last 10 minutes just seeing out the game. I thought they could have pushed on at any stage had the need arisen. Had Rhode scored the penalty, they might have beaten the handicap, but I couldn't see them going on to win the game against a superior outfit. Rhode made crucial mistakes, but a lot of that was down to the workrate of Vincents, in particular their forwards tackled very effectively.

Well that's your opinion fair enough. In my view if Rhode score the penalty it's a one point game. Which is completely different. Rhode can then be content to hold possession and just try to get the ball to McNamee to pick up a point here and there. He was top class yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

BWin have Ulster priced at 6/5 for the Railway Cup football, 8/11 with PP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    BWin have Ulster priced at 6/5 for the Railway Cup football, 8/11 with PP.

it opened at 6/5 on PP, not that it matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Same As wrote: »
    It's a long way out but the NFL & NHL divisions have been priced up.

I'm confident that Westmeath will have a change of fortunes in Division 4 following 3 straight relegations, they're priced at 6/5. I'll have a few quid there.

I also like the look of Derry as an e/w bet in NFL Division 2 at 9/1. They're a superior outfit to both Meath and Kildare on their day, while Cork football is in a dark enough place. Admittedly all is not rosy in Derry from an inter-county perspective but I don't make them 6th favourites for this division and 3/1 to reach a final is a good bet imo.

Early days, but the story in derry is that at a number of last year's panel are not making themselves available, including probably their most impressive player last year, Daniel Heaveron.
    May change closer to the time of course, and I'll update in a month's time, when I should get a chance to talk to a few closer to the panel.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2016/10/01/news/key-players-to-opt-out-of-derry-setup-715413/
    Just to update this, local media are reporting that Danny Heavron has been back with the panel for a few weeks, Mark Lynch has also re-committed.  I still wouldn't back them, but the feeling is there's a bit of young blood finally starting to come through again from a few decent colleges and underage teams of the past few years, so the picture may not be as gloomy as it often appears.  Note of course, that the Slaughtneil contingent won't be available until at least the 3rd or 4th league game which would be a futher blow to their hopes of promotion, I think Derry will be happy to retain their status this year, anything else would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ciaran1988

With the action returning this weekend anyone have any early thoughts or tips

Connacht SFL round 1
    Roscommon v IT Sligo, Boyle 2pm
    Mayo v NUIG, MacHale Park, 2pm
    Sligo v Galway, Enniscrone, 2pm
    Leitrim v GMIT, Mohill, 2pm

O'Byrne Cup round 1
    Dublin v DCU, Parnell Park, 2pm
    Wexford v UCD, Gorey, 2.30pm
    Offaly v IT Carlow, Geashill (Raheen GAA), 2pm
    Meath v Wicklow, Pairc Tailteann, 2pm
    Laois v DIT, Crettyard, 2pm
    Westmeath v Louth, Cusack Park, 2pm
    Carlow v NUI Maynooth, Netwatch Cullen Park, 2pm

McGrath Cup round 1
    Kerry v Tipperary, Austin Stack Park, 2pm
    Clare v Waterford, Meelick, 2pm

McKenna Cup round 1
    Down v Queens, Downpatrick, 2pm
    Derry v Armagh, Owenbeg, 2pm
    Antrim v St Mary's, Glenavy, 2pm
    Monaghan v Fermanagh, Clones, 2pm
    Cavan v Tyrone, Breffni Park, 2pm
    Donegal v UUJ, MacCumhaill Park, 2pm

Walsh Cup round 1
    Galway v DIT, Ballinasloe, 2pm
    Laois v NUIG, Abbeyleix, 2pm
    Westmeath v Antrim, Kinnegad, 2pm
    Wexford v UCD, Gorey, 12.45pm
    Meath v Offaly, Trim, 2pm
    Kildare v IT Carlow, Newbridge, 2pm

Munster SHL round 1
    Cork v Kerry, Mallow, 2pm
    Waterford v Limerick, Fraher Field, 2pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

ciaran1988 wrote: »
    With the action returning this weekend anyone have any early thoughts or tips

Connacht SFL round 1
    Roscommon v IT Sligo, Boyle 2pm
    Mayo v NUIG, MacHale Park, 2pm
    Sligo v Galway, Enniscrone, 2pm
    Leitrim v GMIT, Mohill, 2pm

O'Byrne Cup round 1
    Dublin v DCU, Parnell Park, 2pm
    Wexford v UCD, Gorey, 2.30pm
    Offaly v IT Carlow, Geashill (Raheen GAA), 2pm
    Meath v Wicklow, Pairc Tailteann, 2pm
    Laois v DIT, Crettyard, 2pm
    Westmeath v Louth, Cusack Park, 2pm
    Carlow v NUI Maynooth, Netwatch Cullen Park, 2pm

McGrath Cup round 1
    Kerry v Tipperary, Austin Stack Park, 2pm
    Clare v Waterford, Meelick, 2pm

McKenna Cup round 1
    Down v Queens, Downpatrick, 2pm
    Derry v Armagh, Owenbeg, 2pm
    Antrim v St Mary's, Glenavy, 2pm
    Monaghan v Fermanagh, Clones, 2pm
    Cavan v Tyrone, Breffni Park, 2pm
    Donegal v UUJ, MacCumhaill Park, 2pm

Walsh Cup round 1
    Galway v DIT, Ballinasloe, 2pm
    Laois v NUIG, Abbeyleix, 2pm
    Westmeath v Antrim, Kinnegad, 2pm
    Wexford v UCD, Gorey, 12.45pm
    Meath v Offaly, Trim, 2pm
    Kildare v IT Carlow, Newbridge, 2pm

Munster SHL round 1
    Cork v Kerry, Mallow, 2pm
    Waterford v Limerick, Fraher Field, 2pm

No odds up yet on Boyle Sports.
    I'll be keeping an eye out for the Mayo v NUIG game.
    Mayo won the corresponding fixture last year by 2 points. Most of the Mayo senior panel are currently away on team holiday. The u21's are playing Saturday so don't know if there'll be many of those starting for the NUIG game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,577 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nuig 2/1 on PP

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

cocoman wrote: »
    Mayo won the corresponding fixture last year by 2 points. Most of the Mayo senior panel are currently away on team holiday. The u21's are playing Saturday so don't know if there'll be many of those starting for the NUIG game.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/29197-new-faces-get-their-chance-for-mayo

5/2 on Bwin

Edit: PP had opened up at 10/3 and Bwin at 7/2, so money has obviously come on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

U-21 game is off so that might change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Some mad looking odds Donegal 13/2 against Ulster uni Dublin 7/5 v DCU ,NUIG are as low as 1/2 to beat Mayo ,guessing the teams will be inexperienced or hardly played together before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

seanhynes wrote: »
    Some mad looking odds Donegal 13/2 against Ulster uni Dublin 7/5 v DCU ,NUIG are as low as 1/2 to beat Mayo ,guessing the teams will be inexperienced or hardly played together before

I was told Donegal seniors are taking a break and have entered their U21 team into McKenna cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

NUIG are 4/5 now on Powers and Mayo 5/4

Threw this Accum together after a bit of research on various county/national websites.

GAA Bets
    NUIG to beat Mayo 4/5 on Paddy Power
    26 of Mayos All Ireland Panel are away on Holidays. From the starting 15 only the Goalkeeper remains. MayoNews.ie reports that a number of Club players have been brought in and will make their Senior Debuts tomorrow. Mayo team will be made up mostly of Lesser Club Players and players from the u21 panel. NUIG have been backed in over the last few days and should have too much for this Depleted Mayo side.

Tipperary to Beat Kerry - 6/5 in Boyles
    “While this is a senior fixture, Kerry will be represented on this occasion by a team drawn from the Under-21 panel who are training for the Munster Under-21 championship that commences on March 8 with a home game against Clare.” 11 from last year’s 21s panel are eligible. Tipperary are very much a team on the up and would be the 3rd best team in Munster by my reckoning. They got to a munster final last year and got to an All Ireland Semi Final. Tipp only lost to Mayo by 5 points and put in a great performance. Tipp should have the physicality to handle the U21s of Kerry,

Limerick to beat Waterford (Hurling) 4/6 on Bet365
    Limerick have named a very strong team and look set to have a good year. I was at a challenge game before Christmas and there was some great hurling played. They beat Dublin also before Christmas and 4/6 is a fair price. Darragh Fives is out for Waterford who is their only main injury concern. Waterford will be a very young team with most still on the 21s panel. Their selector Dan Shanahan said “We’re trying out a lot of lads at the moment, to see can a few make it up to the grade” Limerick should have too much for these.

DCU to beat Dublin 8/11
    Dublin are All Ireland Champions and as a reward for that most of their team are on a holiday in Jamaica as a reward for winning the Sam Maguire Cup in 2016. Paul Clarke will manage the team in the absence of Jim Gavin, and will have little option but to experiment for their opening match against DCU because the core of the panel are overseas. DCU will be taking this seriously as prepation for the Sigerson cup will be in full flow. They’ll reckon they have a fair crack of winning it this year and are 4th favorites for the completion.

Boylesports best price on Accum @ 10.34
    Paddy Power Next best @ 8.80
    Bet365 @ 7.02

Threw this Accum together after a bit of research on various county/national websites.

GAA Bets
    NUIG to beat Mayo 4/5 on Paddy Power
    26 of Mayos All Ireland Panel are away on Holidays. From the starting 15 only the Goalkeeper remains. MayoNews.ie reports that a number of Club players have been brought in and will make their Senior Debuts tomorrow. Mayo team will be made up mostly of Lesser Club Players and players from the u21 panel. NUIG have been backed in over the last few days and should have too much for this Depleted Mayo side.

Tipperary to Beat Kerry - 6/5 in Boyles
    “While this is a senior fixture, Kerry will be represented on this occasion by a team drawn from the Under-21 panel who are training for the Munster Under-21 championship that commences on March 8 with a home game against Clare.” 11 from last year’s 21s panel are eligible. Tipperary are very much a team on the up and would be the 3rd best team in Munster by my reckoning. They got to a munster final last year and got to an All Ireland Semi Final. Tipp only lost to Mayo by 5 points and put in a great performance. Tipp should have the physicality to handle the U21s of Kerry,

Limerick to beat Waterford (Hurling) 4/6 on Bet365
    Limerick have named a very strong team and look set to have a good year. I was at a challenge game before Christmas and there was some great hurling played. They beat Dublin also before Christmas and 4/6 is a fair price. Darragh Fives is out for Waterford who is their only main injury concern. Waterford will be a very young team with most still on the 21s panel. Their selector Dan Shanahan said “We’re trying out a lot of lads at the moment, to see can a few make it up to the grade” Limerick should have too much for these.

DCU to beat Dublin 8/11
    Dublin are All Ireland Champions and as a reward for that most of their team are on a holiday in Jamaica as a reward for winning the Sam Maguire Cup in 2016. Paul Clarke will manage the team in the absence of Jim Gavin, and will have little option but to experiment for their opening match against DCU because the core of the panel are overseas. DCU will be taking this seriously as prepation for the Sigerson cup will be in full flow. They’ll reckon they have a fair crack of winning it this year and are 4th favorites for the completion.

Boylesports best price on Accum @ 10.34
    Paddy Power Next best @ 8.80
    Bet365 @ 7.02

Tipp team is fairly experimental too. Only 2/3 players that would have played against Mayo last year. They have a few on the bench and might still have enough to over come an u21 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Without some decent knowledge of lineouts, players and especially, motivation, it's tough to call any game this time. Those price moves will indicate money, but you'd be surprised by how little it takes to move a price in games such as these, no joking, but a 20 here or there could be enough to highlight a discrepancy and alteration by the traders.
    Definitely opportunities if you are informed, but for the most part, better wait until the league kicks off.

NUIG beat Mayo
    Limerick beat Waterford

Other 2 selections losers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Cheers for this, I was able to get 5/2. Bwin limited me to a max stake of 28e

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement