Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I know Tipp are unsure about Quinlivan but I think 2/1 for them away to Cavan might well be good value on Saturday week.

Cavan were very average against Monaghan (who had 16 wides that day) and I listened to the Cavan Offaly game last night on Northern Sound and Cavan sounded very unimpressive for long spells - I know it's harder to judge a game on the radio but Offaly were well in the game for long periods and it was only the 3rd quarter where Cavan were on top and opened up an 8 point lead with the goal they got being a vital score. Offaly got the last 4 points to narrow the gap.

Combine this with the fact that Offaly's 2 previous performances were a draw against Westmeath and an 11 point beating by Westmeath plus distinctly mixed form in Division 3.

Tipp got promoted in the league whereas Cavan got relegated and both will be in Division 2 next year. Maybe keep an eye out to see what sort of team Tipp name but I wouldn't be surprised if the price narrowed a bit.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I know Tipp are unsure about Quinlivan but I think 2/1 for them away to Cavan might well be good value on Saturday week.

Cavan were very average against Monaghan (who had 16 wides that day) and I listened to the Cavan Offaly game last night on Northern Sound and Cavan sounded very unimpressive for long spells - I know it's harder to judge a game on the radio but Offaly were well in the game for long periods and it was only the 3rd quarter where Cavan were on top and opened up an 8 point lead with the goal they got being a vital score. Offaly got the last 4 points to narrow the gap.

Combine this with the fact that Offaly's 2 previous performances were a draw against Westmeath and an 11 point beating by Westmeath plus distinctly mixed form in Division 3.

Tipp got promoted in the league whereas Cavan got relegated and both will be in Division 2 next year. Maybe keep an eye out to see what sort of team Tipp name but I wouldn't be surprised if the price narrowed a bit.

Am confident Tipp will go well . Willie Connors is back and O`Shaughnessy maybe one or two others . Tipp will have a stronger team than what played Cork !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Dublin hurlers -7 against Laois at evens, Laois likely to be without Cha Dwyer, Ross King, Picky Maher and Willie Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

11 to 4 in Boyles

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭pablo24

Same As wrote: »
    The -3 @ 10/11 on Galway vs Wexford this weekend looks the bet to me. Expect the game to be close but Galway to pull away.

Agree completely with this, the -3 at 10/11 is very generous. I think they'll be relatively comfortable winners myself. Galway in Croke Park will be a different story. Wexford could have had 2 reds for the repeated fouling of fennelly, they'll have more than one forward to deal with the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Quinlivan is the key here. He is in the top 5 forwards in the country imo and if he plays then that swings it to Tipp for me. Cavan were playing a defensively poor Division 3 Offaly side who were playing their 3rd game in 3 weeks and had focused all their efforts into the Westmeath games yet still only won by 4. I'd rate Quinlivan as high as McManus and believe if he and Sweeney play then they'll have too much for Cavan who are sorely missing a top scoring forward themselves.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Dublin hurlers -7 against Laois at evens, Laois likely to be without Cha Dwyer, Ross King, Picky Maher and Willie Dunphy.

-9 at evens with PP now, -7 5/6 on 365 still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    -9 at evens with PP now, -7 5/6 on 365 still.

Boyles going -10. -7 @ 5/6 looking like value.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Boyles going -10. -7 @ 5/6 looking like value.

Boyles have Tipp at -21 10/11, compared to PP's -24 10/11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

Kerry Juniors playing Cork in Cork tonight. They have a very strong panel, have been backed from an opening 2/5 now 1/7. Cork do have some lads who have been on the fringes of the Cork seniors from my memory, the likes of Histon and Taylor who is on the bench. Anyone from Cork have any feedback on the rest of the team?

• Advertisement

Kerry Juniors playing Cork in Cork tonight. They have a very strong panel, have been backed from an opening 2/5 now 1/7. Cork do have some lads who have been on the fringes of the Cork seniors from my memory, the likes of Histon and Taylor who is on the bench. Anyone from Cork have any feedback on the rest of the team?

Kerry ended up 1/10 before the game and won after ET. Wonder will it be as close this weekend in the Seniors. Despite how poor Cork have been this season, the +7 point handicap available could be worth taking on. Form has often had little bearing on the outcome of this fixture.

Canning, Whelan and Conor Cooney all to score 2 points or more at 11/8 with PP, Canning is a cert on the frees alone and the other 2 are in fine form this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Quinlivan is the key here. He is in the top 5 forwards in the country imo and if he plays then that swings it to Tipp for me. Cavan were playing a defensively poor Division 3 Offaly side who were playing their 3rd game in 3 weeks and had focused all their efforts into the Westmeath games yet still only won by 4. I'd rate Quinlivan as high as McManus and believe if he and Sweeney play then they'll have too much for Cavan who are sorely missing a top scoring forward themselves.

Quinlivan confirmed out in the examiner today. Tipp also missing a few others. Cavan now look good at 1/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Quinlivan confirmed out in the examiner today. Tipp also missing a few others. Cavan now look good at 1/2.

I wouldnt say cavan now liik good at 1/2, they were terrible against offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 16 WhiteWidow67

The -3 @ 10/11 on Galway vs Wexford this weekend looks the bet to me. Expect the game to be close but Galway to pull away.

-3 now 8/11 with boyles

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Kerry ended up 1/10 before the game and won after ET. Wonder will it be as close this weekend in the Seniors. Despite how poor Cork have been this season, the +7 point handicap available could be worth taking on. Form has often had little bearing on the outcome of this fixture.

+7 could be a bit big all right. Kerry will probably be hoping to do just enough to win while leaving plenty in the tank.

Kilkenny are once again way too short this weekend at 2/7. I'm not all that confident Limerick will beat them but -1 at 9/2 is serious value. The demise of this Kilkenny team is, for once, not being exaggerated. They are in serious trouble and will struggle to beat Limerick if at all. I'll wait to see the team (if we see it at all before throw in) before making any large bets but depending on who's available and what positions they're played in Limerick could become very backable. Already Limerick +5 is a decent bet as Kilkenny would struggle to outscore almost any top team by 5 points this year.

I also have a feeling Waterford are going to become ultra defensive again after conceding a fairly big score to Cork last time out. Again I'll wait to see the teams but Offaly +13 is tempting already. Offaly can get annihilated by teams like Tipp and Galway who have lethal forward lines and play an attacking game, but I think they can keep it tight against a defensive Waterford.

With all the upset and controversy regarding Tipperary lately I'm not sure they justify a 24 point handicap against Westmeath either. Westmeath often bang in a few goals against better teams and this one could be closer than 24 points.

Laois are missing a lot of key players for the game against Dublin which is a pity, as it could have been a chance for an upset. But often times when Laois lose they lose badly. Again, team selection will decide what bets I place for this one but in terms of handicaps I'd be leaning towards Dublin -10 at this point. At the same time Dublin are struggling too so I mightn't bet in this one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

I would have to disagree with the above, I think Kilkenny could give Limerick a bit of a beating the weekend. Their demise is definitely being exaggerated and they will be out to prove a point in front of their own fans. They wont encounter anywhere near the same intensity and physicality of that in Wexford park and Colin Fennelly could do major damage on Richie Mc if given quality ball.

Kilkenny -4 at 10/11 and C Fennelly anytime at 13/8 are the bets for me.

The Waterford game is interesting. We wouldn't be massive scorers but I do expect us to win comfortably. PP have the total points market at 49.5 at the moment. I wouldn't expect Offaly to put up a big score and with the weather poor all week, conditions may be tough. Id wait until the other bookies have it priced, but I would be very interested in the unders market here.

Under 49.5 - 4/6

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Unfortunately as a Kilkenny supporter I definitely feel that this years team will not give anyone a bad beating. If Limerick put McCarthy on Fennelly I'd agree 13/8 anytime for him is a good price.

To go a little further into depth on my reasoning regarding Kilkenny, there are numerous factors which are causing such poor performances lately, none of which I can see rectified this weekend.

The big one is the unsettles nature of the team. Most counties at this point will know the 18/19 players they'll pick from and the positions they'll play. This is important for any team, as its impossible to practice a game plan if everyone is changing positions and personnel week in week out. There are about 25 players kilkenny could use Saturday and some of them in a wide array of positions. Example being Padraig Walsh, who could end up full back or centre forward. At this level there isn't a player in the country who could switch between those positions and perform well.

The forward line is all over the place with some key players losing form. Others have not had enough game time this year to get up to speed. Ger Aylward an Kevin Kelly are two quality forwards but simply haven't played enough competitive games to be effective. Walter Walsh has lost form completely and is limited technically to begin with.

Richie Hogan pulled the strings for the attack for the last few years but unfortunately he's crippled with injuries at the moment and just can't get around quick enough. Looking at kilkenny games in 2014/15 he was scoring a lot every game and involved in most scores but this year he's just not involved in the play.

Reid has also been a huge part of the team but has lost some form and is now a marked man by all opposition. He's the type of player that can win a game on his own but with the lack of threat from the rest of kilkenny forwards teams can put a lot of resources towards stopping him.

The lack of pace in the back line is also worrying. While I never put much faith in the size of a pitch being a factor, Nowlan Park is bigger than most and if space really can be exploited, then the Kilkenny back line is one it would work against. Lennon, Joyce, O Shea and Murphy are all poor when turned and there aren't many viable replacements for them.

I could probably go on all day with my reasoning, and in a lot of ways I hope I'm wrong but the more I think about this Kilkenny team the less optimistic I am.

If they do win easily I'll happily eat humble pie, but my pocket will definitely be hit as I will definitely be backing Limerick to at least keep it very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

After seeing Limerick team I wouldn't give us much hope vs Kilkenny.

Conceded 3-17 vs Clare and it's the same 6 backs as the Clare game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

After seeing Limerick team I wouldn't give us much hope vs Kilkenny.

Conceded 3-17 vs Clare and it's the same 6 backs as the Clare game

Any idea about what happened to the Limerick team that nearly created an upset against Kilkenny a few years back? They looked an exciting prospect.

• Advertisement

Jennings...

Football:

Under 20.5 Mayo points
    2pts Evs BoyleSports

No Mayo goal
    1pt 7-2 BoyleSports

Over 2.5 goals in Meath v Sligo
    2pts 11-8 Paddy Power

Clare -1
    2pts 11-8 general

Donegal to win and not to concede a goal
    2pts 6-5 Paddy Power

Hurling:

Limerick -1
    2pts 9-2 BoyleSports, Ladbrokes, Paddy Power

Under 17.5 Offaly points
    3pts Evs BoyleSports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Jennings...

Football:

Under 20.5 Mayo points
    2pts Evs BoyleSports

No Mayo goal
    1pt 7-2 BoyleSports

2pts 11-8 Paddy Power

Clare -1
    2pts 11-8 general

Donegal to win and not to concede a goal
    2pts 6-5 Paddy Power

Hurling:

Limerick -1
    2pts 9-2 BoyleSports, Ladbrokes, Paddy Power

Under 17.5 Offaly points
    3pts Evs BoyleSports

No Mayo goal would be dodgy I'd reckon.

Kyle Hayes over 1.5 points at evens with Boyles, PP has him over 2.5 at 6/5.

I've gone for Derry +6, Limerick +5 and Westmeath +24.

I'm not convinced on Derry but it's on T.V. and six points is a decent lead plus Mayo haven't the best forwards.

I think KK are vulnerable, we've seen it enough over the past two years so wouldn't surprise me to see Limerick really drive that home for those still on the fence.

I really like Westmeath though. 24 is a huge headstart and Tipp have been fairly cack this year.
    They'll likely need 3/4 goals min to top that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Danick wrote: »
    Any idea about what happened to the Limerick team that nearly created an upset against Kilkenny a few years back? They looked an exciting prospect.

We're still trying to work that out in Limerick.

Im a bit more optimistic about our chances later on compared to earlier in the week. If Limerick run @ KK they'll cause problems. Dowling needs to be on form with the frees. If we're still in touch at HT it'll be an interesting 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Westmeath +24 is a good bet.

I would have had it at + 18 myself

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canning, Whelan and Conor Cooney to score 2 pts or more each @11/8 on PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

We're still trying to work that out in Limerick.

Im a bit more optimistic about our chances later on compared to earlier in the week. If Limerick run @ KK they'll cause problems. Dowling needs to be on form with the frees. If we're still in touch at HT it'll be an interesting 2nd half

It is definitely the pick of the games today - I'd love to see ye beat KK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I think Clare at evens is worth a bit of a punt, even if it is in Portlaoise.

Laois got relegated to Division 4 in the league with just 2 wins, whereas Clare survived in Division 2.

In the championship so far Laois's results are

Laois 4-15 Longford 0-16
    Kildare 1-21 Laois 1-7
    Wicklow 3-10 Laois 2-16

Basically they have got score against 2 teams with poor defences; however when they came up against a serious and organised outfit in Kildare they got just 8 scores. Conceding 3-10 to them (even if there was 2 late goals, is a poor sign for me) The Clare defence by comparison has performed well in Division 2

Wicklow were shocking in the league (they won 1 game against London) and their average losing margin was almost 7 points (this against the rest of the Division 4 opppsition)

They lost by 5 points to Louth in the first round (the same Louth who lost by 8 to Longford)

Also in the league Clare only lost to Kildare by a point in Kildare (this was at the end of March)

Clare don't have much in the way of squad depth but their starting lineup has a fair few decent intercounty players. By comparison Laois have Kingston but not a whole lot more after. Clare put in a fairly decent performance against Kerry, but they didn't get much in the way of breaks and Kerry's options off the bench made a big difference.

10 point winner ;)

Depending on who Clare get in the draw (and whether they are at home) might be worth backing them again in the next round.
    Having said that Laois sounded very poor.

• Advertisement

Jennings...

Football:

Under 20.5 Mayo points
    2pts Evs BoyleSports
    +2

No Mayo goal
    1pt 7-2 BoyleSports

2pts 11-8 Paddy Power