Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Dickie9 wrote: »
    Thinking bout backing dingle!

Would not recommend at 3/1.

Dingle destroyed East Kerry's midfield the last day and it gave them a huge platform to work from; I really can't see them doing that to Crokes, who have better midfielders than East Kerry and a keeper whose kickouts are a good bit ahead of Kealy. Dingle are just too reliant on Paul Geaney especially compared to Crokes who have an array of scorers.

While Crokes haven't been as impressive as previous years, there still a damm hard team to beat and their bench would look to be a good bit ahead of Dingle's in terms of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Whiteshorts1

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Would not recommend at 3/1.

Dingle destroyed East Kerry's midfield the last day and it gave them a huge platform to work from; I really can't see them doing that to Crokes, who have better midfielders than East Kerry and a keeper whose kickouts are a good bit ahead of Kealy. Dingle are just too reliant on Paul Geaney especially compared to Crokes who have an array of scorers.

While Crokes haven't been as impressive as previous years, there still a damm hard team to beat and their bench would look to be a good bit ahead of Dingle's in terms of quality.

Geaney could go to town on crokes full back and they have a weak link starting the managers son daithi Casey not been brilliant best so far. Dingle were very good the last Gooch not starting and obviously not the player he was. I wouldn't fancy laying 3/1 but Crokes will be hard to beat Buckley and Crokes full forward line have been very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

CapsLock20 wrote: »

True. It's hard most of the time to gauge teams in these competitions but can be interesting too. I'll never forget the time I backed Twomilehouse at 9/4 to beat Meath champions Drumbaragh in the Leinster junior. PP had Drumbaragh as 4/9 favourites based purely on their county's record in the competition. TMH went on to win the All Ireland. That was five years ago though. PP have raised their game since.

Yeah that was easy money, game was over after 10 minutes. But don’t think PP priced it at that because of the record in the competition. Game was in Navan and TMH had had 2 men sent off in the kildare so couldn’t play but for those in the know it was a beautiful sight that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Mountbellew Moylough +6 1/1 Boylesports

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭CapsLock20

Dots1982 wrote: »

Yeah that was easy money, game was over after 10 minutes. But don’t think PP priced it at that because of the record in the competition. Game was in Navan and TMH had had 2 men sent off in the kildare so couldn’t play but for those in the know it was a beautiful sight that price.

Would be lovely to get another one of those! Still no odds on this weekend's Leinster junior games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭grattanspuds

Anyone know anything about longwood the Meath intermediate champions?

Anyone know anything about longwood the Meath intermediate champions?

Longwood won their first Meath IFC title in 76 years when beating Ballinlough in the final four weeks ago. They would've been seen as rank outsiders at the start of the season having contested the previous three relegation play offs. They don't have any marquee inter county players like Declan Byrne in particular but county defender Mickey Burke aka the Honey Badger is the heart beat of the team which is built around an effective defensive game plan and a hard work ethic. Chris and Eoin Lynch wouldn't be far off the county panel. Both those lads have been excellent in the centre of defence. Ryan Moore is a classy player at centre forward. His distribution and free taking ability is vital. Inside men Wayne Leonard and Aaron Ennis are other big players for the Wood. They only use two-three subs max a game which suggests they wouldn't have a strong bench. Hurling has been number 1 in Longwood over the past while but they've very capable footballers. Longwood have history with St Mochtas as both teams met in the 2009 Leinster JFC final which the Wood won after extra time.

I don't mean to take over thread but the curtain raiser at O'Connor Park on Saturday is between Offaly intermediate runners up St Brigid's and Meath junior runners up St Vincent's. So here you have two teams who haven't won their county championship meeting in the Leinster junior. St Brigid's were beaten by Ferbane's second string in the Offaly IFC final replay which was played on Sunday. They haven't much time to sober up and they won't be training this week. St Vincent's were beaten by a fairly strong Dunboyne second string in the Meath JFC final after extra time five weeks ago. They've had plenty of time to recover and are training for a crack at Leinster. No odds available yet but I'd expect St Vincent's to be short favourites.

Prices are in and St Vincent's at 5/4 is a very good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭grattanspuds

Longwood won their first Meath IFC title in 76 years when beating Ballinlough in the final four weeks ago. They would've been seen as rank outsiders at the start of the season having contested the previous three relegation play offs. They don't have any marquee inter county players like Declan Byrne in particular but county defender Mickey Burke aka the Honey Badger is the heart beat of the team which is built around an effective defensive game plan and a hard work ethic. Chris and Eoin Lynch wouldn't be far off the county panel. Both those lads have been excellent in the centre of defence. Ryan Moore is a classy player at centre forward. His distribution and free taking ability is vital. Inside men Wayne Leonard and Aaron Ennis are other big players for the Wood. They only use two-three subs max a game which suggests they wouldn't have a strong bench. Hurling has been number 1 in Longwood over the past while but they've very capable footballers. Longwood have history with St Mochtas as both teams met in the 2009 Leinster JFC final which the Wood won after extra time.

Very good, thanks. Mochtas would have been outsiders in Louth too but improved as the year went on. They are missing a key midfielder through honeymoon and star forward Ciaran Byrne who left AFL side Carlton to come home for the latter stages of the championship, only to break his ankle in the final. They’re a very united outfit so you’d imagine this will be a close game either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dots1982 wrote: »

Would be lovely to get another one of those! Still no odds on this weekend's Leinster junior games.

Two mile house in the leinster IFC this year. Will be hard stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Rhode -5 @5/6 against st pats tomorrow pats out celebrating after beating rathnew today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Rhode -5 @5/6 against st pats tomorrow pats out celebrating after beating rathnew today

thanks ,,like these sort of bets ,, did you hear for sure pats are out tonight tho ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Juwwi wrote: »
    thanks ,,like these sort of bets ,, did you hear for sure pats are out tonight tho ?

I'd be very surprised to hear that they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

robbiezero wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised to hear that they were.

As would I, not that it'll make a difference, they're playing 2 games in 2 days, Rhode minus the handicap is an absolute lump job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Their full forward and full back were swamping jager bombs at 3.53am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

On another note, is there any value in st Jude's tomorrow? Kilmacud having to play two days on the spin.

Or is the hurling team personnel very different to the football?

On another note, is there any value in st Jude's tomorrow? Kilmacud having to play two days on the spin.

Or is the hurling team personnel very different to the football?

Yes, Practically if not zero crossover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Yes, Practically zero crossover.

Fair play, thanks for that. It's some luxury isn't it, compared to dual clubs down the country where you need every man you can get!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

djPSB wrote: »
    Their full forward and full back were swamping jager bombs at 3.53am.

baffles me the irish culture towards drink, could have done this sunday night either way

manafana wrote: »
    baffles me the irish culture towards drink, could have done this sunday night either way

Yep, its a staggering lack of ambition. Says a lot about Wicklow football really.

• Advertisement

Yep I didn't hear it I seen it rathnew are neighbours and beating them was a bigger deal than today

robbiezero wrote: »
    Yep, its a staggering lack of ambition. Says a lot about Wicklow football really.

yeah such pity after the brilliant year the clubs had last year, i suppose its still only a handful of the players by sounds but with bank holiday weekend, so easy to just rest and wait till Sunday for your piss up

manafana wrote: »
    yeah such pity after the brilliant year the clubs had last year, i suppose its still only a handful of the players by sounds but with bank holiday weekend, so easy to just rest and wait till Sunday for your piss up

It's the county board where the finger should be pointed no football played for 2 months over the summer even when the county team were finished and now the county champions are asked to play twice in 24 hours same with the intermediate hurling last week the champions were supposed to play in Leinster 24 hours before the county final. Scheduling is a shambles

It's a bit much to question these lads ambition and commitment based on an anonymous post on a public forum. For all you know, that post was complete tongue in cheek. Unless djPSB has some evidence he/she'd care to share?

It's a bit much to question these lads ambition and commitment based on an anonymous post on a public forum. For all you know, that post was complete tongue in cheek. Unless djPSB has some evidence he/she'd care to share?

Obviously its predicated on the stories being true. But its here twice and I have heard it elsewhere a few times too.

Yeah too much smoke for no fire. And yes 100% agree wicklow county board is a disgrace to end up with a county champion playing 2 in 2days.

True. It's hard most of the time to gauge teams in these competitions but can be interesting too. I'll never forget the time I backed Twomilehouse at 9/4 to beat Meath champions Drumbaragh in the Leinster junior. PP had Drumbaragh as 4/9 favourites based purely on their county's record in the competition. TMH went on to win the All Ireland. That was five years ago though. PP have raised their game since.

Shamrocks won the senior B championship in Offaly, beating Tubber in the final two weeks ago by 11 points. They played nine games to make the final and won each of those so worthy outright winners. Shamrocks have been knocking about the second tier since being relegated from senior in 2011. Offaly star Nigel Dunne is their main man at full forward. But Shamrocks are by by no means a one man team with Offaly goalkeeper Paddy Dunican and Alan Heffernan playing supporting roles inside. Dunican and Heffernan were part of the Shamrocks minor team from 2013 that won the A championship before going on to win the Eire Og Leinster tournament. Midfielders Johnny O'Toole and Andrew Delaney and wing back Gary Hutchinson were also part of their successful minor side. Shamrocks are a progressive club on both fronts and reached the SHC B final earlier this month.

Shamrocks won 1-15 to 2-7 with 14 men from the 5th minute after a red card. Unfortunately, St Vincents were well beaten by St Brigids for the double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There are a lot of clubs dotted around the county for whom a provincial championship would pale essentially into insignificance compared with winning the county title and beating rivals in the final. I wouldn't begrudge a team that decided they didn't give a toss about a competition they are 25/1 to win and get swept up in the more pressing celebrations.

It's their own work and achievements they are celebrating, I wouldn't presume to decide on their behalf whether its worth it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭langer91

Fantastic shout mate cheers, hope you filled your boots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

Nice shout all ways great to get info like this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement