Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Rhode -5 @5/6 against st pats tomorrow pats out celebrating after beating rathnew today

great stuff. boots filled. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

robbiezero wrote: »
    Yep, its a staggering lack of ambition. Says a lot about Wicklow football really.

Yes and no, for probably the majority of clubs country wide provincial success is a bonus, your priority is to win the county, for the elite clubs, those who are consistent winners of their county (or have a large pool of players like Dublin clubs), the goal is provincial success at a minimum. I saw it with my own club who were all out to win the county, their first win in 20 years, very little interest in the province, won the first round as we got a handy draw and met the big guns in the semi-final, kept it tight and respectable, but not too many tears shed at losing in late november and finally getting the boots away after an extremely satisfying season.
    Rathnew's victory last year was a case in point, they'd taken a few titles and wanted a bit more. You've the likes of Rhode, Moorefield, Portlaoise, all habitual winners for whom county success is an important stepping stone to a lenister campaign.
    For those St. Patrick's lads, yes, they could have put it off by a day, but after a bad beating, would it have taken the gloss off their win the day before? They were put in an awful situation by the county board, it's truly baffling why county championships are dragging on to this point when the vast majority of teams are gone from county football in july.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Yes and no, for probably the majority of clubs country wide provincial success is a bonus, your priority is to win the county, for the elite clubs, those who are consistent winners of their county (or have a large pool of players like Dublin clubs), the goal is provincial success at a minimum. I saw it with my own club who were all out to win the county, their first win in 20 years, very little interest in the province, won the first round as we got a handy draw and met the big guns in the semi-final, kept it tight and respectable, but not too many tears shed at losing in late november and finally getting the boots away after an extremely satisfying season.
    Rathnew's victory last year was a case in point, they'd taken a few titles and wanted a bit more. You've the likes of Rhode, Moorefield, Portlaoise, all habitual winners for whom county success is an important stepping stone to a lenister campaign.
    For those St. Patrick's lads, yes, they could have put it off by a day, but after a bad beating, would it have taken the gloss off their win the day before? They were put in an awful situation by the county board, it's truly baffling why county championships are dragging on to this point when the vast majority of teams are gone from county football in july.

excellent post; Moyle Rovers in tipp are now without their best player for Munster, took all his annual leave to play the county games

Ya, I accept that for most clubs winning the county title is the be all and end all and fair play to them, its a great achievement to win your county senior title.

But bonus territory or not, once you are in it, why not have a good cut at it. Sport is replete with giant-killing exploits and minnows having a good run in a championship - but you can't win the Lotto if you don't buy a ticket (cliche overload).
    These players might never again get to that stage, so it baffles that for the sake of a nights drinking, a team wouldn't have a good go at it. A decent run in the inter-provincials would be massive for any club and generate huge excitement in the community.
    Also St Pats are not strangers to success, that is their 4th this century, last won in 2012.
    Anyway, a few bob was made off it and that is the main thing and congrats to St Pats on winning their championship.

manafana wrote: »
    excellent post; Moyle Rovers in tipp are now without their best player for Munster, took all his annual leave to play the county games

With respect, that is hardly equivalent. There would not have been much point saving his leave for the Munster championship if they didn't get there which without him might well have been the case (almost certainly would have v Commercials).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Coolderry should easily beat Mount Leinster Rangers at home in Tullamore on Sunday. -3 is the only handicap I see offered but at 10/11 it's a steal. Coolderry will win this by a lot more than that. Unfortunately MLR are a decent side but nowhere near what they were when they got to AI final in 2014. I think the bookies still are being over generous to them with the odds cos of that.

I have gone big on Coolderry -3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

robbiezero wrote: »
    With respect, that is hardly equivalent. There would not have been much point saving his leave for the Munster championship if they didn't get there which without him might well have been the case (almost certainly would have v Commercials).

sorry i wasn't comparing them, came across wrong, was just a different point regarding. My attitude to alcohol is different to others, i'd have waited till Sunday to put feet up but thats me, and judging by comments it wasn't the whole team out for the night either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Stevecw wrote: »
    Coolderry should easily beat Mount Leinster Rangers at home in Tullamore on Sunday. -3 is the only handicap I see offered but at 10/11 it's a steal. Coolderry will win this by a lot more than that. Unfortunately MLR are a decent side but nowhere near what they were when they got to AI final in 2014. I think the bookies still are being over generous to them with the odds cos of that.

Same H'Cap is evs on Bet365

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Think celbridge in the Leinster intermediate are a big price against a team that only won the county title last weekend. Should have beaten rower instigue and carrickshock in this competition in last few years.and they would be better than ballycallan by a fair bit.
    3/1
    And throw the Meath champions in with them
    Kilteale multiple county champions at senior
    Against wexford intermediate champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭CapsLock20

Think celbridge in the Leinster intermediate are a big price against a team that only won the county title last weekend. Should have beaten rower instigue and carrickshock in this competition in last few years.and they would be better than ballycallan by a fair bit.
    3/1
    And throw the Meath champions in with them
    Kilteale multiple county champions at senior
    Against wexford intermediate champs.

Yea Celbridge have been beaten Leinster intermediate finalists three times and most recently in 2016 when they came so close to beating Carrickshock. Gerry Keegan is a big loss. I don't think he is available to them now.

Wexford champions Fethard St Mogues only won the county title last weekend after a replay. They were Leinster junior champions last year but you would still expect Kiltale to beat them.

I think Faughs should Ballinamere in the same competition. Just up from inter ranks, Ballinamere won the Offaly SHC B, beating Shamrocks in a closely contested final. Ballinamere have plenty of young talented hurlers but this is a tricky one for them away in Parnell Park to Faughs who are top of the Dublin SHC A roll of honour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Keegan is in Australia. But ballycallan are young and were blessed last weekend were 9 down and tullaroan just stopped hurling.

Does anyone know anything about Waterford intermediate winners Clonea? They had an impressive win against Garryspillane last weekend and now face Feakle from Clare in the Munster semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭franglan

Gone for the following this week:

Fenagh
    Gaoth Dobhair
    Kilcummin
    Ballintober
    Crokes

To win at 4.5/1

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hurler97

Why Fenagh??
    franglan wrote: »
    Gone for the following this week:

Fenagh
    Gaoth Dobhair
    Kilcummin
    Ballintober
    Crokes

To win at 4.5/1

hurler97 wrote: »
    Why Fenagh??

Have a couple of classy forwards who on their day can do well - couple of O'Rourke boys. Last Leitrim captain plays in the middle for them. No standout players on the Sligo team - industrial enough. Beat Adrian Marron''s team (Curry) in a replayed inter final, he got sent off early in replayed game. In fairness Curry also had Red Óg who is off to AFL now. If the likes of Ryan O' Rourke gets ball Fenagh will do well. Scored 2-08 roughly in County final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Bjwport wrote: »
    Quick question lads. PP were accepting All-Star double bets for the whole summer this year (As long as it was 1 footballer 1 hurler) and I went heavy back in early July on John Conlon and Ciaran Kilkenny, Their website says in GAA rules section that All-Stars are "singles" only.
    Does anybody know if I have much grounds to argue when I am paid at reduced odds (My stake will probably be halved). Its a bit of a joke I have a feeling that they'll say my bet is 2 singles but not until its confirmed that the 2 fellas have the awards.... Any opinion or anybody in a similar situation before? Thanks

Well, bet settled? All in order?

franglan wrote: »
    Have a couple of classy forwards who on their day can do well - couple of O'Rourke boys. Last Leitrim captain plays in the middle for them. No standout players on the Sligo team - industrial enough. Beat Adrian Marron''s team (Curry) in a replayed inter final, he got sent off early in replayed game. In fairness Curry also had Red Óg who is off to AFL now. If the likes of Ryan O' Rourke gets ball Fenagh will do well. Scored 2-08 roughly in County final

Fenagh lose by a point, up by 6 at one time. Late goal for shamrocks enough in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Just come out of Wexford park, was expecting much better team than what i saw with kiltale, fethard st mogues outfought them for most of the game, kiltale only one point in the second half fethard deserved there victory great never say die attitude from fethard all game even when down by 4 points at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bjwport

Well, bet settled? All in order?

Affirmative. Cheers. My advice for the day Naomh Eanna HT FT against Camross 11/10 with PP its only 4/5 with Boyles. Or go -2 at 11/10 thats 8/11 with Boyles.

Just got word on 3 suspensions for Naomh Eanna 1 being Dunbar so maybe best leave that be actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

1 would fancy st Thomas to cover the 3 pt handicap v sarsfields in the Galway semi final today . Thomas s would be hoping to be in Croke Park paddy’s day and if there good enough for that they should be at least a 4 pt or more winner today . . The other semi between mellows and cappy looks close enough to call and I wouldn’t put anybody of a small double on the draw .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Stevecw wrote: »

Cheers for the tip Steve. Coolderry by 6 in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Emyvale getting beaten today is a big surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cheers for the tip Steve. Coolderry by 6 in the end.

Great tip, paddy Power had marked my bet lost, had to get onto them and 10 minutes explaining they reversed it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

spurshero wrote: »
    1 would fancy st Thomas to cover the 3 pt handicap v sarsfields in the Galway semi final today . Thomas s would be hoping to be in Croke Park paddy’s day and if there good enough for that they should be at least a 4 pt or more winner today . . The other semi between mellows and cappy looks close enough to call and I wouldn’t put anybody of a small double on the draw .

Thomas s won by 5 . A point 3 mins into injury time cost us the draw as mellows won by 1

With the Boden game rearranged hope I'm not being insincere here but 7 points handicap is a bit light in my opinion. Boden hit big scores everyday as you do with marquee forward men. They also play at home.
    They hit 3-23 QF
    2-16 SF
    2-17 Final
    2-15 Final replay

Clonkill have a shaky defence they conceded 5 goals in their semi. They hit 1-13 in the final. They are going to be playing against better backs where scores are hard come by. They may concede in around the 3-20 mark and might score around 1-12, Only my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Stevecw wrote:

Thanks for this, put a few quid on myself

Bjwport wrote: »
    With the Boden game rearranged hope I'm not being insincere here but 7 points handicap is a bit light in my opinion. Boden hit big scores everyday as you do with marquee forward men. They also play at home.
    They hit 3-23 QF
    2-16 SF
    2-17 Final
    2-15 Final replay

Clonkill have a shaky defence they conceded 5 goals in their semi. They hit 1-13 in the final. They are going to be playing against better backs where scores are hard come by. They may concede in around the 3-20 mark and might score around 1-12, Only my opinion

Good argument. Throw in the fact that Clonkill will be missing one of their most influential players Shane Power due to a suspension carrying over from their last game in Leinster against Oulart three years ago. Actually a few of their county men were away on a Westmeath team holiday to Tenerife last week and only returned on the Thursday night. They wouldn't have been in the best shape for a game on the Sunday but they've a few extra days to recover now. I'm surprised the fixture has been rescheduled for the day of the funeral of the little girl. (May she rest in peace. A devastating tragedy). Her dad was a mainstay of this Clonkill team for years. The Clonkill players will take to the field at Parnell Park having attended the funeral just hours previous. Where will their minds be? To quote a poster on another forum, the game is "totally inconsequential now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

Interesting that Louth-Based Spoyle Sports are offering 11/8 on Louth IFC champions St Mochtas this weekend against Laois IFC champions Courtwood. Powers have St Mochtas 4/5 favourites. I don't know the slightest thing about either team but interesting that Boyles are sticking their neck out a bit on a somewhat local team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Same As wrote: »
    Interesting that Louth-Based Spoyle Sports are offering 11/8 on Louth IFC champions St Mochtas this weekend against Laois IFC champions Courtwood. Powers have St Mochtas 4/5 favourites. I don't know the slightest thing about either team but interesting that Boyles are sticking their neck out a bit on a somewhat local team.
    Boyles tend to do this as well with Armagh clubs as well... owner is from Carrickcruppen Armagh if I remember correctly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement