Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Betting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If Dublin win the five in a row I don't believe the journos will allow another Andy Moran/Lee Keegan vs split vote situation to occur, i.e. there will almost certainly be three Dubs nominated by the journos if Dublin win again.

Say we assume Dublin win, would anyone lay me evens on three Dubs being nominated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Got on this today,

I see he's in to 11s now. My tenner must have moved the market:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Is a handicap of 16 on Longford u20s v Dublin up in Longford tonight what people would expect?
    Seems huge for a 60 minute away game even for the Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

I see he's in to 11s now. My tenner must have moved the market:P

You can presume I had a good go at it before I posted!

keane2097 wrote: »
    If Dublin win the five in a row I don't believe the journos will allow another Andy Moran/Lee Keegan vs split vote situation to occur, i.e. there will almost certainly be three Dubs nominated by the journos if Dublin win again.

Say we assume Dublin win, would anyone lay me evens on three Dubs being nominated?

Probably worth asking PP for a price on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's an interesting one actually. There's been very little hype about any Dublin players this year. Last year at this stage we knew Kilkenny, Fenton and Brian Howard were cleaning up. Maybe Costello this year prior to the last day, now he might be dropped. And it'll be more of the same in the Super 8s, they'll breeze through game 1 and 2, noone will care, game 3 versus Tyrone will probably be a challenge game. So they'll be coming into a semi with no hype about anyone whereas on the other side you've Murphy, Brennan, likely Clifford, AOS or Walsh or someone depending on who makes a final. Jack McCaffrey got motm in both the semi and final last year and only got nominated and didn't win it. I can see every Dublin player starting from that kind of 'standing start' this year. I probably think it's bigger than evens but I dunno am I willing to lay it! Il think more

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clippett

If you think they win the 5 in a row then a far better bet is to just take the 1/2 on them doing so rather than Evs on what you hope the journalists will do.. on something they have never done before iirc .. EVS is a lay at this point in champ imo

Clippett wrote: »
    If you think they win the 5 in a row then a far better bet is to just take the 1/2 on them doing so rather than Evs on what you hope the journalists will do.. on something they have never done before iirc .. EVS is a lay at this point in champ imo

(In terms of 'something they have never done before', if you mean the panel nominating three Dublin players they did so in 2015 and 2018, i.e. half the times during the four in a row. )

The question is around a discussion of value in the POTY market. Specifically if backing guys like Michael Murphy, Sean O'Shea etc represents value in a situation where Dublin are 60-70% (at least) likely to have just won five in a row. I didn't ask what people would lay at is point in the Championship - I asked what people would lay on the assumption that Dublin had won the AI.

There is undoubtedly a meta element to this where a journalist panel (with John Costello as Chairman by the way), having a conversation will certainly discuss whether or not they are willing to countenance an Andy Moran type result in a year in which Dublin have completed an emblematic achievement in terms of dominance.

Just to clarify again, this is all for the purposes of trying to assess the FOTY market. If you're trying to figure out whether, say, Jonny Cooper at 150/1 is better value than Michael Murphy at 11/1 the meta of the nomination process is something I reckon people ought to be thinking about.

Edit just to flesh out the above:
    If you believe, like me, that if Dublin win they are way shorter than evens to get three nominations then Cooper EW @ 150s is potentially much better value than Murphy at 11s, as Cooper being one of probably only 6/7 guaranteed starters for Dublin has a much chunkier chance of being one of the three picked in the end than the EW odds suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CorkeryABU

Don’t think Cooper even played Leinster, 😂😂😂😂
    (In terms of 'something they have never done before', if you mean the panel nominating three Dublin players they did so in 2015 and 2018, i.e. half the times during the four in a row. )

The question is around a discussion of value in the POTY market. Specifically if backing guys like Michael Murphy, Sean O'Shea etc represents value in a situation where Dublin are 60-70% (at least) likely to have just won five in a row. I didn't ask what people would lay at is point in the Championship - I asked what people would lay on the assumption that Dublin had won the AI.

There is undoubtedly a meta element to this where a journalist panel (with John Costello as Chairman by the way), having a conversation will certainly discuss whether or not they are willing to countenance an Andy Moran type result in a year in which Dublin have completed an emblematic achievement in terms of dominance.

Just to clarify again, this is all for the purposes of trying to assess the FOTY market. If you're trying to figure out whether, say, Jonny Cooper at 150/1 is better value than Michael Murphy at 11/1 the meta of the nomination process is something I reckon people ought to be thinking about.

If you believe, like me, that if Dublin win they are way shorter than evens to get three nominations then Cooper EW @ 150s is potentially much better value than Murphy at 11s, as Cooper being one of probably only 6/7 guaranteed starters for Dublin has a much chunkier chance of being one of the three picked in the end than the EW odds suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BandMember

As in the Dublin County Board Chief Executive and Cormac Costello's father?

If so, then THAT is bound to be a completely objective and well balanced conversation they will have.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Maybe they’ll do the opposite and ensure only Dublin player is up for POTY to ensure there is no split vote and he gets it!
    Dublin to beat Kerry in final and Cooper Murphy and Clifford all to be nominated to ensure that cooper gets across the line.
    (Cooper could be any Dublin player really)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

The term "faux-outrage" comes to mind.
    I'm sure the Hurlers are at home looking at the odds with their blood boiling :rolleyes:
    https://twitter.com/Jamwall7/status/1146107234671300614?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Anyone see a price for Cluxton for player of the year ?

Anyone see a price for Cluxton for player of the year ?

PP 12/1
    Boyles 14/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

PP 12/1
    Boyles 14/1

Has shortened up a good bit in the last 10 days or so. Was 25/1 & 33/1 with the Irish books and shortened to the above prices.

Has a very good chance to place at least imo as I personally can't see Dublin being turned over right now.

Same As wrote: »
    Has shortened up a good bit in the last 10 days or so. Was 25/1 & 33/1 with the Irish books and shortened to the above prices.

Has a very good chance to place at least imo as I personally can't see Dublin being turned over right now.

I believe he was originally 60/1 or 66/1 or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Is Dublin at 1/2 for Sam becoming more and more attractive ?
    None of the other contenders have looked threatening really , Donegal perhaps and Kerry’s tradition the only 2 possible flys in the ointment ??.. Tyrone beaten already by Donegal .
    Dublin surely come out of super 8 group , 2 matchs then , what would worst scenario be , a semi final against Donegal and final v Kerry .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

Current P/L for Racing Post Tipsters (Excluding Outright Selections in Post #9406)

Jennings: +51.29
    Mulvihill: -18.94

Jennings Recommendations 6/7/2019

Mayo (Mayo vs Galway)
    2pts 10-11 general

Laois (Laois vs Cork)
    3pts 21-10, Betfair, Ladbrokes, Paddy Power

Cavan (Cavan vs Tyrone)
    1pt 4-1 BoyleSports

Cavan +5 (Cavan vs Tyrone)
    3pts 5-6 Betway, BoyleSports

Cavan-Cavan double result (Cavan vs Tyrone)
    1pt 9-1 Betway

Under 33.5 points (Cavan vs Tyrone)
    2pts 5-6 Betfair, Paddy Power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭franglan

Gone for over 14.5 points Mayo @8/15 and a double of Tyrone - 2 and Cork - 1 @1.61/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

What thoughts on tonights most interesting game, Mayo v Galway ?

Mayo 10/11
    Draw 15/2
    Galway 6/5

Cillian O'Connor starting for Mayo, but Lee Keegan out.

Damien Comer, Paul Conroy both probably starting for Galway but after long spells out with injuries.

Mayo just snuck past Armagh last Sat. Are they tired?

Galway fell apart in 2nd half of Connaught final loss to Roscommon....but have had a few weeks to re-gather themselves.

The draw actually looks enticing here....and a fresher Galway to win in extra time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭CapsLock20

Cork might be worth a punt for goals.

Six goals in their two championship matches to date
    3-18 against Limerick
    3-10 against Kerry

And Laois shipped three against Meath

Mayo (Mayo vs Galway)
    2pts 10-11 general

Laois (Laois vs Cork)

Cavan (Cavan vs Tyrone)
    1pt 4-1 BoyleSports

1pt 9-1 Betway

Does this guy have a good record? Laois and especially Cavan would be against conventional wisdom there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

Mayo (Mayo vs Galway)
    2pts 10-11 general

Laois (Laois vs Cork)

Cavan (Cavan vs Tyrone)
    1pt 4-1 BoyleSports

1pt 9-1 Betway

Does this guy have a good record? Laois and especially Cavan would be against conventional wisdom there...
    In fairness since the start of the championship
    Season he has being excellent and for example if you had put 20 on each selection you would be up over 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Any football qualifier to go to penalties 50/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

CapsLock20 wrote: »
    Cork might be worth a punt for goals.

Six goals in their two championship matches to date
    3-18 against Limerick
    3-10 against Kerry

And Laois shipped three against Meath

I could not be more strongly opposed - Pretty much all of these 6 goals would fall all into the the awful category in terms of the defending teams - I only saw the Limerick goals in the Sunday Game highlights but the Limerick backs were very poor from what I saw - for one of the Corks goals the Limerick backs didn't do much more than stand in place. I've watched the goals in the Kerry game back a couple of times and from a defensive point of view the goals were in the category of gifts. Bar the goals I would have serious concerns over Cork's overall forward play - if they do get by Laois I would not be shocked if Dublin and Tyrone both kept them to less than 10 points. I could see Roscommon shutting them down to but not to the same extent. They have been able to get scores in the Limerick and Kerry games because they came up against two defences that were awful, lacking intensity and didn't put them under any sort of serious defensive pressure. Even still their forwards were wasteful (from the reports I read of the Limerick game) and what I saw from the Cork game (watching it live and back)

No goals is far more likely in my opinion (even though Laois are a team that have had some issues with conceding goals)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork footballers over 1.5 goals 6/4 Bet365
    Brian Hurley anytime goalscorer 23/10 pp - nice price I think.

spurshero wrote: »
    Season he has being excellent and for example if you had put 20 on each selection you would be up over 1000.

I doubt if his life depended on it he'd call Cavan to beat Tyrone but I suppose every tipster has to throw in the odd curveball.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭grattanspuds

spurshero wrote: »

He has an excellent record this year but no-one will ever convince me that he has the first clue about the game. For what it ’s worth I’d have the opposite view of all his selections tonight

My weekend acca: Galway straight win and Tyrone and Meath on the handicap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Under 1.5 goals in tyrone Cavan 9/4

Over 35 points in cork game
    Tyrone under 20.5 points
    Double 11/4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement